It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User
    Help!

I am new on this board and at my wits end. You will never believe my story but it is true. I have been in PM with the same doctor for six years. History of back problems, among other things. I have been taking Oxycontin for several years. A couple weeks ago my doctor gave me a prescription for Oxycodone for breakthrough pain. At the same time he wrote me out two other prescriptions for other meds with three refills. I left them on the table and all of a sudden my grandson says, "grandma I fixed your prescription". He circled the 3 for three refills on the Oxycodone. Me, not knowing any better tried to erase it. Obviously prescriptions can't be erased, I now know that. I should have chucked it in the garbage but I took it to the drugstore anyway because I didn't want to deal with getting a new prescription.(If you knew how long it takes to get through to someone you would understand) To make a long story short when I got called to be told that my prescription couldn't be filled, I didn't even bother to explain what happened. She could see that I had made an attempt to erase it so that voided the prescription. Now I found out there is no refills on Oxycodone anyway. I feel like a criminal and I have never done anything wrong in my life. I immediately called the doctor's nurse and left a message as to what happened. For once, it didn't take long for them to call me back. All she could say to me was "I'll have to talk to them and see how they want to deal with this". Deal with what? I am freaked out here. I did try to erase the refills, shouldn't that account for something? Not to mention at my last doctor visit, I took a whole baggie of hydrocodone to him and handed it over. I told him he could do whatever with it that it didn't work for me. I would think that this says something about me also. Maybe I am worrying for nothing but I keep waiting for someone to show up at my door and take me to jail. What can they do to me if I didn't fill the prescription and I did try to erase what my grandson did? My history of pain goes a long ways back and I have never abused drugs in my life. Please reply and let me know what you think.
    Thanks so much,
    Grandma Kerri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User
    Re:Someone please answer

I know I am new here but I would appreciate some feedback if anyone has any thoughts. After reading on this board, I realize this is a controlled subtance which I didn't know before. Not that makes any difference in what happened. Since the prescription was not filled and I did try to erase, I can't imagine that they would do anything but I am still totally out of my mind with worry. I have never been in trouble in my life and would hate to get into trouble for something I tried to correct. I realize I should have thrown the script away instead of trying to erase.
    Grandma Kerri

Old 04-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User
    Re: Help!

Oh my goodness Kerri. I don't have anything profound to say, but didn't want your post to go completely unanswered. You are right it really does sound unbelievable. How old is your grandson? Is he old enough to explain to your doctor what he did? If you have been in PM for 6 years and have never had a problem maybe your doctor will be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. My only advice is to keep your RX's in a safe place. My grandson is 3 and a half, and he would probably take a crayon and scribble all over the whole prescription rather than circle a specific number. Granted, strange things happen all the time, so anything is possible. I don't think the cops are gonna show up at your door. Please let us know how things turn out. I will be thinking about you.
    Bullymom

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

Bullymom,
    Thank you at least for responding. My grandson is 15 and no way is he into drugs or would even know what the drug was. He just thought since the other prescriptions had three refills on them that the doctor just missed putting it on this one. I should have explained at the drug store right off about what happened but there were so many people standing there, I was totally embarrassed. I immediately called the doctor's office and explained to them what happened. The pharmacy had already called them and this was in a matter of ten minutes. I guess that is why it scares me so bad. I came home and looked up the drug and then I realized why it is so serious. But then I guess it would be serious if you did that on any prescription, no matter what it is. It is tampering or forgery, or whatever and considered a felony. If I didn't have high blood pressure before, I do now. I told my grandson I might go to jail because of what he did. He is beside himself with worry and I shouldn't lay all the blame on him as I shouldn't have left my prescriptions on the table to begin with. You can't believe all the things that go through your mind in a situation like this. I hope I am worrying for nothing but I feel like a criminal and I didn't do anything wrong except try to erase. It is a lesson well learned that is for sure.
    Once again, thank you for your post.
    Grandma Kerri

Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

GK, it's good that you at least called your doctor. I agree that you probably should have told the pharmacy person right away, too, just to clear up any questions. Depending on who is handling it, it could go a few ways. Do you have a good relationship w/your doctor?

I have left my prescriptions on the table a few times, but I live alone w/my husband. I definitely would not leave them out under any circumstances, ESPECIALLY if anyone is coming over, even family. I usually get post dated prescriptions for my oxycodone, and one time my husband tried to "help me get organized" and filed them in our file cabinet and I couldn't find them anywhere. Let's just say he now has orders to never touch any of my medical info, prescriptions, notes, or meds ever again without talking to me first.

I really hope this works out okay for you. Your good history with your doctor will probably help. Ultimately though, in severe circumstances you could be charged with attempting to fraudulently obtain a controlled substance (depending on your state laws). I assume you will be more careful in the future.

Last edited by Toonces1; 04-26-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

It is going to depend on your doctor and what he decided to do about it. Your grandson being 15 is going to be a bit of a sticking point, I'd imagine, since he is certainly old enough to know better than to write on a prescription.
    Erasing it as you did can be considered to be tampering/altering, just as your grandson's actions could be.
    Since you called the doctor's office and tried to explain may or may not save your relationship with your PM .
    The bigger problem is that the pharmacy had already called them about the alteration to the prescription and notified them, so your calling may be seen as trying to cover for the alterations.
    I hope that it turns out in your favor, but there really is no way for anyone here to know how your doctor will view the incident.
    I keep all of my scripts in my wallet, so that no one can touch them but me.
    Back

Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

As the others have said, it will all come down to what the Doc says....He could write it off as no big deal, or he could make a big deal out of it. Being that you have a good history with him and that you have taken meds back to him is a big plus in your corner....Especially returning a whole bag full of meds....Anyone who wanted to abuse meds would not have done that. I'm sure it's documented in your chart and he'll probably remember that as well.

Sounds to me like an honest mistake and hopefully, the Doc will see it that way too.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I have no idea what happens in this situation you got yourself into. Hopefully it will all work out with no problem. I do have some advice for you.

1. You should always protect your medications, the bottles, and even the paper the script is written on before it is filled. As a pain patient it is your responsibility to keep them in a safe place where they can't be misappropriated, misplaced, stolen, or an issue even as simple as this one - altered.

2. You should know what the medication is that you are written before you leave the doctor's office. You said you have neen a pain patient for 6 years and you take oxycontin, and didn't know what this was. It seems it would be obvious that oxycodone would be a similar thing to you. I would think you would know about these medications, and the seriousness of them.

3. Your grandson is old enough to keep his hands to himself, unless he is leaning disadvantage or something. He should know that you do not alter documents. So you really need to take some very significant precautions in your household to keep him and you safe.

4. I think if you have had no other problems they will not pursue any problem with this, but you can bet your pharmacy and doctor havs a watch on you now and make sure you do not have any other problem or issue regarding medications.

On a side note - all those pills you returned, they were written by that doctor I hope!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Wow Kerri-
    I know you are worried. It's hard for many of us to get in with a good PM doctor, so when we are able to get treatment and have a good relationship with our PM's we do everything in our power to NOT do anything to cause suspicion.

I can understand your fears and concerns right now. I know you can't go back and re-do this situation, but maybe the better thing to have done would have been to call the doctor immediately upon learning your grandson had circled that three on the scrip. I know you said it takes a long time to get through to a person at the doctor's office, but it would have saved you all of this trauma.

I have to agree with the others that your grandson is certainly old enough to know not to bother with things that don't belong to him, but this is something you will have to deal with between you and him.

Sweetie, I also have to agree with the others that your solid relationship with your doctor and returning meds to him in the past may just be your one saving grace in all this. I hope it does. However, you do need to be prepared for the worst- just in case your doctor is strict when it comes to these rules. Many doctors regardless of how good a patient they are dealing with will be forced to make the choice to dismiss them from the practice in order to protect his/her practice. With the DEA being so very involved with pain meds and pain management, these doctors are already fearful, so you know what that means.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way that this will have a good outcome for you. Maybe you can talk with your doctor face to face about this. It might help. Right now, I'd say do anything possible to save this situation.

Please do keep us posted. Again, good luck.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-27-2009 at 05:54 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Yah that is pretty serious and I am shocked a 15 year old would do that. I figured he was like 3 or 4 when you mentioned he did this. What was he thinking and yah, I hope your DR understands because this is defintley grounds for dismissal. And your lucky the police didn't come because this very well could have happened and you could have been taken into custody. It is a felony and has serious reprocutions. I never ever leave my prescriptions out in the open, even though I live with my husband and we don't have to many people over I just wouldn't risk it as it can be tricky to get a new one from the DR not to mention what if he goes on vacation and you need a new one. Not a good idea at all. I hope your grandson learned a lesson for what he did. I am surprised he doesn't know what the medication is, kids at that age usually know what oxycontin and oxycodone is. You would be surprised. Very bad situation all around and I do hope things work out for you. I have heard a lot of stories on this board about lots of different issues with narcotics but this is a first for me. keep us posted and I will pray your relationship with your PM is not destroyed over this. I also find it really odd that you have been taking oxycontin for years but really didn't know that the medication is a controlled substance and really had no idea what oxycodone was. Maybe you wrote that in error as your really nervous and that was a mistake because most people that have been in PM for years, know what oxycodone is and knows that you cannot get refills on it, that you have to carry in a new RX to the pharmacy every month as its not something you can even refill. Oxycodone is the same thing as Oxycontin, the only difference is that the oxy is a long acting medication and oxycodone is an instant release medication but I am sure you know that. They are the same thing so yes, both are a controlled substance and not to be taken lightly or altered in any way shape or form. Can you let us know how this worked out and if your DR ended up meeting with you or calling you. I think most PM DR'S would let a patient go for something like this because its so far fetched. Even though I do beleive you and feel you are sincere its just very bizarre. I hope it all works for you.

Last edited by slipperyslope; 04-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Hey Kerri,
    Another day has passed and I hope you are feeling better about things. I hope you have been able to talk with your Pain doc and he is willing to stand by you. I think that sometimes CP patients can be the toughest on each other because of all the scrutiny we have to endure over and over. But we do care very much for you and are here to support you, don't be mistaken about that please!! I remember once when I was counting out my pills to make sure they were all there, the bottle fell over and about half of them fell into the UNCOVERED cat litter box. I simply could not try to salvage those pill's. I was too afraid to tell my doctor, so I suffered. I didn't want a single incident on my charts regarding my meds. My doctor probably would have replaced them, but I wasn't gonna take a chance. Anyway, I am sure your grandson loves his granMA, and feel's terrible about all of this. Please sweetie, do drop a post and let us know how you are doing. The most important thing to anyone here is that you receive the appropriate care for you pain. Not everyone is well versed in pain management or the medications involved. If we were, there would probably be no need for this board. Rest well
    Bullymom

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

I still haven't heard back from the nurse so I don't know what is going on. I keep thinking I should call but maybe I should leave it alone till I hear from them. The not knowing drives me nuts.
    I will explain why I was confused with the Oxycodone and not realizing it was like Oxycontin. I do have to have the Oxycontin filled at a local drugstore, 28 day supply and a new script every month. The meds that can be filled (three month supply) is through mail order. I was getting hydrocodone through mail and three month supply. So when I took back almost a full prescription of hydrocodone and told the doctor it wasn't working, he wrote me a three month script for the oxycodone to mail in. That is why I didn't think it was like Oxycontin. Actually I thought it was another form of hydrocodone. Now I have to ask what is hydrocodone? I hate to appear stupid but it is obvious I made some pretty dumb mistakes in the last few weeks.

Don't phamacies have copies of all your prescriptions on file? If so how long do they keep them on file?| They could check to see that I don't make a habit of this. I am so glad they didn't call the police. I would have died on the spot. The way it was, I was so embarrassed all I wanted was out of there. I immediately called the doctor office within minutes and left a message. I guess it is a wait and see but a friend of mine told me if no prescripion was actually filled they can't arrest me. I guess that makes me feel somewhat better. I am still scared but not much I can do about it.
    Thank you guys for answering.
    Grandma Kerri( With more gray hair now)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Kerri-
    I really hope and pray this isn't a bad sign. Many PM doctors will dismiss their patients through certified mail. Being as they haven't called you yet, this may not be a good thing.

I would tend to think if the doctor was going to be able to "overlook" this situation you would have heard back by now.

I really and truly hope I'm wrong about this. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything. We are all here to support you.

Take care.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kerri532 View Post
    I thought it was another form of hydrocodone. Now I have to ask what is hydrocodone?
    Grandma Kerri( With more gray hair now)
    Hydrocodone is the active ingredient in Vicodin, Lortab, and Norco. The generic of these is hydrocodone ?/? APAP where the ? stands for the # of milligrams of hydrocodone and the # of milligrams of acetaminophen(Tylenol) (example hydrocodone 5/500 APAP equals 5mg of hydrocodone & 500mg acetaminophen)

brian

Last edited by brianpain33; 04-28-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
    Kerri532
    (female)

Kerri532 HB User

ozzybug,
    The nurse did call me twice the day it happened. I haven't heard from them since. She said she would see how they want to deal with this and that was it. I had to call in for my refill on Oxycontin to the pharmacy today and then they fax it to the doctor. I did that today and nothing was said at the pharmacy other than ok, we will fax it to the doctor. So I know nothing. I would sure as heck welcome a dismissal in the mail rather than have charges pressed on me for something like this. I guarantee I will take the blame if it comes to it and leave my grandson out of it. He is a good kid and wouldn't do something like this if he had known how serious it is. I dang near threw it out but like I said, I tried to erase and that just added to something that was already wrong.
    Another thing that may or may not make a difference. I refused to let the doctor up my dose of Oxycontin even though I was in quite a bit of pain. I drug it out until I had to do something different. I do feel a difference and at this point don't even feel that i need that trouble making prescription. I just wish i would hear one way or another before I lose my sanity. I have never been so scared in all my life. Does anyone know what the time frame is if the doctor is going to dismiss you? I would hope he doesn't drop me flat on my face as I know the WD would be terrible, again!!! Such a mess with the way they do their prescriptions and I have ran out of Oxycontin twice due to screw ups between the insurance company, doctor's office, and or the pharmacy. It has really been a mess from day one. I would love to quit all these meds totally and save myself the hassle but I would die from pain. Back surgeries are not all they are cut out to be. You trade one pain for another. I am sure I am not telling anybody anything they don't already know.
    Please cross your fingers for me. I am totally on my last nerve.
    Thanks to everyone that replied/replies.
    Grandma Kerri

Closed Thread