It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Is this typical pain management?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Is this typical pain management?

Real quick background: I've had 2 discecomies for two HUGE herniations at L5-S1. As a result, I have very bad nerve damage and am in pain every day.

Here is my concern:
    I am on Opana ER (long acting pain med) and hydro's for breakthrough pain. Oh, I am also on Neurontin. If I limit my activities then my pain level is down to a 4 or so. If I am out for a good part of the day (running errands and such) my pain flares up still pretty badly. Come night time, I am toast. Even on my meds, sitting down for dinner is hard. Forget about going to the movies or anything like that. I am in the process of filing for disability because I cannot sit or stand for any length of time.

So, is this how pain management works? I do see a PM doctor but not sure if he fully understands how I am doing. I HATE when he asks my pain scale rating. I usually see him first thing in the morning after I take a pain pill, so I am ok then. But again, as the day goes on, I am not ok.

Is it unrealistic to expect more pain relief? I know it is hard to say without knowing my exact injury, but I think I should be able to sit down and have a nice dinner without being in so much pain? Or even sit through a movie? Isn't that what pain management is about? Getting some of your life back?

Thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
    conductor
    Veteran
    (male)

conductor HB User
    Re: Is this typical pain management?

Dear 10sox,

A 50% reduction in your overall pain is what the general expectation should be, according to most people (and their physicians) involved in Pain Management (PM). If you browse the posts on this Board, you will read that time and time again.

Your physician certainly needs to know that your increased pain problems occur in the latter part of the day. With him knowing that extremely valuable piece of information, I'm sure that your PM can be addressed in a better manner. You have probably already discussed that issue, but it certainly doesn't hurt to repeat the information!

This is just a suggestion, but make sure your PM doctor understands how you are doing! Don't just let him know your pain rating at the time of your visit--but how your typical days go from morning to evening. As much as I dislike providing the idea of what I'm about to suggest (because it is time-consuming and a generally basic, yet necessary, irritant), a Pain Diary that lists your varying pain levels (as well as your activities during that time) throughout the day is tremendously valuable to your Pain Physician! If you can keep track of your Pain levels (several times a day for an entire month [or even two months--boy, I'm glad you can't throw something at me! Just kidding, of course!]), your PM doc will be able to assess your problem(s) and offer the best treatment(s) possible.

Please keep us all posted, 10sox. I'm sorry if I took an inordinately long post to state the obvious (and something you've probably already done repeatedly)!! However, our group of participant are interested.

Take care! (My hands are sort of shaking today because of my pain--sorry of my errors).

Sincerely,
    Jon (Conductor)

Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
    Re: Is this typical pain management?

Keep a journal of how your pain is throughout the days. That way he can see what your pain is during and after the day, after your hectic scedule, ect. and that way he isnt just treating your pain as he sees you just after you take your morning meds.
    When I went to my new doc last week, I had everything. I set my alarm to take my meds in the am, then I wrote my scedule as far as getting kids off to school, getting dressed, daily houshold chores, ect. I wrote when I usually need a dose and how I feel.
    It really helps the doc see how you function on your LA meds and when you are needing your BT meds, and how often.
    Hope this helps~
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread