It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Help!

Hey Grandma-

I think I would call back and speak to the nurse again....And tell her that you're sorry to bug her, but you wanted to follow up and see where everything stood....Tell that you're very worried, and have been so and that you're in a lot of pain and need your meds.

In busy Dr. offices, sometimes they need a nudge with paperwork, insurance issues & etc....Squeaky wheel gets the oil type of thing. I know you probably don't want to call or bother them, but if you don't, they may think that you're satisfied or ok without the meds. I don't think calling again will be any type of game changer and the sooner you call, the sooner you'll find out something.

Take care,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

Ex,
    I don't feel I need the prescription. The day I got the prescription for Oxycodone was the same day they did the increase on the Oxycontin. The increase has made a real difference so at this point I don't feel I need the other one(Oxycodone) that was intended for breakthrough pain. So do you think I should just call and ask where things stand at this point or since I don't need the prescription, just leave it alone? That doctor is sooooo dang busy, chances are he hasn't even gotten to this mess yet. I know of times that paperwork has sat on his desk for days before they got to me and insurance issues. Maybe I should just wait till I hear from them as I am ok pain wise. Mind wise, I am totalled. My mom always told me, no news is good news. I am hoping that holds true in this case.
    Thanks again,
    Grandma Kerri

Old 04-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kerri532 View Post

So do you think I should just call and ask where things stand at this point or since I don't need the prescription, just leave it alone? That doctor is sooooo dang busy, chances are he hasn't even gotten to this mess yet. I know of times that paperwork has sat on his desk for days before they got to me and insurance issues.
    I would call to follow up. You've been very gracious @ this point by not bothering them as you've only called the one time...I'd call back and apologize for bothering them but tell the nurse that you've been stressed and that it's affecting your pain and you just wanted to follow up.

Given your history with the office, I doubt they would dismiss you and if they did, they'd probably do it in person. Too bad the pharmacist over reacted.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 AM   #19
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Kerri-
    I think it's sad and irresponsible that they haven't called you back. Like Ex said, this must be making your pain worse as we all know stress will do to us. I know the waiting is compounding your anxiety over all this and I'm so sorry you are left dangling so to speak.

It's been several days, and like Ex said you've only called once so it's not like you've been harassing them or anything. You just really need to know where you stand and what is going to happen. I have to agree that at this point a follow up call is warranted.

I hope you are able to have a positive result from this and am also glad to hear the increase in the Oxycontin dose is helping you.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your PM so again, I hope this counts for something.

Let us know what you decide sweetie.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Quote:
    ozzybug,
    I had to call in for my refill on Oxycontin to the pharmacy today and then they fax it to the doctor. I did that today and nothing was said at the pharmacy other than ok, we will fax it to the doctor. Grandma Kerri
    No wonder you were confused. THese medications ( oxycontin and the oxycodone itself " can not be refilled and must have the original script to release the meds themselves.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kerri-
    Hey hon, just checking in to see if you've found out anything? I'm hoping no news from you is good news and things are ok.

Please drop us a line and update, ok?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

ozzy,
    I still haven't heard anything but thanks for asking. I am still so embarrassed by the whole thing that I don't even want to call. I did call the pharmacy for a refill on a different med(previous post) and they didn't say anything other than they would fax it to the doctor. I am hoping nothing is going to come of it. I haven't gotten any notices in the mail of any kind so I am hoping that is a good sign. I just don't want to bug them as they are so dang busy. They sent out a letter at one time to everyone, to not call the office about prescriptions and rude and obscene language would not be tolerated. That tells you how bad it is with their prescription refills and etc. They have so many patients and not enough doctors. I think I am just going to let it go until I hear something one way or another that tells me otherwise. It was a stupid mistake and I hope they will look at it that way.
    Grandma Kerri

Last edited by Kerri532; 04-30-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the update Kerri. I'd say that if you called for a refill and were able to pick it up, then things are good. If your doctor was going to dismiss you, I'm sure he wouldn't send the refill through without at least talking with you face to face.

My PM doctor also has rules about how many times you can call regarding a problem and also rude/abusive behavior as well. But, he also says that if you have left a message and not at least recieved a return call acknowledging receipt of your message within 24 hours to please call again. Most PM's have to have this rule, otherwise some patients would be calling and leaving messages every 10 minutes if they didn't get a call back immediately.

I understand about them being busy. It's hard to find a good and reputable PM doctor, and yes they do have lots of patients, but I still think it's irresponsible for them to make you dangle for days on end.

You take care and try not to stress for now. It was a mistake and we are only human. You know, the whole "Hind-sight being 20/20" and all.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-30-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #24
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User
    Letter

I got a letter in the mail from the pain clinic today. I figured it was my letter of dismissal since someone said that is usually what happens. Well you can imagine how happy I was, when it was just a notice changing my next appointment from the first of July to the end of July. I guess it must mean that everything is ok and I am not in trouble. I'll tell you what. I learned a valuable lesson. I will never again, lay my prescriptions on the table or anywhere where someone would have access to them. I have never been so scared in my life and hope this is the end of this ordeal.
    Thank you everyone for your support. It helped a lot.
    Grandma Kerri

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #25
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm SO glad everything is ok. I know you feel much better. Thank you so much for keeping us updated.

Take care sweetie!

PS- I hope you are continuing to see improvement in your pain with the increased dose on the Oxycontin!!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Re: Letter

Quote:

Well you can imagine how happy I was, when it was just a notice changing my next appointment from the first of July to the end of July.
    Do you have enough meds to last you that long? How is your Doc handling re-fills / new scripts?

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

Ex,
    I have enough of all my other meds to last till then. The oxycontin, I called in to the pharmacy as I mentioned in my other post. They said they would fax it to the doctor and that was it. I am due to pick it up around the 10th so we will see how that goes. I am embarrassed to go into the phamacy. I wonder if they have a red flag on your record after something like this happens? It sure does bother me, still!!! I have to have a cervical MRI done on the 12th so guess I will pick up my script then if everything is ok. I have a bad disc in my neck that the doctor wanted to fuse three years ago. I declined but the headaches are unreal. I have little bit of hand numbness if I lay wrong at night but not too bad. Headaches are the worst part of it.

Ozzy,
    I am doing pretty well with the increase of Oxycontin so at this point, I am not even going to ask for the new prescription of Oxycodone. The increase kind of nauseates me so I think I better get used to where I am at and since the pain is better I am ok. I hope I can stay where I am and not have to increase more, later. I sure feel better but I still can't sit very long or I really start to hurt. I have an old body in a young mind and my mind runs wild. Especially after something like this happened. I am on the mend with my mind.(No hope for the rest of me)
    Thanks,
    GK

Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:

I am due to pick it up around the 10th so we will see how that goes. I am embarrassed to go into the phamacy. I wonder if they have a red flag on your record after something like this happens? It sure does bother me, still!!!
    It's understandable how it would bother you....Probably will for some time. However, don't let it keep you from going into the pharmacy. You don't want to act like you're guilty or something. In fact, I'd make a point to go just to be seen....To let them know you've done nothing wrong and aren't afraid to go in there. Conversely, if you don't go back...Or have someone else pick up your meds....Or act suspicious in any way, they just might think something. You don't want them to think that you're "guilty" and thus, won't come in there anymore.

I wouldn't think the pharmacy would officially red flag you...i.e in their system or anything. Yes, the pharmacist will probably remember and may look at you a bit differently, but I don't think you have much to worry about. If anything, you may want to make light of it, or point blank say something like..."I sure learned my lesson about leaving scripts laying around my grandchildren", or something like that....Acknowledge the issue, rather than run from it, if that makes sense.

Personally, I think it was pretty tacky of the pharmacist to pull the fire alarm like that. All he/she needed to do was hand it back to you and say, "I'm sorry, but this has been written on in some way...What happened?"...And when you told them, then they could have very nicely refused to fill it and told you that you needed a new script. Problem solved. This is why relationships are so important at pharmacies today....Too many of these pharmacists overreact. I could see maybe a pharmacist calling the Doc if you didn't use them regularly and were a unsavory looking character, or had some ongoing issues of early refills, or suspicious track record of behavior....But, you haven't. Everyone one of us are "human" and mistakes / things happen....There needs to be a bit of room for reasonable behavior. Things in life happen unexpectedly....That's why we call them "accidents."

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread