It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Dexa Scan Results are in... Interesting stuff

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
    lisam1120
    Inactive
    (female)

lisam1120 HB User
    Dexa Scan Results are in... Interesting stuff

Hello all...
    The results of my Dexa scan are in and it involves alot of numbers and frankly the test is alittle hard to figure out. So I am going to just post the results and impression from the Radiologist that read the report. Thats the most important anyway.

Change is statistically significant in the spine or hip if greater than or equal to 0.03g/cm2.
    Patients scores are as follows:
    Lumbar Spine (L1-L4): T-score: -0.8 BMD: 0.954 g/cm2
    Left Total Hip: T-score: -1.0 BMD: 0.817 g/cm2
    Left Femoral Neck: T-score: -1.7 BMD: 0.657 g/cm2

Impression:
    The lowest T-Score is a -1.7
    1) Diagnosis based on BMD alone is: Osteopenia
    -Caution: Medical conditions other than osteoporosis may cause low bone density, such as osteomalacia or renal osteodystrophy. Clinical correlation is necessary.

2) Fracture risk (based on BMD alone) is: Increased
    -Caution: Fracture risk may be increased independent of BMD in patients with cortiocosteroid use, age greater than 65 yrs, or a history of prior fragility fracture.

Recommendations: Weight bearing excerises and strength training should be considered. Cessation of smoking, caffeine and carbonated beverages are recommended.
    Oral bisphosphonates are recommended for prevention and treatment of steroid induced bone loss and should be considered with this patient. Follow up in two yrs or as clinically indicated.

According to what i've read, most people dont see these types of scores until the age of 60 and here I am only 41 yrs old. Thats a big difference in age and according to this my worst area is actually the neck in my left hip and not my back as I would have thought. Interesting.

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

Thanks Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: Dexa Scan Results are in... Interesting stuff

Hey Lisa, yeah ideally you wouldn't see those for years. Imagine my surprise at 31 getting T scores of-3.7. When I asked the tech how much lower does the numbers go and she said-4.0. So obviously I have been on meds for osteoporosis and I am talking with my rheumy at my next appointment about the 1xyear I.V. med.

I do know that the meds help increase the density so you have a good chance of getting better T scores with meds. Yeah I know, just what you wanted was another med!

Melissa

Closed Thread