It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• after the storm pain levels high stress horrid no medical help NO pharmaces

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User
    Unhappy after the storm pain levels high stress horrid no medical help NO pharmaces

We are on day 7 the city is still much without power though some places are slowly opening the shelves are empty and bare of fresh produce meat milk eggs .
    Gas is in short supply due to wide spread power issues A major city brought to it's knees because of NO power.It is getting better only about 1.2 million folks still in dark......
    I was doing ok till Thursday then my diabetes meds were running low my glasses had broken during the storm and i sat and cried because i realized we had no way of getting any thing done till more services became avaiable.
    We had fema come out early and we got a denial letter. We have roof damage backed up sewage damage from the storm and we were told no.
    We have not heard from our insurance company.
    Monday if i can find a working phone i will call our health insurance copany to see if i can get a mail order re supply under our emergancy status.
    What i learned for those that have chronic conditions need to leave if a hurricane comes. I realize we are lucky but can soup gets old so does knowing if something happens well not much you can do about it at this point.
    Please keep us in your good thoughts....
    My knees are swelled up hands hurt one finger typing . Still here but not ok

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
    Re: after the storm pain levels high stress horrid no medical help NO pharmaces

Zoey,

You and everyone in the hurricane are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they get the power back on for you soon. Stay safe.

Tigg.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Zoey,

Just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you had so much damage from the storms. I am keeping you, your family and all others affected by this, in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope you can get the meds you so desperately need, soon. And I pray that your insurance company will come through for you. Is there a hospital nearby, where you can go if you need to? I know in my area, when we have had severe winter storms, the hospitals are the first to be brought back on the grid. Please take care and keep us posted when you can.

God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 09-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
    chicubs
    (female)

chicubs HB User

I am so sorry to hear about all that you have to deal with. I just cannot believe that FEMA denied you! You have so much that will need to be fixed.
    I can in a small way know how you are feeling. This past June we had a weekend of storms and heavy rain. The river two blocks from our house went over and the city pumps by us shut down. There was quite a bit of flooding in our city. We had five feet of water in our basement. The only way they could get to us that evening and the next morning was with a boat. Luckily FEMA did give us some help as did our flood insurance. But it still cost us 6000.00 dollars out of our pocket. We lost all of our appliances down the basement.
    I guess the stress was the worst of all. The stress made my RSD flare up like it had never done before. I can remember all of what happened as if it happened yesterday.
    So my heart is just going out to you. I will be praying for you. Is there anyway you can appeal FEMA's decision of denial? I would look into that because it just doesn't seem fair that you would not get any help. I hope that you have better luck with your insurance. Take Care and keep us posted.
    Chris

Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
    jonstar
    Inactive
    (male)

jonstar HB User

In the short term if you run out of your meds, leave.... drive to the nearest functioning city/large town for help, or a functioning large hospital. Take as much evidence as you can, prescriptions, pill bottles, letters from your doc etc, and I am sure any doctor would write you a prescription.

In future, maybe ask your doctor if you can keep one month ahead with your scripts, so you can have the months worth you are taking, plus the next months worth, on hand at the same time.... so that if a disaster happens, you will have 4 weeks worth on hand.

It would mean he would need to issue you double prescriptions for one month and one month only, but given the area you live in, that sounds reasonable.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

jon i dont drive very much our area was not in mandatory evac zone
    i got to eye doc they had folks in the parking lot he gave me my drops and a new script for glasses ( by friday i should have them) one of the office staff will bring it to my house.My other docs arent open yet due to power issues.
    I managed to get online and do some clothes shopping. Any that was in the water we will not try and save. So i will at least have some clothing soon. We saw the mail and ups trucks . The few stores that could open seems to be starting to re stock. So basic things are returing slowly.Ac folks on their way they had no phone but we have been with that company over 10 years and knew their e mail and a few of them socially . So it is neat that at least ac may be working soon
    I never expected much from fema but he said they could get axcess to my meds and possibly glasses some vouchers for the clothing that part hurt..
    Oh well small steps and trying hard not to worry about things i cannot change
    thank you mods for letting me share.
    Pain meds plenty of hopefully nuro will be back in business before i run out i have a 30 day supply ( he stocked me up before gustov.....

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
    SpinalMalady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

zoey:

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Sort of a PTS thing remembering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I will say a prayer for all of you that services come back VERY QUICKLY from this point. It's so devestating not knowing, and not being able to be in control. I so remember the grief I struggled with after Katrina. I pray that you get everything resloved quickly.

Is it possible through your insurance to use a mail in insurance. (After-rereading your post I see you are planning to do that!) Perhaps that could help with the Pharmacy situation. Or can you go to the doctor or a clinic (here after Katrina many clinics were set up) and bring your Rx bottles with you. After Katrina these clinics were GIVING AWAY one months supplies of ANY prescription until pharmacies were back up and running.

Are there NO pharmacies up and running at all?? I'm sure your PM will be okay with you breaking the "one pharmacy" rule in this instance. If you could find someone to drive you to one, even if it's in a near by sububurb, it would be worth it to get your important diabetes and other meds to hold you over until other pharms come back up!! Just let the doc's office know, I'm sure they will understand. If not, I've never heard of someone that HARDNOSED in an EMERGENCY situation.

I'm praying for ya zoey. God Bless you, and may you remain strong in this time of trial and tribulation. Remember He never gives us more than we can handle.

Big Huggles, and Warm Fuzzies,

~!~ Becky ~!~

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
    09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
    06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
    3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Zoey,
    I am glad to have seen your post, but my heart aches for you and many others out there in need.
    At one point in my life..not that long ago...I was a very active participant in the RED CROSS. They actually wanted me to go to The aftermath areas of Katrina and be of service. I wanted to go so badly but had recently had hand surgery so it was out of the question!

I am going to hold you real close to my heart and in my prayers!

The on thing i guess that is most concerning to me...and probably to you too...is the diabetes medications. I really hope that somehow this issue will get resolved as I know how very very important those medications are!

If there was a way for me to send you a care package I surely would! I have so much stuff and could probly supply you with a wardrobe etc. Even some food vouchers or something.
    Has the Red Cross been around to help you at all??? Is there a way to contact them? They are usually not always but usually good obout getting help with food clothing shelter food and meds!

I know you said that you had pain meds taken care of..that is good, but how is your pain? All this stress must be elevating your pain somewhat?? I love what you said at the end of your post about not be too overly concerned about what you can not change! I think so many of us forget sometimes about that one! you sound very courageous and as though you have a plan and it is just going to take time to get it all implemented.

So my friend...I am at least glad to know your safe and in one piece!
    Chrissy

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #9
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

For those wondering about fema they said no. He also latter on called me and said they couldn't help me get my meds or glasses or vouchers for the clothing we lost due to roof /water happening.

Stores have closed due to ike as sign of the times Though some are trying to re stock and open back up power is still spotty and over a 1/2 million folks and businesses still in the dark

My health insurance company found a pharmacy outside my area that was able to get my list together. So after 10 days was able to resupply my meds.

The eye doc had has staff working in the parking lot of the facility i got an exam my drops (inflammation ) script with any luck glasses supposedly Friday.

I managed to get out a bit yesterday and pick up some clothes shoes for us and with a help of a neighbor got to where my meds were .

Suppose to see insurance folks today . I figure if we just get the roof done then we can deal with flooring and contents.......

small steps
    so update is meds fully stocked and some clothing oh had a hot cup of coffee today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Zoey,

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm glad things are slowly falling into place and that I'm praying that your insurance company will come through for you. I guess I just don't understand how FEMA works. I used to think they would be able to help each and every person to at least some extent. I realized how wrong I was after watching and hearing about the aftermath of Katrina.

It truly makes me realize how much those of us in areas that are not prone to these types of devastating storms, take for granted. (Like a hot cup of coffee!) It just goes to show that no matter how "prepared" you are yourself, nobody can be fully prepared for the affect the storms have on the businesses and providers we rely on for our day to day necessities.

I wish you and your family the best, and I hope relief is on the very near horizon. Take care and God bless, CMP/MM

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Zoey,

All my family are in Houston and Cleveland, they've had the same kind of difficulties. Some of them do have generators. But they have had some difficulties getting my mom's meds, and takes like 13 a day. I told them to get her caught up when the storm firt headed that way, but they took they'e time.

I'm glad that you are able to get the things that you need.

Closed Thread