It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Strange New Symptoms - Getting A Bit Nervous

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User
    Strange New Symptoms - Getting A Bit Nervous

Hello All,

As some of you may know, I have recently had some med changes/increases. They are as follows........
    • Increase in Oxycontin, from 20mg 3x/day to 20mg 4x/day
    • Change from Vicodin 7.5/500, up to 6x/day to Norco, 10/325, up to 6x/day

I have also been prescribed Toprol XL 50mg 2x/day and Triamterene/HCTZ 37.5/25mgs 1x/day (about 4 months ago) for recently discovered high BP.

My Soma 350mg 3x/day is the same and I take .5mg Xanax very occasionally for anxiety.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been having sporadic episodes where I will have vision problems. They are hard to describe, but I will try my best. I will be doing my usual daily things, no specific times, and suddenly I will notice an "aura" of sorts. Almost like someone has taken my picture with a flash about 10 times in a row. The aura is only around the perifery, somewhat like tunnel vision. If I close my eyes and lay down for a bit, it will go away. I don't have any pain with it, just a bit of a "wierd" feeling.

I'm not a total stranger to similar "auras/flashes", because I have always had them as a warning sign before a migraine, but in these cases, no migraine follows. (Thank God) I just can't seem to be able to figure out what is causing this. I know I should probably call my doctor, and I will, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen due to an increase or change in meds. And if so, was it temporary? I've also been having some nerve related problems lately too, like numbness and tingling in my arms, hands, legs and feet. I've had disc problems in all areas of my spine for years, and have brought this to my PM's attention, but wasn't having the vision problems at that time, so it didn't come up.

Thank you in advance for any info. I just wanted to run it by my very knowledgeable friends here, before calling my GP's office. I've had so many issues with this office in the past year or so, that I hate having to call them unless it is absolutely necessary. My hubby gets freaked out about it and keeps wanting to take me to the ER when it happens. Thank you and God Bless, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User
    Re: Strange New Symptoms - Getting A Bit Nervous

Hey Sugar - I hate to hear something else has come up but I guess such is the way of our lives - I also have migraines and get an an aura - I have also been getting an occasional aura over the last few months - it is a bit different than the one that preceeds my migraines - the meds that we both take are oxy, soma, and occasional xanax (60 over 6 months)
    my doc does not know what causes it but has speculated from what he has heard over the years that patients sometimes get dry eyes and also extremely minor eye disturbances from oxy - I will quiz him some more it it is really a problem for you
    huggs Aver

Old 07-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Aver that is very interesting. I too am on the oxy, soma, with percocet. I have noticed that I get intense pain in my eyes but no aura which I get with migraines. When I shut my eyes for just a few minutes it becomes better. When you are closing your eyes, you are making them moist. Maybe the oxy is drying out eyes. Hmmmm.....

I just checked and it is not a side effect of oxycontin but epilepsy or other seizure disorder are. You don't think it is this do you?

I would definitely run all your symptoms by your gp. Take care of yourself. I am worried about you.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
    hessie28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

The only thing I notice is my eyes get blurry. I assume from the meds. Never mentioned to the Dr.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Aver and Pepper, I was looking up side effects on the printout from the pharmacy and also the web, but could not find anything in reference to this either. When it first started happening, I was afraid it might be my BP, but I have taken it twice now in the midst of these "episodes" and it was fine.

I've thought it might just be peri-menopause, but I did a search on the Meno board, but couldn't find anyone else who has mentioned it. I have gotten paranoid in my old age, I guess. I start thinking tumor or stroke or something else really traumatic. I was actually mulling it over in my head today and remembered that my dad had vision problems that ended up being a pit tumor like Steve's. So, naturally I started obsessing about that. (Steve, if you see this, does any of it sound familiar?

I guess I could call and ask the pharmacist, or I could call my GP's office, but as I said before, I try not to deal with them unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of the PA's don't ever seem to hava a clue about anything! Nothing against PA's. Just the ones in my GP's office.

I'll let you know if I find out anything more. Thanks for the replies. As usual, you guys are awsome. Hugs, CMP/MM

Thank you too Hessie. We must have posted at the same time.

Last edited by cmpgirl; 07-30-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User
    Wink Re: Strange New Symptoms - Getting A Bit Nervous

I will quiz my doc on this - he is really great about givng me information that is a little off beat - he is a great source of information about those little
    obscure things that people complain about but are not things that have been recognized by any government agency - it seems to be of real interest to him

It seems to me that people that get migraines are always having little weird things going on with their central nervous sytem - sometimes they are little things that are not worthy of a doctor's appointment (everything is miniscule when you are a cp patient) but just enough to be annoying - I keep having this ping going on in my right eye, I have it one day and the next two weeks nothing - it's always something
    huggs Aver

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I would ask the pharmacist first before going to your PA. They are more informed about medications and interactions then the PA. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thank you again ladies,

I will call my pharmacy tomorrow. Since it is my PM who prescribes my pain meds and my GP who prescribes my BP meds, the pharmacist is more neutral, hence, a better person to ask. I know that docs hear from some of their patients about side effects and such, but it isn't possible to attend to their patients and be a med expert as well. It's what the pharmacist does every day.

Thanks Aver, for offering to check with your doc. If I don't find some sort of answer by the time you talk to him, I may take you up on it.

Pepper: You said you don't get the auras, but when you get the pain, is there any blurriness or feeling of tunnel vision? That's the part that makes them different from a pre-migraine aura for me.

I'll post back tomorrow if I get an answer. Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

No tunnel vision but I have to rub my eyes because they are blurry.

It has only been 24 hours since my increase in dosage but I am now noticing a headache for the first 2 hours after taking the dose. Do you experience this?

FYI - It sounds like we have some symptoms and all experience migraines. I wonder if it is a connection between oxy and migraine suffers?

Aver, I would be very interested what you doc has to say and I will run it by my doc next week.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I did a little research (because you know that's what I love to do). Here is what I found about the vision problems:

The following adverse reactions occurred in less than 1% of patients involved in clinical trials or were reported in postmarketing experience.

Eye disorders: abnormal vision

I have had something similar happen and I am not sure if it's the fentanyl patch or the Lyrica. Sometimes I have problems focusing my vision but it's pretty rare. Maybe it happens if I get a spike in my fentanyl(like taking a hot shower for too long).

brian

p.s. I am sure it will go away after you get used to the dose that you were increased too. Try not to get too paranoid about it(easier said than done). I know.

Last edited by brianpain33; 07-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Pepper,

When I first started my new increased doses of both the oxy and my BT, I had a dull headache for about a week. I found if I took 1-2 Advil every 6-8 hours or so, it would keep it on the back burner. Didn't make it go away, just made it more tolerable. I haven't really had this type of "med hangover" since.

I started my new med regimine in early June and I'm really hoping this vision thing is just a delayed side effect. There is still this sinking feeling I keep getting in my gut, that this isn't the case. My hubby thinks I should go see the eye doc. Maybe that would be wiser. I get so tired of having yet one more thing popping up. It just feels like I'm slowly falling apart at 46. I am curious to see if maybe it is related to migraine sufferers who take oxycontin. Nothing would surprise me!

My migraines have always seemed to be hormone related. Years ago, when I was first suffering from constant migraines, it turned out to be from oral contraceptives. Now, in the past couple of years, my GYN and I have figured out that they are due to the hormonal fluctuation from peri-menopause. He said this is somewhat common. In between these two time periods, I would get 2-3 a year and they were always related to changes in barometric pressure. Hopefully one of us will figure this out!

Thanks hon, CMP/MM

Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #12
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thanks Brian,

I really appreciate the research. Now that you mention it, I think at least a few of the times this has happened, it was on days when it was really hot and humid or I had been more active than usual and overheated. If that's what it is, I'll be super relieved.

As I just said to Pepper, I think my hubby's suggestion to see the eye doc is probably not a bad idea, so I think I'll call and set up an appointment, just to cover my bases.

Man, it's good to have you back. You always come through. Hope you're feeling good tonight.

Many hugs, CMP/MM

Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #13
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I didn't see this until this morning. I started taking Oxycodone and Flexeril on a regular basis about 2 1/2 months ago. Since then I've noticed that I have more difficulty seeing close up, at times everything seems blurry. I am already severly nearsighted and wear glasses at all times except when sleeping, I guess that anything like an aura I would just think it's a reflection on the glasses. Since the eye Dr. has been after me for about 3-4 years to get bifocals I just assumed that it was getting to the point where I really need them, now I'm wondering. I've got to see the eye dr soon anyway I'm pretty sure I need at least a pair of reading glasses, and I will ask about this.

I have noticed that using OTC eye drops that are just saline helps some. If the meds are causing dryness that would explain it. They have some that come in little individual vials that are easy to carry. It's always a good idea to get your eyes checked out at least every two years.

Tigg.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

I had to be taken off of Topomax because of vision problems. It's common with Topomax and similar drugs.. If you take any of these please see your doc.

It actually caused nasty infections in both eyes, but it's more common to have what you describe.

steve

Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
    Aver00
    Veteran
    (female)

Aver00 HB User

Hey Cmper - how are the symptoms - I sure wish you could find out what is causing all this - as I said I have had that type of weird aura the past few months but nothing that would cause alarm like yours - I guess with migraines and now siezures at my age I expect to be a little off balance neuro wise - I think the eye appointment is a good idea - good luck and well wishes huggs Aver

Closed Thread