It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl patches & sticking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
    robochick
    (female)

robochick HB User
    Fentanyl patches & sticking

I have just started useing the Fentanyl patches, ( the Matrifen brand), and i have only had it on for 1 day and already its starting to come off and underneath is really red and itchy, is this normal and will the itching go once my skin gets used to the patch and does anybody know how to keep these patches on, I live in England where its really cold so I don't understand why the patch would be coming off after only wearing it for 1 day. Any advise on these patches would be fantastic, thank you x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Fentanyl patches & sticking

You might want to take a look at the thread on this board titled Fentanyl patch tips. Also go into any drug store and ask them for an adhesive overlay However here is what I use:

1.Optisite Flexifix by Smith & Nephew - an adhesive overlay that comes in a roll(have to order it online) and you cut off how much you need and put it over the fentanyl patch

Here are some of the other things that I have tried:

1. Xtra tough Band-Aids (waterproof) - put however many you need over the patch (not too great to look at but it works)
    2. Nexcare Tegaderm patches - quite expensive but they come in different sizes and it is an adhesive overlay you put over the patch
    3. Waterproof Sport Tape- comes in a roll that you can buy at any store, tear off the tape and put over the edges. does not work that great

Those are my suggestions. The Optisite Flexifix is the best, most economical solution that I have come up with (it's about $35 for 3 months of use for me).

brian

Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I always use an overlay no matter the brand patch. I bought "3M Tegaderms" online for under $40 for 100 covers (almost a years supply). They stick best on me on my lower leg, calf height, to the side of the shin in the fatty part. For me the skin is less sensitive there.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Wow 100 covers would only last me 6 months since I use 15 fentanyl patch per month.

brian

Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

These are the large ones they cover two patches. It is a great deal. I make myself wait and not change until 3 days - trying to stall tolerance. Day 3 is a *)(*)(* though!

Last edited by PNo; 03-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post

I make myself wait and not change until 3 days - trying to stall tolerance. Day 3 is a *)(*)(* though!
    I seriously doubt you are stalling or delaying any tolerance. The reason day 3 is bad for you is because your blood plasma level (BPL) is dropping off....As long as you aren't increasing your meds, then your tolerance shouldn't change.

Conversely, by waiting and having your BPL go up and down, your causing yourself to have mini WDs as well as more pain. When you have more pain, it can take more med to calm down the receptors and you may actually be doing more harm than good. You'd probably be wiser to keep your BPL more steady....And you'd feel a lot better.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
    These are the large ones they cover two patches. It is a great deal. I make myself wait and not change until 3 days - trying to stall tolerance. Day 3 is a *)(*)(* though!
    You should seriously ask your doctor to let you switch to the every 2 day changing schedule. That is what I had to do because I was having the same problem with day 3. Half way through the day my pain would start getting worse and I would start going through mild withdrawal. I told my doctor they were not lasting the full 72 hours and he allowed me to change every 48 hours. Also I have been on the same dose for over a year so it has not increased my tolerance.

brian

Old 03-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
    robochick
    (female)

robochick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    You might want to take a look at the thread on this board titled Fentanyl patch tips. Also go into any drug store and ask them for an adhesive overlay However here is what I use:

1.Optisite Flexifix by Smith & Nephew - an adhesive overlay that comes in a roll(have to order it online) and you cut off how much you need and put it over the fentanyl patch

Here are some of the other things that I have tried:

1. Xtra tough Band-Aids (waterproof) - put however many you need over the patch (not too great to look at but it works)
    2. Nexcare Tegaderm patches - quite expensive but they come in different sizes and it is an adhesive overlay you put over the patch
    3. Waterproof Sport Tape- comes in a roll that you can buy at any store, tear off the tape and put over the edges. does not work that great

Those are my suggestions. The Optisite Flexifix is the best, most economical solution that I have come up with (it's about $35 for 3 months of use for me).

brian
    Thank you for that, I will have a look in the chemists, I put micropore tape on it yesturday when it first started to peel off but its not waterproof so its clingling on for dear life at the minute, and I think that some water might of got inside the micropore tape and under the patch and might of effected the medicene inside, but I'm due to change my patch tomorrow but before I change it I'll go to the chemist and find something that is waterproof. Did you have any skin reaction to the patch? I put on my first fentanyl patch on tuesday and when I woke up on wednesday morning it was really, really red and very itchy, I had dermatology tests done in Nov 08 and all the results where clear and I'm not allergic to anything, could it be just something thagt my skin will get used to do you think?

Thanks again for your advice, how are you feeling today?
    Take care and speak soon
    Robochick x x x

Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robochick View Post
    could it be just something thagt my skin will get used to do you think?
    Thanks again for your advice, how are you feeling today?
    Take care and speak soonRobochick x x x
    It could be something that your skin will adjust to. I did have alot of that when I wore them for 3 days at a time. That is another thing that is a benefit when changing every 2 days is that your skin does not get as inflamed or irritated. I would tell your doc and see what he/she suggests. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE A DIFFERENT SPOT ON YOUR SKIN WHEN CHANGING AND DO NOT USE THE SAME SPOT FOR AT LEAST 3 OR 4 DAYS. This will help out a little bit. You could also try getting some cortisone spray at your drug store. The problem is that many times it comes in a cream or lotion and that will not allow the patch to stick even when it dries. Some people have their doctors prescribe allergy nose spray (with cortisone in it) where they spray it on their skin, allow it to dry, and then place the fentanyl patch on that spot. It has worked for others although I don't have to resort to it.

brian

Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
    robochick
    (female)

robochick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    It could be something that your skin will adjust to. I did have alot of that when I wore them for 3 days at a time. That is another thing that is a benefit when changing every 2 days is that your skin does not get as inflamed or irritated. I would tell your doc and see what he/she suggests. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE A DIFFERENT SPOT ON YOUR SKIN WHEN CHANGING AND DO NOT USE THE SAME SPOT FOR AT LEAST 3 OR 4 DAYS. This will help out a little bit. You could also try getting some cortisone spray at your drug store. The problem is that many times it comes in a cream or lotion and that will not allow the patch to stick even when it dries. Some people have their doctors prescribe allergy nose spray (with cortisone in it) where they spray it on their skin, allow it to dry, and then place the fentanyl patch on that spot. It has worked for others although I don't have to resort to it.

brian
    Hi brian,

I do have some cortisone nose spray so I'll be trying that on my next patch change. I took my 1st patch off this morning and its a bit of a mess really, its really bright red and raised, very itchy and the skin under the patch seems to be thickened, I put my 1st patch on my stomach so today I have put my 2nd patch on my back so hopefully it won't react like it has done on my stomach. (only 31 days till my next scs trial)
    Thank you for your advice, again xx

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robochick View Post
    I do have some cortisone nose spray so I'll be trying that on my next patch change.
    I put my 1st patch on my stomach so today I have put my 2nd patch on my back so hopefully it won't react like it has done on my stomach.
    xx
    Make sure you allow the cortisone spray to dry completely or use a hair dryer over the area to dry it completely before putting the patch on the skin or it won't stick well at all.
    If you get the same reaction on your back then try your upper arm because it produces less sweat and you might not have as bad of a reaction on that location. I put mine there and just rotate different areas on my upper arm.

brian

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #12
    inkedpastrychef
    (male)

inkedpastrychef HB User

Try using the product TEGADERM by 3M. It is the same product that is used in hospitals to stabilize IV's and other type of catheters. The patch will not come off until you remove it. This product is remarkable! I wish I would have known sooner about it because I lost 3 patches right away. I hope this helps. Take care and be mindful in all that we say and do - making sure to take care of ourselves. - David

Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #13
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

If you're wearing the Mylan brand, call them and they will send out overlays at no charge. They'll keep sending them so long as you wear their product. A couple of pointers: Don't apply a patch immediately after showering. Soap film and fragrances can interfere with the adhesive on the patch. Also, never treat the area with alcohol before appyling a patch. Alcohol dries out your skin. You need a little natural skin oil at the site to help the adhesive. Never EVER use a hair dryer or other heat source to try to make the patch stick better. You'll end up getting a heafty dose of fentanyl and it could be highly toxic. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
    Meg313
    (female)

Meg313 HB User

I have been using the Watson Fentanyl transdermal system patch for about
    3 weeks. They do not stick well. My insurance will not buy additional ones until the end of the time these were supposed to last. I have been trying adhesive tape but it does not work well. Why don't they make them to stick right in the first place.
    This business of having them fall off and have to tape them back on is exasperating.
    I don't want to buy anything additional as we are on a fixed income that makes everything a luxury. Guess I will try calling them tomorrow. Don't know why I did not think of that before. It discourages me that my doctor reduced my hydrocodone by half and gave me something that is a hassle. The hydrocodone was working fine with no side effects I could detect.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #15
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

I don't understand why doctors do that. When something is working, they want to change it. If you did well with hydrocodone he/she should have left well enough alone. It's certainly not due to an addiction; fentanyl is about 100 times stronger than hydrococone or morphine and Watson hasn't got the best reputation for its patches. Check with the manufacturer. Good luck - hope it all works out well.

Closed Thread