It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Embarrassing issue ( med side effect )

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User
    Embarrassing issue ( med side effect )

OK... I know constipation is to be expected with chronic opiate use. I have my softners on hand as well as Activia. It really got bad when I started the LA MSContin but it is under control now. Is it possible the LA meds can cause heartburn and problem swallowing or it is the back up in the pipes contributing to this problem ? I have an endoscopy scheduled Friday to rule out any UPPER digestive problems but GI Doc asked me if I was constipated. At that time I was NOT ( I had just gotten over a virus that cleansed me ). I notice a lot of people with Chronic Pain on long term meds tend to have Nexium and other meds like Nexium as part of their regime. Co-incidence only or is it part of the package with chronic pain and opiate usage.
    and the FLATULENCE.... I know if the pipes get backed up that is to be expected but too much fiber gets my horn a tootin. That is embarrassing
    Does anyone else have these problems and what do you do ? Buy Beano by the caseload

Last edited by katlovesdogs; 03-11-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: additional info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Embarrassing issue ( med side effect )

Kat Girl-
    I'm right there with you!! Same problems and all that jazz! I get bad heartburn at the drop of the hat- even bland foods (like mashed potatoes) cause horrid heartburn sometimes. I never know what will set it off.

And the gas? Oh my gosh- constantly! But, I also have IBS (constipation dominant) so sometimes that gas tends to get trapped and not able to come out, which in turn causes upper GI issues for me.

I can tell you that I keep antacids around all the time, and instead of stool softeners which don't work for me, I could own stock in the enema companies because I buy the two pack, two at a time! I don't use them constantly because your intestines will become dependant on stool softeners and enemas and such, but I do make sure I have them around when I need them.

I think it's good your GI is going to look into this, but more than likely it's got something to do with your meds and the other problems they cause.

Please do keep us updated. Hope it all comes out ok!

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-11-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
    OK... I know constipation is to be expected with chronic opiate use. I have my softners on hand as well as Activia.
    Sorry to hear about this Kat....It can be a real drag, that's for sure!

We've talked about this extensively on this board before, so you might do a quick search as there are some good threads out there. As a brief re-cap, you might try "Metamusil." It's pure husk fiber...No different than if you ate a bunch of fruit & etc. Start slow and work up...Start with one teaspoon in 6-8 oz glass...you gotta drink it quick because it will thicken up. It comes in orange flavor...Sort of a thicker version of Gatorade. The taste is pretty good actually.

Pure husk fiber, taken about the same time every day, will probably solve the problem for you. It will make you very regular. Start slow, and work up...If you get too much gas, then you've taken too much. It takes a few days to really kick in, but you might be amazed at how well it works and makes you feel. It will move everything through very naturally and easily. You may need to experiment with the dose size to get it just right for you and your diet. Also, keep in mind that the more meds you're on & the stronger they are, the more fiber (or digestive help) you'll need.

I was watching Dr. Oz on Oprah one day, and this subject came up....He highty recommended a high fiber diet and said that a person's bowl movements should be easy and "S" shaped....Well, Metamucil will accomplish that for you. I couldn't live without it. Once in a while, I'll forget to take it, and I can tell a big difference....Then, it will take me a couple of days to get back to normal again. Many posters here have tried it and have posted very positive feedback.

[url]www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.phpt=593991&highlight=Metamuc il+Izzy[/url]

Take care, and hope you feel better,

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

One of my favorites for this is dried apricots. I like them and they seem to fix things better than just about anything else. If you like the apricot flavor it's a nice option. I had horrible gas problems from the activia and had to stop eating it.

Tigg.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

This is what works for me and I would not change anything either.

I take MIRALAX every night. It is not your common laxative in that it is not a stimulating type that you grow dependence on like Ex-Lax. It is something that you can take long-term and my doctor recommends it. I get heartburn if I do get constipated and have digestion problems plus gas. However as long as I am taking enought Miralax and everything is running fine then I have no heartburn, no digestion problems, and no gas. If once a day is not enough then you can do it twice a day.

brian
    p.s. You must take it every day and not skip days either or you will be right back to where you were. It is just like your pain you must stay on top of it or it becomes severe

Last edited by brianpain33; 03-11-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I had similar side effects immediately upon starting LA morphine. It was like as soon as I started taking it, my body stopped working for 6 days. Fortunately, the world has righted itself now and I do eat Activia every night. I can't believe how much it helps. I rarely have to take anything else, but I have sennecot on hand, and that works great. In terms of the gas, I think more fiber might make it worse. That's why I like Activia, because it is not a fiber product.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User

Have the Miralax on hand as well as some Fruit..I love Prunes.. The softeners didn't really work for me. I was concerned about using something daily but in order to "produce" daily I may need daily meds. The last thing I need is a harsh stimulant working when I am on the bus on the way to work. I do eat Activia everyday so hopefully with the Miralax and addition of the Fruit and prunes things will get moving along again. After a while, before the LA Morphine was added, just taking Percacets and the Durgesic patch I adjusted . I have NOT adjusted with the morphine and it has been a few months.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
    Alexa3
    (female)

Alexa3 HB User

I tried for so long to get rid of my constipation with foods, and sometimes it works, most times they don't. Because I waited so long I have gotten to the point that a disc in my thoracic region gets pushed into my spine causing an electric shock like pain that radiates through my whole upper body. Needless to say I am now trying other things. I did have some suppositories on hand and use those if it seems I have to push. It's hard to figure out what to do between my Lupus and all the other things that cause chronic pain. Some meds cause diarrhea, like I am on an anti-biotic now, so I don't need any laxatives, but they will be done tomorrow then it's back to regulating my intestines. I'm thankful for my pain medicine but boy I could do without the constipation. I want to try fiber but it's hard enough making sure I get enough water to drink as it is, but when taking fiber you really need a lot of water or else the problem is 10 fold. As for the musical problem lets just say I am at home most of the time and it makes my partner and I laugh a lot; which is a good side effect. Most couples I know are embarrassed about that kind of thing, we are not, but I'm going to try beano for when women's basketball season starts.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
    Have the Miralax on hand as well as some Fruit..I love Prunes.. The softeners didn't really work for me. I was concerned about using something daily but in order to "produce" daily I may need daily meds. work. I do eat Activia everyday soThe last thing I need is a harsh stimulant working.
    I can tell you that I did the exact same thing with taking 6-8 stool softeners a day and it was not working well enough so my doctor told me to use the Miralax every day and said it was fine. It is not a harsh laxative and it is fine to take every day. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT EVERY DAY AND DO NOT STOP. If I miss a day then I have to take twice as much for a day or two. The most affordable place that I have found is Walmart you can get the BIG BOTTLE $20 for a 30 day supply. If you can get it cheaper by prescription(lower copay) then ask your doc to write a prescription for it which can still be done depending on your insurance.

brian

Closed Thread