It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• TENS Unit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    TENS Unit

Can someone explain what this is? Is it used for sciatic pain caused by nerve damage? How effective is it?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
    Re: TENS Unit

The TENS unit has little electrodes that using electrical pulses on nerves and muscles. I find it GREAT of muscle pain and spasms. It is supposed to stimulate other nerve endings to step up to the plate so to speak to allow the painful nerve take a rest. I can clip mine onto my pants and walk around . It is important to keep batteries charged and your electrodes fresh

Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I've used one for sciatic nerve pain, it was helpful for that. The understanding I have is that it sort of scrambles the nerve signals to the brain. Most places will let you try it for a month and charge the ins about $10 rental so you can see if it works before the ins or you have to pay for it.

Tigg.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

My husband used one after shoulder injury/surgery. He used it for pain relief, as well as stimulation to the nerves. He found it very relaxing when he had spasms. Best wishes to you...

Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

this is the ONLY thing that actually helps with my RSD flares,nothing else appears to be able to touch them BUT my TENS. one of the keys is getting the trode placements done correctly for YOUR particular pain problem. this is done best by a good therepist who can show you when you obtain the unit,the best places to try and treat YOUR individual pain. criss crossing the electordes so that current runs thru that area is what works for my knee. it all comes down to trying to override that pain intensity with the electrical current. i usually ramp mine up till i kind of "meet' that intensity and then pop it up over that one or two notches. you should 'feel" the impulse and not the pain so much this way,you know what i mean?

whatever you decide to do with this unit,please obtain the first one or your rental,from a good therepist(they just know the unit and the best trode placements for you). if you should decide to keep the unit,you can buy it outright after like six months or so,or send it back and try and find it cheaper online. but in most cases,your ins co will rent the unit for that trial period first,so you do not have to buy the unit outright so if it doesn;t work for you you are not stuck with it. for some types of pain this works amazingly well but for others it doesn;t. it all depends upon the underlying pain generators. the only pain mine works for despite having like five seperate areas of pain for many different reasons,is that RSD knee. but i will take what i can get there ya know? it 'should' actually work pretty well on the nerve pain from sciatica tho. i do wish you luck with this,it can be a very very helpful tool for some. please keep us posted. Marcia

Old 10-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

I used one after I had really bad severe whip lash where I herniated 2 discs in my neck. I could not handle it. we tried it for a few weeks. it felt like I had bugs on my shoulder and it made my pain worse, I am sensitive to massage, ice and heat on my shoulders too. it also stung me and I could not wait to get rid of it. that is my story and I think I am a rare bird. just wanted to let you know that it really bothered me and I could not tolerate it. we set it very low and I did try it for 3 weeks. its just not for me and gave me no pain relief just more pain.

SS
    I hope it works for you. there is a lot of info on them if you do some searching online, tons and tons of info out there if you need to know more about them and how they work.

Closed Thread