It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• what is nubain and is it considered a narcotic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
    frigate123
    (male)

frigate123 HB User
    what is nubain and is it considered a narcotic

what is nubain and is it considered a narcotic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: what is nubain and is it considered a narcotic

Yes Nubain is considered to be a narcotic medication and analgesic which means that it treats pain. I have not heard of it being used very much except for in the hospital. Does this come in a pill form that you can take? What condition are you using it for?

brian

Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
    CBO
    (male)

CBO HB User

I have always heard that nubain was synthetic demerol and that people how brave go across the border into mexico to get it.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

NUBAIN is a narcotic. Frequently used in Obstetrics. It is injectable. Patients who have been taking opioids chronically may experience withdrawl symptoms upon the administration of Nubain. I have rarely seen it used unless in the hospital in conjunction with anesthesia.
    bullymom

Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

I had some through my IV while in labor with my son. It was suppose to take the edge off the pain. I had my epidural shortly after, so not sure if it was the nubain or the epidural that gave me relief.

10sox

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
    Peggy L
    (female)

Peggy L HB User

I have diffuse scleroderma and have terrible muscle pain. Last month I went into the hospital to get pain meds through IV. I was prescribed tordahl (which has worked in the past) and then for some reason the doctor presribed this nubain. Well I had a terrible, terrible reaction to it. My arms and legs started spazzing out and I couldn't control my body. My blood pressure went off the charts and the nurse went running to get the doctor. I ended up getting admitted into the hospital to get different drugs to try and get this out of my system. I ended up just having to wait for it to run through. It was one of the most terrible things I've gone through. I have found that since I've had scleroderma that my body is developing drug allergies and this is the 2nd drug that I've become allergic to. I won't be using it again that's for sure.

Peggy

Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
    EagleEye5
    (female)

EagleEye5 HB User

I have heard that the end receptors to opioid like drugs are in the CNS, Gut, & Muscles. So when those areas are diseased, those opioid receptors in those tissues can't handle the opioids and the body reacts.

I have multi allergies to Morphine, Nubain, Stadoil, Codien, Fentanyl, Demerol, Darvocet, etc and have fibromyalgia, Crohns, and Partial complex seizures.
    Now you see why I have all these reactions to opiods. Anyaphylactic and resp arrest is how I react.

Be very cautious with Opioid use.

good luck

Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Nubain is a synthetic mixed opiate agonist/ antagonist, It is considered a narcotic and as far as I know it's only available in injectable form. It's often used in labor and delivery due to the short half life and safety to the baby.

When I had my first heart attack I was taking 600 mgs of Kadian a day ,I Had a heart attack at midnight, got to the ER by 12:15, they did the cath at 2 am and placed 3 stents in my LAD. When I woke the next morning at 6 am they had my med list but I hadn't brought my meds to the hospital.

While having the heart attack I was given several injections of morphine for pain so when I woke at 6 am and hadn't had any Kadian in about 14 hours, I was in pain and asked for something for pain. I was told they didnt stock Kadian at the time in the hospital as it was a fairly new back n 2001. The nurse said the doc had left a standing order but it was an injection and asked if that was OK, I thought we were talking about more injectable morphine as that's what they had used in the ER while having the heart attack and during the cath procedure, foolishly I didn't ask what they had giving me but within a matter of minutes I was in full blown withdrawal in the CICU hours after surviving a massive heart atack from a blocked LAD. The left anterior descending artery is commonly referred to as the widow maker.

Hard to believe that the nurses or the cardiologist didn't know what giving a mixed opiate would do to someone physically dependent on opiates. An opiate antogonist is similar to naltrexone, It blocks opiate receptors and purges all opiates from your system. The nurses panicked as my BP skyrocketed, and I developed all the symptoms of severe withdrawal in a matter of minutes, she called the cardiologist on call and the pharamcy and neither knew what to do. So they ended up calling My PM doc at home who didn't have privlidges at that hospital I had gone to, because nobody in the building knew what to do. My doc said all they could do is treat the symptoms and sedate me to make me as comfottable as posible and the nubain would simply have to wear off. They gave me IV Comapazine, Valium and morphine hoping to get things back under controlled, I was puking, sweating profusely, shaking , shivering and going from freezing to sweating my butt off in a matter of seconds, I had restles legs syndrome, was kicking blankets off and screaming at the nurses "were they trying to kill me." After about 90 minutes the nubain either wore off or the other drugs finally kicked in or a combination of both.

They had called my wife back to the hopsitlal and told her she needed to come down asap and get me under control like It was some kind of Psych patient and I was being un cooperertive, However when an opiate antagonist is given to someone physcially dependent on opiates, it blocks the reseptors and purges any opiate from your system, it was like cramming 5 days of withdrawl into about 90 minutes.

So now I list all mixed opiate agonist/ antagonist as allergies. Other drugs in this catagory are Talwyn NX, Stadol, buprenex and a few others. If anyone is dependent on opiates its the absolute last thing you want to take or be given.

It is available on the internet because it's not a scheduled or controlled drug due to the antagonistic properties, However body builders often use it for pain when usig steroids and growth hormones because they tend to overdue it in the gym and docs don't like to prescribepain meds where common sense can simply be substitiuted. Dont work out to such extremes, 3 times a day, to the point you need pain meds. It can be habbit forming and just because it's unscheduled doesn't mean it's safe.

If their is any chance your physcially dependent on opiates avoid it and all costs along with any other mixed opiate agonist /antagonist.

You would think some would know better in a CICU where people are recovering from Caths and open heart surgery and had nearly died 6 hours earlier, However many people are ignorant as to what can happen when given to a CP patient that is physically dependent on opiates. Particlualrly back in 2001 when opiates were used for few select patients when PM with opiates was in it's infancy

That experience is part of the reason I'm shocked when people still say opiates are safer than tylenol. Sure they don't cause organ damage, but like any med, their are side efects and consequences to using opiates. Having to avoid situations like this are paramount as I easily could have had another heart attack and died that morning hours after having stents put in a few hours earlier to save my life.All due to ignorance and lack of knowledge when it comes to drug/drug interactions and consequences.

Would it be a bad choice for short term use in a patient not already dependent, No, If a doc doesn't mind sendng a patient home with IV injectables. But their are so many other alternatives it isn't used in pain management but is widely abused due to the ease of obtaining it on the net or from mexico. As far as strength goes, It's about the same as 5 mgs of hydrocodone. It is in the same family as meperdine "demerol", But demerol should never be used long term due to the risk of metabolite build up, seizure and permanant kidney damage even though demerol is a pure opiate containing no tylenol.

Take care and list it as an allergy if you take opiates daily for chronic pain., Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-10-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
    Whoopee (03-26-2012)
    Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
    DiamondDiva
    (female)

DiamondDiva HB User

I'm sorry you were put through such an agonizing time including your heart problem. I have a question about Nubain and Stadol and some of what you went through.

I was given Stadol in the hospital and had a really bad reaction to it. I can tell that it helps with the pain but I get so sick and start throwing up uncontrollably and feel so dizzy that I can't move without vomiting.

I was also given Stadol Nasal Spray years ago as a med for emergency pain but the same thing would happen, I would get so sick that I would rather endure the pain than take Stadol.

Now I have Nubain prescribed and I've had a similar reaction take place and I'm wondering if it's because I take opiate based medication. I asked the pharmacist about it before getting it filled and didn't get a good answer so I only used it twice and was too scared after that. Could withdrawal or interaction with opiods be the reason why I have problems taking these medications?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
    Shoreline
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

if your presently taking opiates and have become physically dependent, which is innevatable with prolonged daily use, adding nubain or stadol which are bothed mixed opiate agonist/ antagonist, its more than likley it was withdrawal you experienced. The antagonistic effect, meaning they block opiate receptors will effect the opitates that are are in your system from daily use. this is why people have to wait 3 days/ go without opiates before starting the med suboxone, otherwise the Bup and naltrexone will send someone into immediate withdrawal. Having all opiates purged is immensely worse than simply going cold turkey. At least you have the half life of the whatever opiates you take to allow your serum level to decrease over hours when simply stopping or going cold turkey rather than it hapening in a matter of minutes from an antagoistic agent. Naltrexone is grerat stuff for Heroin or any opiate overdose, it can take someone thats blue and barely breathing to screaming and combative in a matter of minutes.

They used naltrexone to reverse anesthesia after a 10 hour spine surgery in 96 becuause it was time for shift change and I wasn' waking fast enough for the post op nursing staff, Talk about a horriable way to wake up from surgery. It could have been even worse had I been dependent on opiates prior to surgery but that just didn't happen back in the 90's. opiates weren't used long term for any reason other than malignant cancer. Once surgery was scheduled I might have had vicodin or percocet for a couple weeks prior to surgery but not long enough to develop physical dependency. Anyone taking long acting opiates should put Nubain, stadol, talwyn NX and suboxone on their alergy list when entering any hospital. It's probably not a bad idea to get an allergy alert bracelet made with those listed.
    Take care, Dave

Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
    msnutshell
    (female)

msnutshell HB User

I had a shot of Nubain once for a Migraine. I had the oddest reaction to it. On the drive home I just burst out crying. It wasn't as though I was emotional or anything but the tears just came out. It was very strange. I later read this could be a side effect.

Closed Thread