It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone on neurontin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
    Bryansmom
    (female)

Bryansmom HB User
    Anyone on neurontin?

I'd like to hear from anyone out there who's taken neurontin. My rheumatologist is considering putting me on this (in addition to all the junk going on in my neck I have SLE). What kind of effect does it have? I'm getting mixed answers from reading up on it on the web.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Michelle in CA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: Anyone on neurontin?

Dear Michelle,

Years ago, my pain doctor placed me on Neurontin (I have Systemic Lupus and the Lupus Anticoagulant), and it did not help me at all. My experiences with Rheumatologists have not been good ones, so I don't know what else to tell you! I'm currently 38 and have been diagnosed with Lupus since 1993--with symptoms going back about 6 or so years before that. I always got the feeling that I was considered too young for certain treatments--especially treatments for pain.

I noticed there's another thread about Neurontin use right near your thread. Check that out and see what it says!

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 10-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Michelle, I take neurontin due to nerve damage and has really worked great for me. I was wondering if your doctor gave you neurontin for arthritis-related pain or for nerve-related pain? Neurontin works well for nerve-related pain but I've never recalled anyone taking it for arthitis-related pain. Do you suffer from Fibro because I believe that it has been prescribed for Fibro pain.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
    chicubs
    (female)

chicubs HB User

Hi Michelle ~ My experience with Neurontin's side effects has not been that bad. I never experienced headaches at all from taking neurontin. When I first started to take it, I did have some tiredness but this quickly went away after about a week. I was prescribed Neurontin for the nerve pain caused by my RSD. About six months ago my doctor suggested that I switch to Lyrica because my nerve pain was getting worse. My understanding with Lyrica is that it is a little bit stronger as far as working on nerve pain.

My biggest problem with both neurontin and Lyrica is the weight gain. I am going to be talking to my doctor at my next appointment to discuss another type of medication that I hear works just as well on nerve pain but does not cause the weight gain.

Now I am not able to work and I haven't worked since November of 2005 because of the RSD. So I think I was able to handle the side effects a little bit better than someone who is working. For instance, when I became tired as I was when I was first adjusting to the medication I was able to rest. But for someone working I don't think you would be able to do that!!! Also my children are all grown and out of the house so again I did not need to worry about having to take them anywhere.

The tiredness did subside quite a bit within a week for me. As you can see each person reacts differently to medication. So if you feel that this medication is still causing problems, perhaps you should talk to your doctor about these issues. Maybe he could think of something else that would be able to help you yet not give you such problems with the side effects. I wish you good luck because it's not fun when the side effects from the medication that is suppose to help us is sometimes worse than what is wrong with us to start with!
    Take Care,
    Chris

Closed Thread