It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Does EMG cause lasting pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Does EMG cause lasting pain?

I am getting an EMG to help determine if my arm pain is due to my cervical spine issues or if I have nerve problems in my elbow. I have this scheduled for mid-day during the week. I'm wondering if this will cause me pain that will last throughout the day. I am very busy at work this time of year, and I don't know if I should schedule anything after the EMG, or just take the rest of the day off. Has anyone experienced lasting pain with an EMG?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
    stymie82
    (male)

stymie82 HB User
    Re: Does EMG cause lasting pain?

Toonces, my EMG did not cause lasting pain, but sure was awful during the test. Some folks think it's a breeze, I thought it was torture. If they did it at Gitmo, it would be cause international protest I felt like I was put through the wringer for a while, but it was not lasting pain and could have gone back to work. Mine was lumbar and looking for neuropathy in legs, if that makes any difference. Best of luck and fight the urge to slug your Neurologist during your test.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

I've had them a few times to rule out carpel tunnel and while it's an uncomfortable test, I had no lingering effects, except being p/o'd at the doc for zapping me.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would kind of hold off til after you have this done to see how "you" actually feel post test. i have had some lingering pain(just that day) in certain muscles after mine,but nothing major. maybe just taking some advil or aleeve right after the test would help some. afterall,the muscles will be a bit inflammed afterwards,you know what i mean? it may help.

i personally cannot take anything that thins my blood even more so i could not actually do that,but would have liked to. that may be all you need to actually finish out your day at work. its kind of up to you ya know? getting this test tho WILL narrow down where your nerve is being compromised so it IS a very worhty type of test just for that purpose alone. good luck with everything and please let us know what you find out. Marcia

Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I would schedule the rest of the day off as a precaution. I've had one for my lumbar area and I did have some pain for the remainder of the day.

Tigg.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I had mine the same day I first visited my PM.THey checked my legs and spine area. The areas with out damage hurt like heck but only when they were shooting the electricity into them. The damaged ones felt nothing. I didn't have any lasting pain afterwards but everyone is different. They didn't even tell me I was having on ethat day-lol- or I wouold have been worried about it too!

Blessings,

Old 12-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

I've had 3 or 4 done over th last 15 years, No lasting pain from any. Personally I would try to schedule it late in the day and minimaize your time lost at work. There are much more invasive procedures you may want to save your time off for.
    Good luck, Dave.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I think this is another situation where it all depends on the person. You will hear both ends of the spectrum as to whether or not the EMG hurts really bad, or isn't really that bad at all. We all experience pain differently and have different pain tolerance.

I can only tell you that my EMG wasn't terribly painful, but it wasn't a walk in the park either. There were a couple of "touchy" parts that sent electrical shock feelings but it wasn't for a long, drawn out time. Because of the nerve damage I have, many test areas had absolutely no pain or electrical shock feelings at all.

I had my test done in the morning and then went right to work- no problems at all. But, if you are concerned, it might be a good idea (as others have suggested) to schedule your EMG later in the day so you can go home and rest if you need to.

I hope your testing goes well and that you have minimum discomfort. Take care, and let us know how it goes, ok?

Closed Thread