It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

  • Chronic side pain under right ribs

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
    WSUChris's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: United States
    Posts: 2
    WSUChris HB User
    Chronic side pain under right ribs

    I am 24 years old and in very good shape. I used to smoke for several years and drank occasionally. For over a year I have been experiencing pain under my right rib cage. I have had several tests done (blood work, ultrasound, urine analysis) but no doctor has been able to figure it out. I took a nasty spill about 7 months ago and fell on my ribs but I feel like that should have healed by now? It seems to me there is obvious disfigurement (uneven from the left side) from the injury but it almost feels like it is radiating from under my ribs . This has become VERY depressing and frustrating as I know I am in constant discomfort but no one can help. I feel like I will be in pain forever!
    I have not been able to correlate the pain to a certain type of food or activity and nothing helps alleviate it. I would really really appreciate any suggestions or ideas for treatment. Please Help!

    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
    Senior Veteran
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: State of Mizery, USA
    Posts: 652
    tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
    Re: Chronic side pain under right ribs

    Hi and welcome.

    Have you had x-rays or and MRI or CT scan? Since you've had a sonogram I'm guessing they were looking for gallstones and at the liver? Are you having muscle spasms? Does it seem to be on top of the ribs in the muscle tissue, or under the ribs (internal)? Since you did have a fall the first thing that comes to my mind is possibly broken, cracked, or out of place ribs. If you haven't had the imaging studies I'd say that at least the x-ray would be required before anything else. You want to make sure there isn't anything really obvious like a break first. If that has already been ruled out you might try a chiropractor, again with a fall it's possible something is out of place. Another thing you could try would be massage therapy. For that you want a Liscenced Massage Therapist, if you are in or near a large city there may be a school where you can go and get a reduced rate. Otherwise some physical therapy and chiropractic practices have a MT that works out of their office. Just a warning though, this is different from a spa type massage, it's for pain relief not relaxation. I've got major pain problems in that area, and after ruling out everything else my doc determined it's probably (there's not a definitive test) myofascial disease, and for me the massage is the major treatment. If you've got questions I'll try to answer, I'll check back at lunch.


    Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
    WSUChris's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Location: United States
    Posts: 2
    WSUChris HB User
    Re: Chronic side pain under right ribs

    Thank you so much for the reply!
    I have had a ct but they were looking for upper abdominal problems I think. The pain is definitley below the surface and I'm
    Pretty sure it's internal. I have had the pain for almost 7 months so I figured if it was a rib injury it should have healed. I think I will try a chiropractor if I can find one in the small town I live. I forgot to mention it seems worst when I am driving. Thanks again for the help

    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Chronic Back Pain & Nausea Pocahontas45 Back Problems 6 04-19-2010 08:48 AM
    pain under ribs on right side tomlynch General Health 5 09-04-2009 03:34 AM
    my symptoms are chronic burning, stabbing, cutting, itching, in my lower right side o nicoleishia Fibromyalgia 5 09-23-2008 08:50 PM
    Right Side Rib Pain With Swelling witchesway13 Liver & Pancreas Disorders 1 01-17-2008 09:14 PM
    Very afraid I did some major damage w/ chronic alcohol consumption. Rib cage hurts bovidae General Health 1 12-06-2007 07:20 AM
    Chronic cough - desperate and despondent BuddyBon Allergies 7 07-11-2006 08:00 AM
    Chronic back pain for 5 years STILL UNDIAGNOSED!!!! peaswink Back Problems 15 04-24-2004 09:55 PM
    Chronic back pain for 5 years...fibromyalgia? peaswink Fibromyalgia 11 04-21-2004 06:44 PM

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 AM.

    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!