It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• 'watson' brand fent patches not available at drugstores?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
    renton
    (male)

renton HB User
    Angry 'watson' brand fent patches not available at drugstores?

first time post, lurker for months.

it seems you can no longer find watson brand fent patches ANYWHERE at the chain drugstores: walgreens, CVS, riteaid, walmart, target... i searched in california (bay area, where i live), and also arlington, VA where im here for an extended stay to help with my mother that has cancer.

has anyone run into this problem? i CANNOT wear the mylan brand, which is ALL they have. for whatever reason they do not transfer enough med, and only seem to work for about 30 hrs. needless to say, i had to wear mylan brand as i was getting on a plane the next day and walgreens called 8 stores looking for watson brand, that no one had. i talked to the pharm manager and he said mylan made a deal with many of the major drugstores just to carry mylan and get a better mark-up than with the watson (and im sure abuse potential was brought up; but thats not the issue at hand)

i cannot tolerate the mylan, and its noted on my walgreens pharmacy computer page. for 2 years ive always have gotten watson. then the day before i leave, i find mylan, and cant find anyone in the entire southbay area that has watson. so i had to use the mylan and went into pretty severe WD's. lucky the doctor i saw out here in VA knew immediately from seeing me that i was suffering, called my cali doctor and worked it out.

now my doctor thinks mylan brands are garbage, so does the (very) small pharm that i finally found them at. the doctor i saw today also thinks the mylan are garbage.

** i do know and understand that some people love the mylan brand and it works for them fine. im not attacking the brand, im just mad that all of the sudden, the med i was used to is not available, and only have one choice that doesn't work for me.

if this has happened to you please respond. im thinking if enough people have run into this problem it might be a class action suit.

one thing is for certain. MYLAN generics are NOT the same as WATSON generic. they are two DIFFERENT MEDICINES.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: 'watson' brand fent patches not available at drugstores?

Dear renton,

I understand your plight. When the Mylan first came out, I tried it. Truly, I had one of the worst months of pain I ever dealt with. Plus, I didn't realize why I was having very serious withdrawal symptoms. I thought I had the flu or something because of the vomiting, fevers, and shaking. At first, I didn't link the symptoms to withdrawal. But, my doctor did!

So, I went back to the Duragesic Brand name until my pharmacy was able to get the Sandoz.

It's my understanding that the Mylan is the only one of the patch types that does NOT use a "drug reservoir". The Mylan has the fentanyl mixed in with the adhesive. Well, this does not work on me at all. However, the Duragesic, Watson, Sandoz, and it seems like there's another one that I can't think of right now--They all work on the same premise that the medication "seeps" through your skin from the drug reservoir. My pharmacy orders the Sandoz brand specifically for me. I've always told them that I would pay extra to make sure I never went through that withdrawal ever again. They always encourage me to call a week before they're due to make sure they have them in stock. They ask me to do that with the Actiq, too.

I'm sorry you went through that experience! It just seems absurd that you couldn't find any in your area, but that is unfortunately far too common!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 10-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
    shananava
    (female)

shananava HB User

I had to call around alot as well. The walmart here is the only one that will order watson for me. I have to call ahead as i have had problems with them not having them when i need them. One pharmacist is great about remembering but the other one doesnt. I hope you can find them somewhere, even if a small hometown pharmacy. Best of luck,
    Shannon

Old 10-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Welcome to the boards....Glad to have you aboard! Sorry to hear about your plight....As a former patch wearer, I know exactly where you're coming from. My Doc thinks that Mylan are so bad, that he told me not to use them...And if I did and had problems, to not call and complain or ask for a new script because he was warning me upfront.

Use the search feature to find a thread titled "Brand vs Generic- Major findings" from early April. You'll find some great information in this thread, especially the difference between brands and generics. I have my own theory on what's going on, and it's a fairly complicated subject. Once you peruse all the information, we can discuss further if you'd like.

Let me know if I can help further.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-20-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
    renton
    (male)

renton HB User

thanks for the thread heads up, EX! yeh, i already have formulateda reason why the mylan are being 'pushed' on the larger chains. the fact that they are made in west virginia is sort of a giveaway...

ill be checking out the other thread from now...

ez.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
    zoey1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zoey1 HB User

there were folks did ok with Watson better with mylan and in the end they had a recall on certain doses and now most places you have to call and order yours ahead.
    However the pharmacies are now admitting to the issues with Watson
    You will have to call around to see who is willing to order it for you

Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Just a point of clarification, the "recall" applied only to the Duragesic and Sandoz brands, and only one particular strength at that. Generic maker, Sandoz, was affected because they source from the maker of Duragesic, or Janssen.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread