It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• sciatica and lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User
    sciatica and lyrica

Does anyone take lyrica for sciatica? I have been in the worse pain for over a week and I'm taking lortab 10 and lyrica. Has anyone tired anything that helped any better? I'm waiting for my doc app but in the mean time they told me I could take up to 5 lortabs daily and 3 or 4 lyrica but it's just not helping that much. I would love to hear from anyone going through this and if they found anything that helped with the pain. Heat or cold?
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: sciatica and lyrica

Tandy-
    I'm sorry the Lyrica isn't working for you. It gave me too many problems and really didn't help with the nerve pain, so they put me back on Neurontin which works for me.

I do know that some of these meds have to have enough time to build up to a steady serum level, so if you've only been on it for a week, it could just be that you need to give it a little more time, or the dose just needs to be adjusted upward. I can't tell by your post how long you've been on the Lyrica.

With the Neurontin, the doctor had to titrate me up and once we found the right dose, and the med had time to build to a steady serum level, I noticed marked relief.

If you continue to have pain that the Lyrica isn't helping with, then if Neurontin hasn't been tried, you might ask your doctor about it.

Another HUGE plus with the Neurontin is the cost. With insurance co-pay, it costs me $10.00 out of pocket. With the Lyrica, I had to pay $50 or $65 dollars for it. I have no idea why sometimes it was $50 and others it was $65, but that again was my co-pay amount.

I hope you get the help you need. Nerve pain is awful!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Lyrica is more used for nerve pain and it takes several weeks to begin working I am sort of suprised you have been put on this for short term pain, that sounds so odd to me as this doesn't start working right away.

anyhow yes I have severe sciatic pain from a previous back surgery and some DDD. One thing that might help you is a muscle relaxer as often times sciatic pain can be muscle pain as well. also physical therapy can help and major stretching. it can take weeks to get the pain down so hang in there. also sitting in a hot tub or a warm bath can help as well as NSAIDS. Also for me I love Ice, it really helps my pain, but heat is good for some people you just have to experiment with which one works for you. for me soaking in my hot tub does helpe and I stretch every day. I have chronic sciatic pain every day of my life so I can feel your pain. It goes into my buttocks, leg and into my foot, I also have very bad lower back pain so the combination is very painful. Hopefully your sciatic pain is going to be short lived and you will be better soon. Muscle relaxers can be very helpful I use zanaflex, flexeril or robaxin. I don't take them together but I rotate through them. when I have a horrible flair I like to get massages but it can be embarrasing as the sciatic reggion is also the buttocks.

Last edited by slipperyslope; 04-23-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
    tandycipps
    (female)

tandycipps HB User

Thanks guys,
    I just called my doc and they are calling in a muscel relaxer. I can't sit at the computer too long but I just wanted to say thanks for the input.

Closed Thread