It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• false positive testing with Protomix

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
    muzzy19
    (male)

muzzy19 HB User
    Post false positive testing with Protomix

The last time I went to my PM he asked if I smoked pot based on my last urine test. I told him no and he accepted my answer without more question but it really confused me. Also it had me concerned that it could give reason for release. He gave me another urine test as he does it about every six months. After talking to someone else that is under a PM's care I explained what had happened and he asked if I took any stomach meds for GERD. I take a med called Protomix and after checking the web sure enough it can give a false positive result for THC. So when I went back for my next visit he didn't mention anything about the test result. So I showed him the Patient info package and it has a section that said it can give that results. He wasn't aware of it but said if the results were low and if he had any real concern they order other test. I glad he was open to discussion and explaining. I have heard of some that are not open to any discussion. I just thought I would let everyone know in case they take those meds. I would be sad to hear someone got released for bad test results. It hard enough to be in the PM loop as it is. I know the Doctors have a lot of regulations put on them. Hope this helps someone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: false positive testing with Protomix

I don't want to scare anyone, but the other thing that can happen to PM patients is a "false negative"....Meaning you come up "negative", but there are in fact meds in your system. This results from your levels falling below the threshold set for detection. Not unusual for those with fast metabolisms or when you haven't taken the med in the last 24 or so hours. Normal detection windows are 24-48 hours in chronic patients.

This is why is so important to answer the questions very accurately immediately preceding the test....Where they ask you when the last time you took the meds.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread