It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Advice needed ASAP on Fentanyl patch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User
    Advice needed ASAP on Fentanyl patch

Hi, I need immediate advice on my fentanyl patch. I'm in the middle of a med transition so I'm having trouble figuring out if the patch is working.

I put a Watson patch on this morning and it came off about a 1/2 hour ago. There was almost no "stick" stuff left on the back of the patch. I put it back on, pressed hard, and taped around the edges.

I'm now feeling withdrawal. What makes this hard is I dropped down on my other med, so it's possible that the withdrawal is from that [of course, taking my meds and the patch coming off had to coincide].

I don't want to throw away a new patch if I can avoid it, but I'm concerned it isn't making contact with my skin. As I said, it's been about a 1/2 hr to 45 minutes since I taped the edges to my skin. I'm sweating, and having minor w/d symptoms.

Advice?? I hate to throw away a new patch, but I have a feeling that it's the patch. I've only used Watson for a week and never one this large, so I can't tell if it's delivering the meds...If the "stickiness" is gone, is the patch sticking to me and delivering meds?

Obviously, I have to make a decision shortly about whether or not to put a new patch on and toss this one...I'm getting nauseated now...

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-21-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: Advice needed ASAP on Fentanyl patch

Confused, if you've been wearing the patch for awhile, meaning this is not the very first patch you've put on, it shouldn't be the patch causing your withdrawl. I think the pamphlet for the patch says that without a patch, it takes about 17 hours before the medication is out of your system enough. Even if that is on the high side, you shouldn't feel anything after a half an hour.

As far as taping it goes, the only thing I would try and keep the patch with is the bio-clusive cover which would keep the patch secure and on your skin. If you are just trying to tape it, you probably have some gaps and I would throw the patch away. I know you hate to waste it, but if it's not securely tight against the skin, you can't be sure if you are getting the meds.

Melissa

Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

confused,

I use tegaderms to keep my patches on and you can get these at any local pharmacy. Also, there should be no withdrawals just from that patche falling off, since you have the med in your system all ready. I also would not throw the patch away as you will be one patch short and some docs want to see proof that the patch was defective.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User

Hey all, thanks for the responses. What has made it confusing is that I am going up on one med [the patch] and down on another. I have always used Mylan in the past, and switched to Watson (I requested the sandoz but none were available). I am not used to the size or the patch. With the Mylans I used tegaderms without a problem. However, with the Watson, I have found that water is going through the tegaderm [actually, I guess this makes sense b/c they are porous] and causing the "sticky" stuff on the patch to come off. They just work differently, and I'm not used to it.

Probably because my body is in transition, I have felt withdrawals from the Watson patches. The lower dose I was on this morning was giving me mild withdrawals at 48 hrs. I suspect this was b/c I had a bath two nights ago, and water either made the patch give me too much of the medication so that there was less left towards the end of two days [however, it didn't *look* like less was left when I switched patches. However, unlike the patches I had taken off before, these did not have any of the "stickiness" left on the back.I think that this is more likely to be the culprit. A *very* strange thing happens when I experience a patch withdrawal [regardless of the brand, apparently!] - tongue turns blue. The bluer my tongue, the stronger the withdrawal. Unfortunately, I forgot to check - I felt so ill. I threw up everything in my system and just went to bed. This only made things more confusing since I threw up one of the meds I am going down on...

I may *have* to go back to the Mylan b/c I am having a very hard time finding a place on my body where the Watson can go right now. It's one of the higher mcg patches and it is *so* large that I can't figure out how to keep the whole patch stuck to my body - I move and the patch seems to move too, detaching some in the process... It's just way to big to fit on my arm, so I'm using my chest, but I still can't find a large enough spot that doesn't move some. I had someone to help, I would try my back. Without help though, this seems too difficult.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-18-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
    sandim
    Inactive
    (female)

sandim HB User

If you cover the patch with tegaderm, it is not going to come off......I have used the large fentanyl patches, and covered them completely with tegaderm and have not had one come off, let alone loosen.
    You can not be experiencing withdrawal from it coming off a half hour ago.....that is impossible.
    It is far more likely that your withdrawal symptoms if that is what they are, are coming from the decrease in the other meds.
    ***REMOVED**

If the stickiness is gone, that does not mean that the patch is no longer delivering the medication.
    I think that you are going to have to learn to live with some of the minor effects of withdrawal as you transfer from one medication to the patch again. You can not avoid them, they are going to be part of this transition for a while, until you get the other meds out of your system.
    Sandi

Last edited by M08; 09-19-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: No need to discuss dosage of patch.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandim View Post
    If you cover the patch with tegaderm, it is not going to come off......I have used the large fentanyl patches, and covered them completely with tegaderm and have not had one come off, let alone loosen. Sandi
    Sandi, I've had them loosen at the edges w/ the tegaderm on - even the tegaderm comes up [w/o at bath] around the edges at times. I think it depends a lot on your skin. I switched out the questionable patch [which I had covered w/ tegaderm] this morning and *immediately* felt a significant difference - went from shaky to fine in a matter of minutes. I really think this is b/c the levels are fluctuating so much right now and switching out a patch that isn't delivering the med well for one that is makes a bigger difference than it would if my body was stable. I *think* that a patch that is making full contact with the skin would deliver more med than one that isn't - if nothing else, there will be a difference in the amount of heat the patch receives and, as a result, the amt. of med released.

Aside from yesterday, this transition is going much much more smoothly than the last [I switched to a new med and was in withdrawal of varying degrees of severity for over 2 weeks - I am very anxious for this to be *all* over. But, I'm feeling much better already and my pain is way down. Hopefully that will last....I know it takes a minimum of three days before I begin to stabilize, and more like 2 weeks to completely stabilize.

Anyway, it just goes to show how individuals respond to meds in very different ways.

The blue tongue seems to be an incredibly reliable measuring stick - light withdrawal - light blue, more withdrawal, darker streaks of blue...lots, dark blue tongue! I've never heard of this *anywhere.* I thought it was from the chemicals in the Mylan patch before. But having the same experience w/ the Watson is [gel is clear], is making me wonder...

Thanks again for thoughts/advice. I'm probably going to put up a separate post on placement b/c I *cannot* figure this out.

Last edited by Confused089; 09-19-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
    Confused089
    Inactive
    (female)

Confused089 HB User

deleted

Thank you for the well wishes. I am really eager to get stable again. I had just about stabilized on the oxycontin after some really tough weeks when I made this switch. Oh well...

Take care,
    Confused..

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-20-2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: if you think someone may not want to communicate about something, do not mention it.

Closed Thread