It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Is Mallin really worse than Ethex Generic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
    sharonn
    (female)

sharonn HB User
    Is Mallin really worse than Ethex Generic?

This is the first time I got this generic and after reading all about the generics here I don't know if I am being neurotic or if I really don't feel as great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: Is Mallin really worse than Ethex Generic?

Dear Sharonn,

Seriously, the few times that I used the Mallin generic Hydromorphone (Dilaudid)...I did not feel well. As soon as I went back to the Roxane generic Hydromorphone (Dilaudid), I felt much better. It doesn't seem like there should be a difference, but there was.

Previously, Executor explained in detail the differences companies are allowed to have in their generic medications...so, I think various companies can get away with not putting the exact amount of the active ingredient in the formulation! I may be completely wrong, but I do have the experience of the way I felt when I took that particular generic!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

Sharonn,

I've not used the [removed] , but I can say that Ethex is very poor. When I switched from Ethex generic MS Contin to the Endo generic it actually felt like I had been provided with a dose increase, it was that much better.

steve

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi Sharonn,

I've used Mallin before. One word.....HORRIBLE!!!
    This generic shouldn't even be allowed on the shelf. The reason it is, is because it's the cheapest of all the generics, so the pharmacies really like it. It's not just you, trust me. Other members here will tell you there experiences, as well.

Shay

P.S. If you must use generics, Watson and Roxanne are really good, that is, if the med you are on comes in those generics. I use the Roxanne generic for my LA med. One time, the pharmacy didn't have the Roxanne and I had to use Mallin for the month. Oh my God!! I went into withdrawal with that crap!! I was stuck with it for the month due to my PM contract about using only 1 pharmacy. They could have ordered the Roxanne brand, but it would have taken over a week and I needed my med that day because it was the last day of my previous script.

Last edited by friendly_one; 08-13-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: add info

Old 08-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User

Thanks for posting this. I checked my MS Contin yesterday and noticed it was MalinXX. I wonder if my "tolerance" to morphine has anything to do with the fact that it's malin...

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:21 AM.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

I just had an increase from my PM from Vicodin to Norco and the Norco is manufactured by..... guess who? This is the first time I've had one of their products prescribed and I am not impressed.

I have not felt ANY increase in breakthrough pain control. If anything, I have been taking my full number of allowable BT the past week. This should not be the case with a dose increase.

I will be researching other pharm companies to see if anyone else makes Norco and if they do (Please, God!) I'll be asking my pharmacy to stock them from now on.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
    badoldback
    (male)

badoldback HB User

For me, Ethex was absolutely the worst, followed closely by Mallincrodt. Roxane and Actavis(Amide) were the best.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
    friendly_one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

friendly_one HB User

Hi CMP,

Watson does make a generic of Norco. When I used it years ago (before PM), I couldn't tell the difference between the Watson generic and the Norco brand. They are even the same size and color....yellow. I hope your pharmacy carries it, if not, ask them to order it.

Shay

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Thanks Shay! As always, you are my "lady-knight" in shining armor! I'll check with my pharmacy. Hugs, CMP/MM

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User

Ok, I just called a pharmacy I am [now *was*] considering switching to, and they said they would not order the generics I requested and that I would have to go with whatever they regularly ordered. I thought I read that a pharmacy *had* to order the generic med requested by the patient. Is this a state by state thing, or is the pharmacist wrong here? If the pharmacist is wrong, any suggestions on how to address this? *Something* goes wrong *every* month at my current pharmacy. While neither is truly an independent pharmacy, they aren't big chains either.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Is Mallinreally worse than Ethex Generic?

I don't think pharmacies "have to" order meds for you...I could be wrong though. Most will out of respect for you as a customer and an effort to please you / earn your business.

This topic has been discussed @ length on this board and I think the bottom line is this...."Chains" are less likely to special order meds due to their complex inventory mgt programs and emphasis on cost control. Conversely, independents are more likely to special order as the pharmacists own the store and want every customer they can get. Chains get their meds from large master distribution centers and it just doesn't make financial sense for them to bring a med in just for one patient.

I would call around and see who will order it for you. Your PM Doc will more than likely allow you to switch pharmacies based on the inability to get certain meds.

Good luck,

Ex

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-13-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
    forginon
    Inactive
    (male)

forginon HB User

That's correct Ex.

I have an outstanding privately owned pharmacy and they will not order the Roxanol for me (I think that's the name for the brand liquid oxycodone concentrate).

steve

Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #13
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

I have switched from a chain pharmacy to a family owned pharmacy. Probably one of the few remaining ones in the area. They carry the name brand oxycodone, while the chain did not. It was actually my PM's office that suggested it when I could not find the 30mg's due to the "recall".

Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
    Roland82
    (male)

Roland82 HB User

I have found that Actavis (formerly Amide) is the best, the worst for me is Ethex, with Mallinckrodt in the middle. The Ethex made me feel sick with little pain relief, I hated it so much I stopped taking it altogether and was in serious pain while I worked through getting it replaced with Mallinckrodt. The Actavis is unavailable due to an unrelated recall from the plant that makes it. Hopefully it is back soon.

Closed Thread