It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Why do so many people think dependence = addiction?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #46
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User
    Re: Why do so many people think dependece = addiction?

Wow Brian I am so sorry to hear about that. We actually might be related. My mother has said those exact same things about being there. I do agree that information should be kept between the patient and their doctors. It is hard to live in such a harsh society where just the thought of someone being on narcotics and in pain for a long time is judges as bad, wrong or that the person is just a "wimp."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #47
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

Why is it that our families are the worst at emotionally hurting us? When we were small children and was hurt it was our parents that were there that wanted to help and make the pain stop, the pain could have been from a little sliver to a slight cat scratch. Now when the pain is so out of hand that we have no choice but to have medicine that is addicting but does benefit us to live somewhat pain free and a little normalcy in our life they are the first in line to make the pain increase as we tightened up w/ anger and hurt from the once people that kissed the owie to make all better to the people that are pouring salt into our wounds...Whats up w/ that?

Narcotic medicines are addicting, but so many would be surprised to how many herbs and over the counter medicines that are addicting as well....

My family have never been supportive of me through anything, they only could find the negative w/ all I do. They would think nothing of it to ask me to come over to their house and rake their yard as if my pain does not exist. My family has seen me in tears over the pain but yet condemn me....It sucks that I have to be so alone through all what I go through, including trying to still give it my all w/ caring for my severely disabled son that is 18 and is like taking care of an infant. All my family can do is again slam me for having in-home staff for help....

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #48
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Captnanny, it sounds like you 'have' convinced yourself (and unfortunately probably your drs as well) that you're an addict. If you have pain, and you're taking your meds as prescribed (and we all sometimes take them earlier or later at times), it sounds much more like you are 'dependent'...as all cp patients on regular opioids are. Please stop beating yourself up. Now is the time to stand tall and talk to your psych openly and honestly about how you mixed 'dependence' up with 'addiction'.
    You said that norco works for you and doesn't cause depression? If that's the case, and it helps you get through life without so much pain, perhaps it's the best med for you to stay on - especially as you've realised that you are not addicted. I have heard many descriptions of depression with sub and it's equally hard to get off if you ever want to. This is just my opinion but I would stick with what works. And, once you've explained the situation and your confusion to your doc, I think he'll be much happier to keep you on it. He probably has his reservations at the moment because of your use of the word addiction. I've done it too...when I didn't understand what withdrawals were and thankfully my gp set me straight. WDs are normal, cravings and misuse are not. Perhaps understanding that you are a cp patient in pain, with no addiction will also help with the depression. I wrote a thread on here about WDs because it was really concerning me (that I was on a downward spiral of more and more meds) but the advice that I got from others was gold. All I needed to do was up my bt meds by one or two a day and the problem was solved. I wish you luck, it's time to stop beating yourself up and please don't let others either - we have enough to deal with as it is.
    Dolejaly and DB, I'm so sorry about your families - my mother has called me an addict and it was humiliating and devastating. No one has the right to judge another (especially someone they 'love') and sometimes the only thing you can do is keep a bit of distance for your own sanity and wellbeing.
    I wish that cp was not such a taboo, there are so many people out there that need to learn some empathy! Happy day to all cpers

Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #49
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Juliet31 and all, I thank you so much for this thread. I have been thinking that I really convince myself to say and believe things others want to hear. I do get depressed on the heavier narcotics. I also can't stand people being disappointed in me. I only know this because I think I can please everyone even at the expense of me. I am sick and tired of this. I'm tired of putting my body through hell. I just realized that for the past two years my body has been up and down on medication because I try to go off, get in more pain and withdrawals, need another surgery so go back up and all is well until I say "it's time to go down" DUHHHH I was finally in a good place and I went and talked myself into believing I was addicted because everyone asked, "are you still taking all of those medicines?"
    I guess I have to accept that I am a cp'er and my life has drastically changed because of my pain and disability.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #50
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: Why do so many people think dependece = addiction?

so many people think this becouse once an addict allways an addict, the line may wider for people that quote un quote , dont get addicted , personaly i dont know anyone who has used painkillers long term that are not addicted any more than i knew alcoholics that drank every day that were not alcoholics, there may , an acording to the fda are alot , but once we become addicted, there is no going back , an there for that is why the line is so thin . so i take it your not an addict , god bless

Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 AM   #51
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 56789 View Post
    personaly i dont know anyone who has used painkillers long term that are not addicted any more
    "Addiction" and "dependence" are two entirely different things, and are officially recognized by the medical community as such. One of the main problems is that people use the terms incorrectly. Long term use of pain meds does not equal addiction. Addiction is a mental disease characterized as a compulsive need for a drug for psychological reasons.

Regards,

Es

Old 05-31-2009, 05:18 AM   #52
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

Due to different health issues w/ my muscles, bones, nerves and chronic pain I have been on pain killers for a very long time. I myself anymore hate having to take a pill just to lower the pain to function normally in my home such as laundry, cooking, basic cleaning, and being a mom...I get so frustrated because I know what it is like to have the pain full blown and to have my children see me in such pain, but yet I feel very low about myself because of my pain medication...

My doctor on several occasions has not just told me directly but has wrote out letters to different agencies that have question my pain medication and my long term use and explained that I am not an addict but I am dependant upon my medications to function normally and pain free...That in the years that I have been on my medication that I have never abused my medication nor had to pick it up early due to running out and taking more than prescribed....

It did make me feel better when my doctor told me that I am dependant upon my medication, but that is not the same as addiction to self reassure me that I was not actually a drug addict.....

I know many do not understand the difference between the two because in all reality yes our body is addicted to our medication, but at the same time it is not used for some that as they say get a good buzz from narcotic pain medication, it is used to live closely to a normal life and be able to physically function in some of the easiest tasks in life, such as going upstairs if you have a 2 story house...grrrrrr which hurts me quite a lot....I do not get a buzz or get the feeling that some of my friends and family seem to think because that is the high they get from these medications...But, although I do know the difference between addiction and dependency I still at times feel low self esteem when my family make their slams about me being on medication.....

Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #53
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dolejaly View Post
    My doctor on several occasions has not just told me directly but has wrote out letters to different agencies that have question my pain medication and my long term use and explained that I am not an addict but I am dependant upon my medications to function normally and pain free...That in the years that I have been on my medication that I have never abused my medication nor had to pick it up early due to running out and taking more than prescribed....
    This is very interesting....If you don't mind me asking, how did this come about? Did your Doc offer this up out of the blue one day? Makes me wonder exactly how much different agencies snoop around.....

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #54
    tinabean34
    (female)

tinabean34 HB User

You are a genius everyone has been giving me a hard time. You are an addict or you will be an addict. You have to live your life without the meds, I have tried. I can't. I have tried to get off the meds at least 10 times the pain is horrid.

I will tell everyone that I am done and there are no more meds. People assume too much when you are honest, isn't it sad.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #55
    cheryl810
    (female)

cheryl810 HB User

GOD, I AM SOOOO sick of the comments and looks that I get from my family!! My mother had some percocets and gave em to my sister and said "don't tell your sister, she's loves to take pills!" SO SO NOT true!!!! Just like all of you; it's NEEDED to control the pain, and NOT a WANT!!! I've tried to live w/o em but as soon as I stop taking them; I get EXTREME pain and on the sofa all day in agonizing pain!!! What kind of life is that with 2 young kids to take care of???!!!!

People that don't suffer in chronic extreme pain have NO clue what it's like to live in pain on a daily basis. Every day is different, some good, some bad, MANY debilitating!!! What I can't understand is that if we all have some sort of report or scans that prove our pain our real then why all the questions with the pills???!!! Obviously we're taking them for the obvious pain...
    I'm at the point that I could care less what people think!! I'm at a point where I concentrate on taking care of myself and my family. If they believe me great, if not; OH WELL!!! I know that I'm not faking it or exaggerating the pain!!!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #56
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    This is very interesting....If you don't mind me asking, how did this come about? Did your Doc offer this up out of the blue one day? Makes me wonder exactly how much different agencies snoop around.....

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ex
    I mentioned it to my doctor one day of the questions and comments from my children's school. I was going through a bad spell and was having to take pain meds in the middle of the night because things got worse for awhile, and being if they were taken way too late like 4 a.m I would over sleep and the kids were late 3 times in 2 weeks over it.,so they called me with concerns of medication and raising children, They suggested maybe I look into NA,which really made my doctor mad....Along w/ other doctors I have came across at the emergency room if I needed to go up there because my pain was unbearable, and they would give me a run around saying that I was addicted or I could get addicted...the best one was when the ER doctor asked me if I realized what my meds were....LOL..I was thinking to myself...what a goofball....But, because of the way i would get treated I suffered in pain and would not go to the ER room and my doctor said enough was enough that I was dependant not an addict and he wrote a letter for me to give to my kids school and the emergency room at the hospital and he said if they had any questions to feel free to call him.....I feel bad enough not being able to do things like I use to, but I started feeling embarrassed about having to take medication to.....

Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 AM   #57
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

56789 if you can please read the rest of the thread regarding the differences between addiction and dependence. As stated by everyone else, they are vastly different. PM patients taking pain meds is no different from someone with high blood pressure taking BPL lowering medications - we need them in order to live some sort of life without being bed or couch bound. Dependence is not addiction, it is a side effect of these medications.

Ex, my dr has commented a number of times that he's received letters from the Medicare regarding my medication use and double checking months when I've needed extra BT meds etc. That's quite normal in Aus. I'd say that he gets a 'please explain' letter every 3 months or so - I used to get upset about it but now I'm used to it. Medicare send out the letter, say about me using more BT meds, he responds with why and also my PMs support or anything that the PM has to add. If Medicare are still unhappy with the response they can request a meeting with me and have me assessed by one of their own drs who I guess might lower my meds. If they do and I'm unhappy with that I can then challenge that decision. Thankfully it has never come to that but I think that all PM patients in Australia receive the same treatment. Hope that makes sense.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #58
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User
    Re: Why do so many people think dependence = addiction?

It's hard enough we deal w/ knowing that we have to be on narcotic medication to accomplish the little of tasks in life, we deal w/ people that bring to our attention the long term use of these medication...What many do not understand WE all know and understand the long term use of these medication....No, we do not like to have to feel dependant upon these medication, but although w/ the problem w/ long term use of medication I would rather have the dependency problem rather than knowing I could not even cook my children dinner, or get up out of bed in the morning to get my children off to school, do my dishes, etc... just to please others as the so called concern that many say they have about addiction.....

This is mean and I should not say this, but I wish sometimes that some of these people, especially my family, friends, and partner would have to live in my shoes for one week and see how they would deal with it....The theory of "mind over matter" does not work when it comes to REAL health issues that cause severe disruption in our life due to constant pain...That's like telling a heart attack person, no we can't help you because the medication we give you has side effects....or a person that has a seizure disorder, no you can't take medication to control them because again the medication that will help you live a normal life has side effects.....

What people don't understand is I don't know one person that would give anything to live pain free and no medication, to wake up and feel good.......

Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #59
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Why do so many people think dependence = addiction?

I have a different view because i am a recovering addict. Luckily I never abused my pain medications or took more than prescribed. This is the reason that I am able to take pain medications without it setting off my addiction. However, I do know recovering addicts that have abused pain meds in the past that currently have pain issues and are taking pain meds as prescribed. In those cases the pain medications need to be managed very strictly. It is very beneficial for someone else to have control of the pain meds and to give the person their dosage as needed.

It is true that addiction with Chronic Pain Patients should be the furthest thing from their minds. In many studies the number of CP patients that develop addiction is anywhere from 1% - 5%. If you take your medications as prescribed and take them only if you have pain then you really have very little to worry about in terms of addiction. There have been studies that have shown that the pain meds target and control the pain and a person only experiences a "high" if they take more medication than they have pain. For example:
    If you pain level is a 7, then you take a pain pill and it knocks it down to a 3, then you take another pill and it knocks it down to a 1. Then if you were to take another pain pill you would probably experience a "high" because your pain level would be less than 0, and then the pain medication would not be targeting pain anymore because it would be gone for the moment. This is why it is extemely important to ALWAYS have some degree of pain even a 0.5 out of 10 because having anything less is when a person runs into trouble with experiencing a "high". I hope that makes sense.

I know that I need to be more vigilant than the average CP patient because I am a recovering addict. My chances of developing an addiction to my pain meds is much greater than someone who is not a recovering addict. I am grateful that I have my medications to control my pain and give me a quality of life and be able to function rather well.

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 06-03-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Closed Thread