It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Opana ER Side Effects - Anyone else have these problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User
    Opana ER Side Effects - Anyone else have these problems?

Hi,

I have been on pain medicines for my chronic pain, for many years. A couple of months ago my main pain medicine was switched from Avinza to Opana ER--the Avinza was getting to the point where it wasn't giving me enough pain relief.

The new medicine strength had to be adjusted upward several times, before I got adequate pain relief. I have also had trouble adjusting to the new medicine, and have been having severe headaches, very low energy, and my blood pressure is higher than in the past. Over the past several years, I hardly ever got headaches, so these are new to me. My doctor at the clinic I go to doesn't want to attribute the headaches to Opana, and says my blood pressure is still within normal ranges--I used to be close to 80/120 (except when in bad pain), but was at 93/140 at my last visit. Since my visit I have had two readings at the pharmacy of 93/148 and 93/150.

One last thing I need to add is that in the past I have taken vitamin and mineral supplements, but have been out of them for several months. I am switching to a new provider that makes custom capsules containing the types and amounts of supplements I need. I am trying to follow the ones mentioned by Dr. Eugene Shippen, in his book Testosterone Syndrome. And I am also on hormone therapy, to try to improve my energy--that is a whole other story. I have been on the new supplements for about 1 week, and it has started to help my headaches and energy. So this may be what I need.

Has anyone else, that has been on Opana, had similar problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
    olderthen48
    (female)

olderthen48 HB User
    Re: Opana ER Side Effects - Anyone else have these problems?

Hi there,
    I also got sever headaches from Opana ER. My doctor does not think it is from it either. I have a long history with migrains so he is playing it down. He put me on the fast acting Opana insted of the Time Release (ER). Still got the headache and its been 5 days since the switch. I cant recommend anything to do because I am new here and am looking for answers myself but just wanted you to know that yes there is someone else out here that had the same reaction so you didn't feel alone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wt2 View Post
    Hi,

I have been on pain medicines for my chronic pain, for many years. A couple of months ago my main pain medicine was switched from Avinza to Opana ER--the Avinza was getting to the point where it wasn't giving me enough pain relief.

The new medicine strength had to be adjusted upward several times, before I got adequate pain relief. I have also had trouble adjusting to the new medicine, and have been having severe headaches, very low energy, and my blood pressure is higher than in the past. Over the past several years, I hardly ever got headaches, so these are new to me. My doctor at the clinic I go to doesn't want to attribute the headaches to Opana, and says my blood pressure is still within normal ranges--I used to be close to 80/120 (except when in bad pain), but was at 93/140 at my last visit. Since my visit I have had two readings at the pharmacy of 93/148 and 93/150.

One last thing I need to add is that in the past I have taken vitamin and mineral supplements, but have been out of them for several months. I am switching to a new provider that makes custom capsules containing the types and amounts of supplements I need. I am trying to follow the ones mentioned by Dr. Eugene Shippen, in his book Testosterone Syndrome. And I am also on hormone therapy, to try to improve my energy--that is a whole other story. I have been on the new supplements for about 1 week, and it has started to help my headaches and energy. So this may be what I need.

Has anyone else, that has been on Opana, had similar problems?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wt2 View Post
    What supplements does he recommend? Which ones have you noticed as being beneficial?

Ex

Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
    wt2
    (male)

wt2 HB User

Olderthen48--thanks for the reply. It will help me either way to find out what others experiences have been. One thing I want to ask about is that they have taken my blood pressure since I have been on this new medicine, and they didn't do that before. I have also read that high blood pressure can lead to or be related to bad headaches? I don't know, just something I read online.

On the supplements, it is a little early to say how much they are helping. But here are what they are: Vitamin K, B6, Folic Acid, B12, Magesium, Zinc, Manganese, Boron, Grape Seed Extract, Ginsing, Ginkgo Biloba, Fish Oil, Calcium, and Vitamin D. I think that is all of them. Some of these are in much larger doses than you usually find, like the Zinc, which is 50mg.

Thanks for your interest.

Closed Thread