It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Question concerning Percocet and Oxycontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Question concerning Percocet and Oxycontin

Pepper, I took your suggestion & took a look at this thread. Wow, I feel like I am back in school,lol. As I say I am in introduction to PM 101,lol.
    I have learned alot from the pm posts over time. I am on percocet 10-325 every four hrs, & with the PMs permission can take 2 in the morning if need be. I always think well thats alot of meds, but in reality looking at some of the posts its not.
    Moldova, I am like you afraid of building a tolerance. I am allowed 6 per day, but try harder then heck to stay at 5, knowing I often need the 6. I will try motrin or my MR to do my best to avoid the 6th dose. Often I just lay on ice.
    If I am out & about for the evening then I usually cant avoid it.
    OK everyone I am convinced of two things, I need the LA, with a breakthrough based on old experaince. second, I have alot to learn.
    I would love more pain control & more movement in my arms, I am hoping with better pain control I will be able to do that. Thanks Pepper, God bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sammy,
    Please don't take me wrong; I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. What I am trying to say is: everybody's case is very different and I am glad I have a PM DR who doesn't have mentality "One size fits all", but has individual "coctail" and approach to every patient and their needs.

I do have tolerance already, that is why I have to be so careful... But I also builded strong tolerance to pain, it helps me to leave and even do what I want to do (reasonable of course) with pretty high levels of pain.

This helps tremendously in managing my PK. I really help myself by working on acceptance (It is what it is); I absolutely refuse to think that something is wrong with me, that I can't leave like this... I believe that God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle...

All about attitude and choices. Pretty much everybody can do with their lives whatever they want to do. Flexibility, acceptance, NO "why me?", pushing yourself physically and mentally, counting your blessings - and we all can see how beautiful life is and how great we are doing in it.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
    Frosty6
    Veteran
    (female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi Pepper,

What a great question. When I switched PM docs last October (because mine moved away ) He switched me to MS Contin 2 x a day. I didn't like the idea one bit but he didn't like that I was taking 4-5 oxycodone's per day @ 5mg. Sometimes my old one would give me 7.5 but only after a procedure. I have to say that initially, I had zero pain when I started taking the MS contin. I had severe pain prior to it but once I started it, none at all for a few weeks. What heaven that was! The biggest difference I noticed is that I didn't swell as bad and I didn't get light or fuzzy headed as you can with the percocets. And that is nice too, having a clear head again. Good luck to you! You know as well as I do that once you have been on them for a long time, it doesn't work well eventually but I was shocked at how much clearer my thoughts got after switching. I would say things like, pick up the napkin and put it in the refridgerator instead of the trash and my family just thought things like that was so funny. I personally hated it but I kept doing it. lol.

Take care,
    Lisa

Closed Thread