It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Nerve Pain- What gives your relief?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Nerve Pain- What gives your relief?

I've probably asked this question before, but I am soooo desperate for some relief, that I am going to ask again.

I have permanent nerve damage from a very large disc herniation. (actually, 2 hernations on the same level). I had the surgery within a month of the herniation. All is cleared out. Nothing is compressing the nerves. I've had many tests and seen many doctors. They all agree my nerves are damanged and probably not going to get any better.

So, what do you do to help your nerve pain?

I have tried Lyrica, Neurontin, Cymbalta, Tramadol, Vicodin, Opana....

I have tried Epidural Injections (some relief, but very temporary)

I have tried Chiropractor (made things worse)

I have tried Acupuncture (did nothing)

I have tried Physical Therapy: confused about this....I swear my nerve pain feels WORSE when I stretch, but I am told I need to keep doing it?

What else can I do? My next step is a spinal cord stimulator. Is there ANYTHING I can do that can help nerve pain? I read so many posts about stretching or excercising and how it helps. But as I said, I've been in PT for 2 months now, and I feel my pain is even worse. While I stretch the pain is so bad and my leg pain really flares up.

Thanks
    10sox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Nerve Pain- What gives your relief?

10sox-
    I'm so sorry you are having so much pain. It really stinks when nothing seems to help. I know what you mean about the PT making it worse. There were many times I left PT and cried all the way home because of the pain elevation. It stuck it out, and continued with the PT in hopes that somewhere down the line it would help, but it never helped with the actual nerve pain issues. The only part of PT that even touched the nerve pain was the ultrasound therapy.

I don't know what else to even suggest other than the Lidoderm patches. Some folks get noticeable improvement from them. I tried them, but unfortunately it was a no-go for me. Again, I continued using them hoping to get some help, but it just didn't do it.

I do get relief from Neurontin, but I see you have already tried it. I also use an Alpha-Stim which really helps tremendously. It's like a TENS unit, but 10x better in my experience. I love my Alpha-Stim, and can even wear it while I'm at work, or out running errands too.

Keep checking in...I'm sure someone will be able to offer something more useful. I hope you will find something to help you soon.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
    marbelmo
    (male)

marbelmo HB User

Ozzybug,
    Is your alpha stim the kind that attaches to your ear lobes?
    Just curious. I've had one offered for my nerve pain.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

My Aplha-Stim is the Alpha-Stim 100. It has three different modes of application.

1.) Electrode pads
    2.) Wands
    3.) Ear clips

The ear clips really help more for relaxation. They have saved me from many sleepless nights.

I do have to add that when I use the ear clips, I get a warm "fuzzy" feeling- almost like a euphoria- very relaxing. You don't get that feeling with the wands or the electrodes you just get relief. Needless to say, I don't use the ear clips unless I'm home and relaxing or going to bed.

I can use the unit with the electrode pads while I'm shopping, working and running errands because it's fairly small and hooks to a belt or your pants rim.

I actually had a bad headache one day and I talked my husband through the steps of using them on my head, the headache was gone before he even finished.

The unit comes in a nice case, instructional video or DVD, booklet, and LOTS of the accessories like the electrode pads, wand pads, ear clip pads and a bottle of the conducting solution. It uses micro currents which are different than the electric stimulation used by a TENS.

I know I say this alot when talking about my Alpha, but I highly recommend it if your doctor has access to them. My doctor instructed me how to use it and actually allowed me to borrow one for a month to see if I liked it and got good results. I got great results, so I bought one.

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-24-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Before you resort to the nerve stimulator implant I would suggest that you try the fentanyl patch and maybe something like Trileptal, Topomax, Tegretol, amitryptiline, nortripyline. I don't know if you have tried any of these or not. The fentanyl patch is what made the BIG difference in my combination of meds. I am also on Lyrica, Trileptal, Vicodin, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and fentanyl patch.

brian

Closed Thread