It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• has anyone had a good effect from opana?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User
    has anyone had a good effect from opana?

I'm just curious because they don't seem to do anything for my pain. I have not read anything positive on a search here...anyone have anything positive to say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: has anyone had a good effect from opana?

The claim to fame of Opana is that it is supposed to target the receptors that do not cause excitement or euphoria. However, the med really hasn't caught on in terms of being a really popular LA med. Part of the issue is cost, as it's expensive, and part of it is that it's competitors, especially OC, work really well.

I have read other places where people have had very favorable experiences with the med. I personally have not tried it. I think it's also important to note that sites such as this one, most tend to frequent it because they need support, or help. As we say in Marketing...You don't hear from the folks very often who have had positive experiences with your product or service....Just like @ a restaurant....Most who fill out the comment cards or ask to speak to the mgr, have had negative experiences. This may be part of the issue.

I think I would give it the ole college try and see what happens....After all, your Doc is supposed to be looking after your best interests. However, if it doesn't work, I would be very upfront with him re: your feedback.

Good luck, and I hope things work out well.

Ex

Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

I have been giving the doc feedback.
    I started on 20mg 2x a day-he upped me the next month to 30mg 2x a day. Now, I guess, to back me off he's got me down to 20mg 2x a day.
    My other problem, which unfortunately coincides with this, is the change over from Amide to Mallinckrodt oxycodone.
    Whoever said that they are all the same (usually the pharmacist or the insurance company) has never been in my position. I've had insomnia and headaches since the changeover. (WHY???)
    I guess I'll wait and see what happens at my next appointment-things could always be worse. Thanks, Ex

Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
    Lou1
    (male)

Lou1 HB User

Being put on Opana was a nightmare for me. I was prescribed 40 mg 3x daily (switching from oxycontin). Within 24 hours after starting the Opana I began having MASSIVE panic attacks and ended up being out of work for 7 weeks while I was stabilized from the experience. Panic attacks IS a known side effect (affecting up to 10% of the users) that seems unique to Opana amongst the LA opiates. Like Ex said, this drug targets different receptors in the brain and apparently (in some folks anyways), it triggers panic attacks.

I am not an individual prone to attacks of panic, but this drug completely disabled me. Until it was completely out of my system, I was an emotional wreck. I am now prescribed morphine 30mg 3x daily that I am tolerating better than either the oxycontin or Opana, but it is not enough to cover my pain now that I am back at work.

I certainly do not want to frighten anyone considering starting a regimen of Opana. Remember, we are all different and each drug reacts completely differently in each of us. Opana may be someone else's God-send in pain relief where it was a nightmare for me. Follow your doctor's instructions.

Lou

Closed Thread