It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Chronic side pain under right ribs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
    WSUChris
    (male)

WSUChris HB User
    Chronic side pain under right ribs

I am 24 years old and in very good shape. I used to smoke for several years and drank occasionally. For over a year I have been experiencing pain under my right rib cage. I have had several tests done (blood work, ultrasound, urine analysis) but no doctor has been able to figure it out. I took a nasty spill about 7 months ago and fell on my ribs but I feel like that should have healed by now? It seems to me there is obvious disfigurement (uneven from the left side) from the injury but it almost feels like it is radiating from under my ribs . This has become VERY depressing and frustrating as I know I am in constant discomfort but no one can help. I feel like I will be in pain forever!
    I have not been able to correlate the pain to a certain type of food or activity and nothing helps alleviate it. I would really really appreciate any suggestions or ideas for treatment. Please Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
    Re: Chronic side pain under right ribs

Hi and welcome.

Have you had x-rays or and MRI or CT scan? Since you've had a sonogram I'm guessing they were looking for gallstones and at the liver? Are you having muscle spasms? Does it seem to be on top of the ribs in the muscle tissue, or under the ribs (internal)? Since you did have a fall the first thing that comes to my mind is possibly broken, cracked, or out of place ribs. If you haven't had the imaging studies I'd say that at least the x-ray would be required before anything else. You want to make sure there isn't anything really obvious like a break first. If that has already been ruled out you might try a chiropractor, again with a fall it's possible something is out of place. Another thing you could try would be massage therapy. For that you want a Liscenced Massage Therapist, if you are in or near a large city there may be a school where you can go and get a reduced rate. Otherwise some physical therapy and chiropractic practices have a MT that works out of their office. Just a warning though, this is different from a spa type massage, it's for pain relief not relaxation. I've got major pain problems in that area, and after ruling out everything else my doc determined it's probably (there's not a definitive test) myofascial disease, and for me the massage is the major treatment. If you've got questions I'll try to answer, I'll check back at lunch.

Tigg.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
    WSUChris
    (male)

WSUChris HB User
    Re: Chronic side pain under right ribs

Thank you so much for the reply!
    I have had a ct but they were looking for upper abdominal problems I think. The pain is definitley below the surface and I'm
    Pretty sure it's internal. I have had the pain for almost 7 months so I figured if it was a rib injury it should have healed. I think I will try a chiropractor if I can find one in the small town I live. I forgot to mention it seems worst when I am driving. Thanks again for the help

Closed Thread