It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• opinions on pain management clinics???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
    oddie
    (female)

oddie HB User
    opinions on pain management clinics???

Hello all,
    I was wanting to know anybody's thoughts on pain management clinics.
    I had my 1st appt. in nov.,then dec.&
    suppose to have 1 of 3 epidurals.
    so far I'm not impressed.
    Thanks,Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User
    Re: opinions on pain management clinics???

Hi there,just wanted to tell you i agree with you about the pain management,the guy i had made me worse,i hope i never have to go back there again.Iam beginning to think its a scam,they got quite alot of money out of me in this past year,i was not impressed either.hope others have better luck. marywoo

Old 12-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #3
    lynn1961
    (female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi Oddie,

When my doc recommended me to a pain management doctor.....I was very skeptical. I was not so sure about doing that. I didnot know much about pain management doctors. I figured that pain docs prescrib medication and send you on your way not really doing anything for you but giving you pills. I am 1 to not want to live on pills if I can do that. So, needless to say, i was not thrilled about going there. But I did as my doctor said. My first appt. the pain doc gave me a epidural injection. Went back in a week or 2 and had another 1. He tried several injections <over time> and they helped for a short time. Epidural injections, facet block injection < i think that was 1 of the injections, having hard time remembering the names lol> He also did a RF ablation. After having all the injections and the ablation, it was time for me to go see my neurosurgeon. He had reports from my pain doc as to what the pain doc had done. It was then when he recommended a fusion surgery. But he gave me the option of having the discogram test done first to see exactly the shape my disc are in. I did the discogram test. It revealed the damage. After my pain doc did the discogram, he came in to see me in the lil recovery area at the clinic and he just point blank told me....you need that fusion surgery. He added it was just a matter of time.....so, I have to say, I am so glad I exhausted all the things my pain doc did. He is a great doctor. And I feel he is very honest. I also tried a couple months PT.....but Ive lost so much leg strength, I just couldnt do it anymore. I will resume PT after my surgery. I have surgery dec. 16. I so wish the procedures would have helped me as I'd rather not go through this surgery. But there is nothing else <besides a spinal stimulator> for me to do. I donot want to take pain meds forever if possible. So, in my opinion, if you go to a GOOD pain doc, it is not so bad Good luck....

LYNN

Old 12-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
    pattibb
    (female)

pattibb HB User

How did the surgery go? I know its just been a couple of weeks but what is your pain level now?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
    lynn1961
    (female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hiya pattibb,

My pain level is getting better everyday as far as my back and belly <the incision> but I am now having excrutiating sciatic nerve pain and I donot know why. I will talk to my neurosurgeon on tuesday. I feel as if I shouldnt be having that at all.....makes me a bit scared and of course the automatic thought that something is wrong. I will let you know what I find out.

LYNN

Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
    AlanVA
    (male)

AlanVA HB User

oddie,

Couldn't be happier with my pm clinic. Have gone through multiple injections for low back pain and a few months back, had the radio frequency nerve ablation treatment and though I'm not pain free, I am greatly pain reduced/improved and am now able to stand in a line or go for a walk without shooting pains up and down my legs and back after five minutes as I have had for the last couple of years prior to the RF procedure.

Sometimes / most time they tend to double book appts for some reason at the clinic which ends up with usually having a fair amount of time in the waiting room but for me, it was more than worth it since I hadn't been able to get any substantial pain relief until I went to the pain clinic.

At first when the neuro wanted me to go to a pm clinic, I thought it was just a place for meds and nothing else and wasn't really looking forward to going somewhere just to sit around and wait for a script but was actually treated with injections on the first visit and got relief from them that was only temporary but then led up to the RF treatment eventually. Think I had been going there for 9 months or so and just asked them to take over the scripting of all the meds since it was easier for me to get to their office than where one surgeon's office who had been providing the scripts for pm up to then and they simply said no problem and only told me to decide on one doc for the scripts and not to go to multiple docs which was again, fine by me.

And it turned out to be a benefit since the original doc decided to close his doors in November as a solo practice since the reimbursement rates were killing him per his words and he could no longer afford to maintain his practice.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User

Since 1995, I have been to three PM clinics in our areas. The reason I went to three different ones was that I kept coming to the conclusion that PM clinicians were running a racket. While I knew what medications worked on my conditions and reduced my pain to at least the 50 % mark--These physicians were not, in any way, interested in SIMPLY Rx'ing medications that worked and allowed me to function better than I ever had!

The PM Offices did not make their money by Rx'ing simple pharmaceuticals. They did, however, want to schedule you for every conceivable injection, IV infusion, and experimental procedure that allowed them to charge my insurance as much as possible.

I don't mean to be so negative, but this is not only my opinion. This is a common criticism that appears in our local papers. This may be why only two PM clinics are still in business. At least 5 have come and gone.

I'm fortunate that my Internist realizes our local PM problems and Rx's for many of his Chronic Pain Patients. My Duragesic, Actiq, and Dilaudid provide tremendous relief for my Lupus. The PM docs were not interested in following prescription-only patients. My Internist was much more accomodating.

This is just my opinion. I'm on disability for my Lupus, and these medications are part of a regimen that works for me. I'm very thankful to have an understanding Internist (many Internists in my area are helpful to Chronic Pain Patients--who have plenty of medical documentation to support their conditions--because of this seeming "money making" venture that is questionable)!!

Again, this is my opinion. My Lupus, Lupus Anti-coagulant, and Social Security Disability are all supported by a multitude of medical documentation. Every case is different. Finally, like most medical ventures--doctors must make a living (an expensive one, at that). So, you see that Rx'ing meds is low on the totem pole.

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I too am happy with my Pain Clinic. My doc does believe me when he looks at my file, sees I have tried it all and have concluded that medication is my best option. No arguments. no "let me try this" stuff-just management of my pain. I really respect the fact that he treats me as an responsible adult ( I guess till I prive otherwise-lol).

Blessings,
    Michelle

Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I think that some PM clinics are better than others. I happen to go to one that has a physiatrist in it, along with a PM doctor who does injections. In fact, the PM doc does far more injections than he does anything else as far as I've seen. I saw him ( PM doc) before my first surgery and he told me that he wouldn't touch me until I'd had surgery. I happen to see the physiatrist, and while in the beginning, they recommended injections after my first surgery, they failed to do anything other than to make things worse, so I see the physiatrist, who happens to be more physical med and rehab than injection happy, he prescribes my meds and on occasion PT or some other treatment/testing.
    I know that injections seem to work for some people and not for others but I think that is because if there is no stenosis, or scar tissue in the way, they tend to help the inflammation and irritation, but not stenosis or compression due to scar tissue or herniations.
    Anyway, a good PM clinic should have a balance of injection therapy, and medication if it is necessary, and appropriate for patients. No patient should be forced into having injections that are not going to help.
    Back

Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
    soccertl
    (male)

soccertl HB User

My PM clinic worked wonderfully for me so far. I have lower back pain and tailbone pain that was quite severe for almost a year, often worse than the pain I had passing a kidney stone. I went to several doctors and my main doctor was going to send me to a neurologist. Before that, he told me to try an anesthesiologist, who was in a PM clinic. When I finally got the first shot in the tail bone, after a few days I noticed I could sit down without pain. It has been about a month now and I can say the pain is quite manageable in the tailbone. I have another shot next month and will ask for it in the lower back. If it works as well as the tailbone shot, I will be very happy.

BTW, the shot I got was a steroid shot, (not cortisone), which I can't remember the name of except to know that it was more natural and more easily absorbed than cortisone.

So, my conclusion is that I love the PM clinic.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've done the course of 3 epidurals a few times (during nerve pain flare ups). In May I had some cervical neck surgery that didn't fully resolve the pain. My Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and the Pain Mgmt doctor agreed that it was likely the nerve was still irritated from the type of surgery. I did a series of epidurals that ended in October and I've felt better since then. I still have some pain meds I take on occasion but I find I feel much better. If it flares up again I would do the epidurals again (once every 6 mo).

Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
    CynicalPain
    (male)

CynicalPain HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlanVA View Post
    oddie,

Couldn't be happier with my pm clinic. Have gone through multiple injections for low back pain and a few months back, had the radio frequency nerve ablation treatment and though I'm not pain free, I am greatly pain reduced/improved and am now able to stand in a line or go for a walk without shooting pains up and down my legs and back after five minutes as I have had for the last couple of years prior to the RF procedure.

Sometimes / most time they tend to double book appts for some reason at the clinic which ends up with usually having a fair amount of time in the waiting room but for me, it was more than worth it since I hadn't been able to get any substantial pain relief until I went to the pain clinic.

At first when the neuro wanted me to go to a pm clinic, I thought it was just a place for meds and nothing else and wasn't really looking forward to going somewhere just to sit around and wait for a script but was actually treated with injections on the first visit and got relief from them that was only temporary but then led up to the RF treatment eventually. Think I had been going there for 9 months or so and just asked them to take over the scripting of all the meds since it was easier for me to get to their office than where one surgeon's office who had been providing the scripts for pm up to then and they simply said no problem and only told me to decide on one doc for the scripts and not to go to multiple docs which was again, fine by me.

And it turned out to be a benefit since the original doc decided to close his doors in November as a solo practice since the reimbursement rates were killing him per his words and he could no longer afford to maintain his practice.
    Hey Alan, I live in Loudoun County nearby and would love to know what practice and doctor you see, as my current PM really just isn't helping me at all. Not sure if it's OK to disclose that or if you are comfortable doing so, but if you could help at all it would be greatly appreciated!

Closed Thread