It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Hi - I have a question about Oxycodone IR 15mg and severe nausea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Hi - I have a question about Oxycodone IR 15mg and severe nausea

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarajb View Post

Thanks again Ex - if I take a pill just after eating, I've was sick 3 times last week so I'll take it before I eat and see how that goes - the good thing is I'm eating a bit less fat/junk (still hungrier than pre-Oxy IR though) but that's good because my diet left a lot to be desired last year.
    I think if you take it before you eat, it's only going to be worse....it will hit you harder and faster. Think of the example of drinking alcohol on an empty stomach vs a full one.

I wonder if you could break it in half and take it in two separate doses, about 30-45 minutes apart? Many pills are "scored" for that very reason, so people can cut them.

Take care, and I hope things improve for you.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It could also be that you are so constipated that when you take the medication it causes bad nausea. I know this happens to me and I have to make sure that I take my Miralax every night. I would definitley suggest getting Miralax(cheapest at Walmart) instead of the Senna. That stuff is a harsh laxative and is not good for your digestive system. On the other hand Miralax can be taken every day indefinitely without doing harm. Keep in mind that it can take up to 3 days to have a BM (only when you first start taking it). Once you are regular you might not have the nausea.

brian

Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thanks Ex, I read that wrong - will try that. Yesterday I was find except for a small annoying headache late night last night.

Thanks Brian, I had no idea that Senna was not good for you -I'll be sure to pick up the Miralax tomorrow when I do my grocery shopping because the Senna is just not cutting it and the stomach pain is now more annoying than the nausea.

I did not have any of these problems with the Percocet but I would like to find a happy medium here because I would prefer the pain relief from the Oxy IR's - it is taking me time to find a happy balance but agian, thanks because I thought Senna was ok to use.
    Tara

Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:

I'll be sure to pick up the Miralax tomorrow when I do my grocery shopping because the Senna is just not cutting it and the stomach pain is now more annoying than the nausea.
    Tara-

Before you take Miralax, you might want to do a little research first. It's not something I want to put in my body on a regular (or even irregular) basis. Not only does it disrupt the balance and absorption of minerals in your body, but its primary ingredient, "PEG," is a close cousin to anti-freeze.

Research has shown that the amount of PEG excreted is less than the amount taken in constipated adults (ironically, if you're not constipated, all of the PEG passes through), which means that you absorb some PEG everytime you take Miralax. Search for PEG to see if it's something you want to store in your body. In lab tests, it has produced some disturbing results.

For constipation, fiber is the best. It's natural and moves everything right on through. Either natural fiber or Metamucil, which is pure husk fiber...Just like eating real fiber, apples & etc. 1-2 tablespoons mixed in a 6 oz glass of water is perfect....Drink it quick before it thickens up. After a couple of days, you'll be very regular. If you get too much gas, back off a bit until you find the right balance.

Regards, Ex

Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #20
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thank you again I feel like the little kid in the park. I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience with various remedies for nausea and constipation. Thank you Brian for telling me about it and your experience and also Ex, thank you too for suggesting I research it a bit more. I pass Metamucil all the time and I know I should buy it because I am sure I don't get enough fiber in my diet so I'll give it a try - I drink a protein shake daily so I'll try it with the shake. I'll let you know how it goes.

Everyone knows their own body - this month has been bumpy - I've never had a problem with constipation so this is all great info - I read the other thread as well that was posted recently which referred to yet another thread on constipation but havent' had the time to read it. I gain so much information and everyone's time and replies and experiences is, again, much appreciated.
    Tara

Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

And I take extra Zinc and that too is hard on the stomach as is so the constipation and nausea - I feel like my days are geared around timing of dosing of OTC and prescribed meds lol. My 20's were a breeze to almost 50 - boy does the body change at the half-mark!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
    patti678
    (female)

patti678 HB User

Hi:
    I know it is a stronger med. but Ms Contin has alot less side effects than oxy or percocet does. People tend to get mean and angry on oxy contin, percocet. I have talked to a lot of people about it. Most have the anger issues with oxy and the nausea. A low dose of Ms Contin would let you function better but you will still have issues with nausea and constipation. If your pain is chronic and long term than percocet or oxycontin or oxycodone is the worst choice to take long term. I know as it almost cost me my life and marrage. If your pain is a short term then you may be okay with percocet or oxy codone or oxy contin.
    I hope you feel better. Also the phenagren 25mg, that I mentioned in a earlier post will help the sedation effect of your pain medicine. It will help a little with your pain
    major pain in Jacksonville,
    Patti

Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Thank you Patti - my PM doctor has never suggested any other medicine (I finally had the nerve to ask about Oxy IR due to the tylenol in percocet). About 1 year into treatment with this PM doctor (my only PM doctor ever), I did bring up LA meds on the advice received here and I was knocked down - 'no'. He asked me how I learned about LA meds, seemed suspicious so I let it go.

I did ask my PCP if he would prescribe for me but he prefers that I use PM for narcotic meds. He just opened his office and has other things to worry about than whether he will get flagged or the like. I may raise it with my PCP and see what he says.
    Thank you for the info on phenagen.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #24
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:

About 1 year into treatment with this PM doctor (my only PM doctor ever), I did bring up LA meds on the advice received here and I was knocked down - 'no'. He asked me how I learned about LA meds, seemed suspicious so I let it go.
    Is this Doc an actual PM Doc, or is he a regular Doc who has shown an interest in PM and thus, sees a lot of PM patients? The reason I ask is because this is unusual. Usually, it's the opposite....PM Docs will prescribe LA meds and are very stingy on the BT meds, or short acting. It's well documented that SA meds are far more abused.

In addition, the SA meds cause "ups and downs" because the blood plasma level (BPL) is either going up or down....Think of a sine wave....One big continuous up and down curve. When you take a SA med, the BPL spikes and then comes down fast....Then you take it again at some point in the day, and the BPL goes back up again. Conversely, LA meds are slowly released in your system, which keeps one's BPL steady.

The reason your GP is probably shying away from treating you for pain is because PM today requires a whole different approach in terms of risk management, and he probably doesn't want to go down that road. GPs will often treat patients for acute pain....A script here or there....But, if the pain is chronic, they will refer one to a PM Doc....Makes life easier for them.

What you may want to do is talk to your GP openly about your issues....Explain that you've done some research and the normal approach to PM is LA meds coupled with BT meds and see what his thoughts are. In this conversation, I would ask about maybe seeking the services of another PM Doc and see what he thinks. However, I would explain that confidentiality is of the utmost importance because you don't want to be dropped by this other PM Doc and left without meds.

However, you may be perfectly fine with the current approach, and if so, then I'd leave the sleeping bear lay.

Just curious....How did you respond when he asked you how you learned about LA meds?

Take care,

Ex

Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #25
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Hi Ex, I posted about it back then, about 2.08?, almost a year after I had been in is treatment or a little after a year. He is a certified Anestiologist; he has credentials from 4 different, big, well-known institutions/hospitals and uses all 4 in his signature! My GP said "he's full of himself" lol when he read a letter to the GP from PM doc updating him on EMG results and my general improvement from the Trigger shots. They personally do not know each other. The second opinion PM doctor whom I saw in July 08 was a referral from my GP and he agreed that I am in chronic pain and require, amongst other modalities, he thinks what will work is nerve ablations. My husband is now almost of the view that I should try them, if I get even 3 months he thinks it's worth it. I have received varying opinions from friends who have had back surgeries - of the 4 I know, 3 have failed. So I get a good deal of "don't do it; don't touch a thing". When my PM doctor said "No" and "how do you know of these LA meds" (he is European), I said I have a friend who is a nurse and she mentioned it to me (which is 100% true as her brother is in PM). He was fine with that. There are problems in the area I live with Oxycontin. In fact, per my friend and our Dentist (per my husband), I would be better suited to travel to another State (I live on the border of two States) for quality PM facilities. After reading for so long about so many who can't get anything, I figured I am lucky to get what I do. And what I do receive is adequate - I would love an LA med to avoid the ups and downs but with the OXY IR, the downs aren't coming as quickly, I don't get any type of high (I get sick lol). Plus, as you know, he increased by monthly RX by 50% and I'm no longer taking all that Tylenol day in and day out. I have been taking Alleve with the Oxy IR 50% of the time and it makes a difference for me - I get longer and better pain relief with the combo when I take the Alleve.

I suspect that I could raise it again with him but since I just switched over to the OXY IR and the pain relief is good, I'm ok for now. Ah, I just remembered that the Chiro in practice told me that they had a problem with 1/2 dozen patients and I think records were reviewed so things were a bit strange during that period. I was happy it wasn't closed down as they really do care - the Chiro and the assistant chart everything, which I love.
    Thank you for all of your help (I got the metamucil today but interestingly, that was not an issue today so I believe I'm leveling out and my body is reacting better than it has been (I hope!).
    T

Closed Thread