It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• constipation, pain meds, suggestions tonight please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User
    constipation, pain meds, suggestions tonight please

Can anyone please suggest something for constipation from pain meds I think? I have a history of constipation in general.I have been hospitalized once 2 years ago from it. Colonostopy was ok. Please help I have had severe health issues the last year ..back surgery, mrsa staph infection, very off blood counts, low white/red counts, anemic, neg. for leukemia , one positive, one negative for lupus....told this week I might need more back surgery...freaking. I hope I am on the right board. I chose it because I think the constipation is from the pain meds. Anything you can tell me greatly appreciated.
    Sophie 56

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User
    Re: constipation, pain meds, suggestions tonight please

Hi Sophie,
    So sorry your having problems with constipation. Just recently we had a lengthy thread about this very problem. It was called, "constipation with oxycodone" started by Carlos. It's on the very next page of threads. There was some great advice in that thread. I switched over to miralax because of it and I can't believe how well it works. I was taking some hard core stimulant laxitives on a daily basis until I read the post's. Look it up and see if you can't get a few ideas from there. Best of luck, and I hope everything comes out OK!!

Bullymom

Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User

Lol...thank-you bullymom. I'll check it out.
    Sophie

Old 04-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
    lifeaftr40
    (male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Activia yogurt helps me and I don't have to wait the 7 days they recommend on their commercials either

Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I use Miralax to prevent becoming blocked. That and fiber 1 bars are the start of my day, along with apples and other fruits. But the Miralax has really worked for me also.

I'm a cp patient after two back surgeries.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I also use Miralax EVERY DAY. I had started off taking stool softeners and was taking 6-8 pills a day until I started on the fentanyl patch and then those did not work. My doctor suggested the Miralax and I take it every night and have good luck but you must take it every day. I have found the cheapest place to get it is Walmart or you can get your doctor to write a prescription for the pharmacy grade Miralax if your copay is lower.

brian

Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
    nancyjo
    (female)

nancyjo HB User

I take Percodan every day for pain mgmt. as well as taking 325mg of iron three times each day, so I know plenty about this topic! For me, the best thing is to use the inexpensive "stimulant laxative" pills; I buy them generic for less than $4. I've also had to use enemas, but the laxatives work much better for me.

I hope you get some relief soon!

NancyJo

Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Please see the thread titled "Re: OC ER to MS ER Change or not? $$$$" on the "Chronic Pain Board"....A very recent testimonial.

Regards,

Ex

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Miralax is great! Hey Brian, my husband picks up the miralax at Sams and it's for 2 big bottles and I think that might be a little cheaper, you should check it out if there's one near you.

Melissa

Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
    sedative ocean
    (female)

sedative ocean HB User
    Activia for me...

Activia for me also.
    I have been on constipating opiates for way to long
    I have tried all from Sennacot to Fleets enema's added Miralax and Benifiber, Not all at the same time.
    I found Activa and it is incredible, works within 7 days.
    My life is soooooo much easier now that all is working well.
    I have never been a fan of Yogurt but WOW it really does work well and painlessly also.
    Just something that works so very well for me.

peace
    Donna

Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
    herzel
    (female)

herzel HB User

I too have been on Fentanyl for about 2 years due to 3 foot surgeries and it has made me so bad that my stomach hurts so bad..What helps me is Milk of Magnesism liquid,only name brand, and I double or triple the cup that comes with it and that will usually always work. It gags me but works. The more water you drink the better it works. I've tried everything and that is the only thing that works for me. Good luck and I really would try it. I had my husband run out last night to get me some and I was up all night going so it did work. I know how you feel.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
    dallas3_71852
    (female)

dallas3_71852 HB User

I have always had good luck with Mineral oil. I just take a swig in the morning,
    1 tsp no cramping or nothing,works great

Old 05-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
    patti678
    (female)

patti678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
    Can anyone please suggest something for constipation from pain meds I think? I have a history of constipation in general.I have been hospitalized once 2 years ago from it. Colonostopy was ok. Please help I have had severe health issues the last year ..back surgery, mrsa staph infection, very off blood counts, low white/red counts, anemic, neg. for leukemia , one positive, one negative for lupus....told this week I might need more back surgery...freaking. I hope I am on the right board. I chose it because I think the constipation is from the pain meds. Anything you can tell me greatly appreciated.
    Sophie 56
    Hi Sophie:
    I have tried them all. I am on MS Contin (time released morphine) and MSIR. The only thing that help me is lactulose syrup. I take 4 tablespoons a day. I do not have the horrible cramps with this drug. I have cramps with miralax and every other constipation med. I have had chronic pain from a facial nerve injury for 21 years. so , I have had constipation for 21 years. So, I know. Lactulose syrup or enulose syrup will really help. It tastes fine, but you will need a prescription from your doc to get it.

Patti

Last edited by patti678; 05-09-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #14
    flower4
    (female)

flower4 HB User

the colonix from drnatura helped my constipation, i used the fibre, paranil and the tea, the tea contains senna, so it acts as a laxative. now i have bowel movements every day and of a large consistency.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #15
    flower4
    (female)

flower4 HB User

colonix from drnatura helped me with constipation.

Closed Thread