It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pain & Depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #1
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User
    Pain & Depression

I know chronic pain and depression go hand in hand for a number of reasons. lack of energy, chronic pain will just wear you down especially if you can't exercise much. Has anyone ever wondered if the medications used for pain could cause depression ? I wonder if long term use of oxycodone could be effecting my moods. I take Celexa for aniexty , tried Cymbalta ( wanted to sleep all the time ). I used to laugh and say Peracets "perked" me up but lately I have noticed I am easily prone to tears of frustration and in a bit more self pitiful mode and I am usually upbeat despite my chronic pain from Arthritis and DDD. PM appointment this afternoon and I will of course discuss with her but wondered if anyone else has this issue ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Re: Pain & Depression

I cannot answer your question but can relate to your post 100%. I used to wonder if the vicodin was really taking my pain away, or if the lift in the mood from taking it was the real reason I could tolerate my pain. The past few weeks have been pretty rough for me pain wise and it seems that my vicodin is not working that well. I am not getting any mood lift at all from them and they are only lasting a couple hours now. My PM increased my dosage 2 months ago and I am so upset that they seem not to be working already.

Please let us know what your doctor said. I am going to my PM doctor on Tuesday and plan on asking him these questions as well.

Oh yeah, I also tried cymbalta but it had the opposite effect on me....it made me not be able to sleep. I was just thinking about this not even 10 minutes ago. I was wondering if an anti-depressant or an anti-anxiety would be beneficial to me. I have never experienced depression before and not sure what to look for. I do know that I cry a lot. Have lack of energy (taking 2100mg of neurtontin, so this adds to it). Have little patience. Always have a nagging worrying/upset feeling.

Anyway, thanks for posting this and good luck!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
    happygirl440
    (female)

happygirl440 HB User

I think the pain pills can cause depression.
    It makes you feel good then boom it wears off and your back to being in pain and feeling blue cause your huting.
    Cymbalta was horriable for me. It made me very angry and dizzy.
    My kids could not stand me while I was on it.
    Cindy

Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
    matt3507
    (male)

matt3507 HB User

My situation is very similar to yours. I am facing this dilemma also. I just read about hypoanalgesia(sp?), and hormone issues associated w/long term opiate use. Personally I want to get off the Oxycodone train if it is possible, but I am seriously scared. I had construction accident - headache 2.5 years. This headache drives me Insane - literally. Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that depression overcomes some people when their pain won't go away. Anyway lots of studies done on pain last 5 years or so. Good luck, keep posting I will monitor.

Last edited by M08; 11-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Went to PM. Was called back after waiting 1 hour for my procedure and was told they would discuss meds after. While I was waiting for procedure, a new PA/NP came back, asked a few questions, did a quick exam and gave me the same meds as before. Even though my reflexes are quite diminished on right side and I commented on it, he just walked away. I tried to question issues I had re: patch, depression and trying to decide what dose to skip on SA meds since I am limited to 4 perc a day he didn't seem too concerned. My appointment was at 3 and I left AFTER 7. No one was at front desk to schedule next appointment. My Pharmacy closed at7 and thet always ordermy Duragesic so I have to wait until Monday for those. Talk about DEPRESSING. I think I will just go to my PCP and see if he can control my pain since I have had SI injections and the radiofrquency shots for back. Now just dealing with painful arthritis and DDD. The Sacral/Iliac has somewhat improved

Old 11-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifeaftr40 View Post
    Has anyone ever wondered if the medications used for pain could cause depression ?
    Chronic pain and depression often go hand in hand. This is why it's fairly typical for a pain Doc's office to be filled with pamphlets / brochures re: depression.

Pain meds are classified as "depressants" because they depress just about all primary bodily functions. They can slow breathing, slow one's metabolism, change the digestive system (constipation), and many other things. For example, pain meds work well for coughs because they surpress the cough reflex.

The active ingredient in the med attaches to the receptors in the brain, thus, effecting the natural production of endorphins. When a patient first starts meds, the extra endorphins provided to your brain (your natural endorphins plus the meds) can produce some positive effects......However, over time, your body senses these external endorphins and thus, may slow the production of it's own, or even stop. This is why in some cases, one may need the meds just to feel normal. This is also why it's important for pain patients to try to exercise or do other things that naturally produce endorphins.

In addition, fighting daily chronic pain can be very exhaustive and draining. Fighting chronic pain can cause extra stress on the body. Psychologically, dealing with how one's life "changes" (due to the pain) and the overall impact, can often be a big load to bear. For example, chronic pain can lead to changes in one's job, financial status, relationships, and even cause disability. Thus, the cumulative impact of all the above can often spin someone into depression.

The possibility of depression is a very serious issue. You should discuss your symptoms with your Doc so he/she can treat you appropriately.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps explains things a bit.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 11-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
    chicubs
    (female)

chicubs HB User

Boy EX, did you hit the nail on the head with your reply!!! It was like you were talking just to me and my situation. I have RSD and because of that chronic pain condition I am no longer able to work. So the stress from that is unbelievable. RSD has completely changed my life. And not only my life but my husbands as well. The guilt from that is enough to make me depressed.
    I have recently been approved for social security disability and that has helped our finances tremendously. I was able to get back pay from the time I had to stop working. Which was November of 2005.

But as you stated it is not just the finances that are changed because of a chronic condition. I am not the same person I was when my husband married me 20 years ago. He did not sign up for this. Luckily though he has been so wonderful about everything. He accepted the changes in our life better than I have.

I have started to feel better and less depressed since two things happened to me. One of course was the approval for disability. Having another monthly check coming into the house has been such a relief on many levels for us. But the other thing that happened to me was when my husband had a talk with me. He sat me down and said that I needed to come to terms with the fact that I will never be how I was before the RSD attacked me. But that doesn't mean that my life has ended. He told me that has come to terms with it and he is OK with how our life is. He still loves me and he has no plans on going anywhere. Also I had to get over the guilt. In other words I had to learn to enjoy life more.

Of course being in pain makes this difficult at times. But I found that once the depression started to lift, my pain level went down as well. Since that talk I have seen my life in a different light. I now feel as long as I am still breathing life is good. I smile more, I found my sense of humor again and I appreciate the good days so much more.

So I guess the moral of this long story (perhaps too long of a story) is to come to terms with how things are now in life. We have no control over what will happen in the future but we do have control over how we will react to the good and the bad. Appreciate the love and support from your family and friends. Rewire your way of thinking by first letting go of the guilt you may be feeling. Our lives are what they are, it is what it is.

This wasn't easy for me at first. Because at first I felt like I was faking it. That I was trying too hard to be positive. And the funny thing about me faking it is, after awhile I no longer had to fake it. It became real. Isn't there a saying something about, faking it until you are making? Well that seem to work for me.

Sorry this was so long. I just felt I needed to respond and to thank EX for all the help his replies have meant to me. I learn allot when you post. Please keep it up OK?
    Take Care and Lots of Hugs,
    Chris

Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
    danscarly
    (female)

danscarly HB User

I too have finally been approved for disabnility although it was a long process.it has been about a week and a half since I found out and tho I am still waiting to find out how much and when i will get first check it was like the weight of the world has been lifted off me.I have been dealing with chronic back pain since 2002 but worked until 2004.I was married in april 2003 and in March 2004 my mom died after literally having to bleed to death the last 2 weeks of her life.I was done working a month later.In March 2005 my godfather died almost a year to the day as my mom.The depression has been very hard to deal with and not being able to help support my family has been really hard on me.I too feel like my husband did not sign on for this and he tells me he signed on to love me no matter what.I am so glad that having another check coming in will take some stress off him.I just am impatient to find out when I will get a check so we can take care of the financial mess we are now in because of me.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicubs View Post

So I guess the moral of this long story (perhaps too long of a story) is to come to terms with how things are now in life. We have no control over what will happen in the future but we do have control over how we will react to the good and the bad. Appreciate the love and support from your family and friends. Rewire your way of thinking by first letting go of the guilt you may be feeling. Our lives are what they are, it is what it is.
    Absolutely! Very well said. It took me quite a while to realize that my cup was half full and not half empty.

Quote:

I just felt I needed to respond and to thank EX for all the help her replies have meant to me. I learn allot when you post. Please keep it up OK?
    No problem, Chris. Glad I could be of some support. I learn a lot from everyone as well. It's a very good group effort here. Take care, and I hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #10
    deepsouth
    Inactive
    (female)

deepsouth HB User

Dear Chris,

You hit the hail on the head for me. I've been so afraid that my husband would leave me, but he too had a talk about my situation. He said he's not going anywhere and that I'd feel better if I didn't worry so much. He says any kind of stress will increase my pain level, and he is so right.

I've been worrying about the pain med my doc has me on and have cut it to 1 every 12 hours instead of 2 every 12 hours. I also have emphysema, and my breathing has gotten so bad that I'm having to use a walker to get around. It has a seat on it to sit when I can't walk anymore. Don't have an appt. w/doctor until Dec. 29th. I'm going to call and see if I could get one sooner.

Thanks to all of you. The information that I've read here has been invaluable.

The more stuff that I can't do anymore tends to make the depression worse and worse. But I really don't see how anyone that has been in pain 24/7 for years cannot be depressed. It's hard to keep that smile, but I still keep trying. And I have noticed that if I am pretending to feel good, sometimes I do end up feeling better.

deepsouth

Closed Thread