It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• when will generic oxycontin be available again?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #1
    jimmiesjenn
    (female)

jimmiesjenn HB User
    when will generic oxycontin be available again?

when will generic oxycontin be available again? I have been on this drug for 4 years after a horible car accident....I had medicaid, but they dropped me and on mt fixed income, I cannot afford $200-$250 a prescription for the name brand....I am in trouble with chronic pain, and dont know what to do!! please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User
    Re: when will generic oxycontin be available again?

I am in the same boat but mine is running 500.00 a month and every month its going up and I don't know why, if its my insurance or the manufacture of the medication. I do not think the generic it will be availalbe again as purdue who makes oxycontin name brand has won a law suit and generics are no longer availalbe as they can't be made by anyone else but Purdue ( name brand).

there are plenty of other Long acting medications you can take, your going to have to switch to something else. talk to your Dr and your insurance company on what they will pay for and your going to have to try something else. MAybe morphine or methadone or something else LA.

Good luck! I know its really a bummer b/c it also works very well for my pain and I am scared to be trying something new BUT I can't pay these outrageous prices so they will be loosing my business!!! ! its the unknow if anything else will cover my pain as well as the oxyontin does. I hope what ever you find will work well for you.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
    gregar
    (male)

gregar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post
    I am in the same boat but mine is running 500.00 a month and every month its going up and I don't know why, if its my insurance or the manufacture of the medication. I do not think the generic it will be availalbe again as purdue who makes oxycontin name brand has won a law suit and generics are no longer availalbe as they can't be made by anyone else but Purdue ( name brand).

there are plenty of other Long acting medications you can take, your going to have to switch to something else. talk to your Dr and your insurance company on what they will pay for and your going to have to try something else. MAybe morphine or methadone or something else LA.

Good luck! I know its really a bummer b/c it also works very well for my pain and I am scared to be trying something new BUT I can't pay these outrageous prices so they will be loosing my business!!! ! its the unknow if anything else will cover my pain as well as the oxyontin does. I hope what ever you find will work well for you.

Ouch! You are paying $500 a month for your Oxycontin with insurance? I'm taking 30mg Oxycontin 4x a day and my monthly is $68 for name brand from my local drug store. And after this next month my doctor is going to let me send my oxy in to Medco (I get all my other meds through Medco 3 months at a time) which will give me 3 months at a time for $64 for all 3 months. I made sure I could get them through mail order and they said yes and gave me that price. Something doesn't seem right if you are having to pay that much with insurance, but I don't know. Maybe you are taking a lot higher dose and that is causing the price to be so much.

In any case I'm very sorry for the OP, I wish I had something for you, some advice or info that might help but I don't know what to do. I know that not having a choice for generic really hurt some people and it seems wrong that Purdue can charge so much because there's no one else to get it from.

Last edited by gregar; 07-28-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slipperyslope View Post

Jimmiesjenn, I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. I know my pharmacist and my pain management doc both said that they do not believe that we will see another generic for oxycontin for a long time, if ever.

SS is right on the mark. There are several other forms of long-acting meds available. I know that many docs prescribe methadone for patients who have no insurance or are on medicaid and I have read here on the boards that many who take it feel it is the best pain med they have ever taken. I agree that you should speak with your doc about an alternative. I would hope that he/she would be more than willing to help.

Best of luck. Please keep us posted, OK? And welcome to the board. CMP/MM

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I am not on a huge dose, only 40 mgs times 3 a day, 90 a month. my insurance will NOT pay for the drug at all, that is my out of pocket price, with NO INSURANCE.

If you didn't have insurance you would also pay a LOT more for the drug. your insurance is picking up a large portion of the drug and you are very lucky! this medication is BIG BUCKS.... Generics cost me 40.00 a month, I am so bummed about this but purdue has lost my business. I refuse to give them that kind of money anymore. once I see a PM I will be getting off this medication.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
    Bilbo
    Veteran
    (male)

Bilbo HB User

I ran into the same problem when my insurance ended. I could not afford Oxy and had to go with methadone. I can only speak for myself and do not want to dissuade others from trying it, but it hasnt worked all that well for me. Pain relief is so so and the side effects are much worse. It really messes with my sleep patterns, wipes out all my energy and makes me sweat profusely.

I have been on PM meds for nearly five years and Oxy was by far the best med. I have tried Kadian and Avinza but found I need too much BT meds. Oxy seemed to be the middle ground between SA meds like Norco and LA meds like Kadian. I also was on Fentanyl patch and I just had to hard of a time with my skin and the patch. The patch itself wouldn't stay on and the bioclusive covering caused me to rash really bad.

I pray for all of us in the same position that someday they will allow generic Oxy. Who can afford $100's of dollars each month when they are on a fixed income? Doesn't make sense.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

If generic Oxy ever hits the market again, it won't be until after 2013. That's when Purdue's patent is up again. Personally, when I was on Oxycontin, the brand worked wonders. I had to switch to the generic due to my insurance (it was the Teva generic) and it was horrible!!!! It did nothing for my pain and made me nauseous/vomit all day.

So, I switched to Methadone, where I'm at now. WOW!!!!! What a difference in pain control. Methadone is the best med I've ever been on (been on all of them) and it's very cheap, too. For example, Methadone 10 mg pills quantity #225 is only $45. Have you thought of changing to Methadone? There are other LA meds available, so you do have some wiggle room to find the one that works for you.

Shay

Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd let you all know that there is a sticky up toward the top of this page that gives info on getting assistance with prescription meds. I haven't checked the web sites out yet, but I'm going to take a look.

CMP/MM

Closed Thread