HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Hi - I have a question about Oxycodone IR 15mg and severe nausea (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/690838-hi-i-have-question-about-oxycodone-ir-15mg-severe-nausea.html)

kim46 05-06-2009 05:44 AM

Hi - I have a question about Oxycodone IR 15mg and severe nausea

Hi, I hope you can give me some ideas. 2 months ago my medication was changed from Percocet 10/325 to Oxycodone IR 15 mg. I had been at the Percocet 10mg for 2 years. When I get the script, I take 1 pill every 4 hours (sometimes I extend it to 6 if I am having a good day).

From last Monday until this past Monday, I only needed 1.5 or 2 pills a day. Some days I took only 1. Yesterday was not a good day (I have Chronic Myofascial Pain and painful scoliosis). I took my allotted 3 pills - 1 every 3 hours. I got so sick last night............full on nausea.

I took some Pepto Bismal and it helped somewhat. I didn't sleep well. Last month I had similar symptoms.

I have read about Phenergan here (sp). Should I ask my doctor for a prescription - will it help? The percocets never made me nauseous.
Thanks for any advice.
Tara

lifeaftr40 05-06-2009 06:04 AM

Re: Hi - I have a question about Oxycodone IR 15mg and severe nausea

I occasionally get nauesa from my percocets and or my morphine. It is funny because sometimes NOTHING and then wham.. I get that feeling. I did mention to my Dr. and she did suggest taking meds with food. But I never know WHEN I am going to get sick. She did mention that Phenegran was an option but was hestiate to give as it can be sedating ( I am also on MS Contin 2x a day )So I do keep Dramamine on hand when I need it.

kim46 05-06-2009 06:40 AM

Thank you - I will pick some Dramamine up today. I have been hopeful that the Oxy IR would work as the percs 10/325 (3 a day) weren't doing the job toward the end of the 2 year mark. I'ld like to give it another month or two but getting that "wham" sick, oh boy, I wasn't expecting this.
Thank you.

Executor 05-06-2009 07:06 AM

Sorry to hear about your nausea. Hang in there...Your body will adjust. Are you getting brand or generic in the IR? Were you getting brand or generic in the Percs?

Also, if you take with food, it should help a lot.

Regards,

Ex

ThreeBadDiscs 05-06-2009 09:00 AM

It also could be that you just got too much medicine in your system all at once. You said that on your bad day you took 1 pill every 3 hours. One pill COULD theoretically last 4-6 hours, so when you took another there is a good chance there was still some of the old one in your blood, and then you took another 3 hours later on top of THAT, so there was even MORE in your blood. So if you had been stable on 1-2 day, and then took 3 close together, you were getting a lot more medicine than your body was used to. See if you can analyze when you get sick and see if it is when you are taking more than you had been before getting sick. If so, try to space them out a little more, to 4, 5, or 6 hours - though I know that sucks when you're in pain. It might even be better to take 1.5 at a time, then wait 6 hours and take 1.5 again. This still keeps you at 3/day. Of course, talk to your doctor before doing this and get it approved by him/her. Those are just my thoughts on the issue. I hope you start feeling better soon! But ex is right too, your body *should* adjust and you'll stop feeling sick. But do pay attention to when it is you're feeling sick, and if you had done things differently that day then in the previous days. You might find a pattern and from there be able to change things slightly to reduce the sick feeling. Take care!

Executor 05-06-2009 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=ThreeBadDiscs;3976924]

It also could be that you just got too much medicine in your system all at once. You said that on your bad day you took 1 pill every 3 hours. One pill COULD theoretically last 4-6 hours, so when you took another there is a good chance there was still some of the old one in your blood, and then you took another 3 hours later on top of THAT, so there was even MORE in your blood. So if you had been stable on 1-2 day, and then took 3 close together, you were getting a lot more medicine than your body was used to. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely. If this did happen, then your BPL was probably very high....Great for fighting pain, but if you weren't used to it, nausea would be a reasonable side effect.

You have to also remember that when you increased from Perc 10s to Oxy IR 15, that's a 50% increase. Coupled with taking them more often, your BPL was probably twice, if not 3 x what it had been.

Hope you feel better.

Regards,

Ex

kim46 05-06-2009 06:04 PM

Thank you. I didn't get a chance to buy Dram. today. But I feel sick today as well. Ex, I just happened to read that BPL thread someone addressed to you and I think that means Blood Pressure Level?

To everyone who replied, thanks. I did realize I was getting a 50% bump - when it's cold and rainy, my days are a good deal worse. Last week it was nice and sunny and I'm trying to keep my intake down because I am nervous of going up and then not getting a script anymore as my doctor is quite old - some of you may remember. It's taken me a long time to find someone who believes in Chronic Myofascial Pain. I don't hoard any pills - I use them all before the script renews - I may have 4-6 left over. I guess you are all right - taking them every 3 hours was too much for my system so today, I took 1/2 when I woke up, 1 full pill 5 hours later, another full pill 5 hours after that and I got sick again.

Now I have an awful headache to go with the nausea. I'm obviously not taking them correctly. I'll try one in the am, one in the pm and if needed, another before bed. But, I feel absolutely lousy, sick. The back and muscle pain went away but then today, it's been a dull headache all day.

Also, I read once that the tylenol helps the medicine work better so I was thinking that I should take some anti-inflamatory with the Oxy IR? Do you think that would help with pain fighting versus this sick feeling I am experiencing?

I appreciate the feedback. My spelling is off because of the headache - please excuse this.
Thanks in advance.
Tara

kim46 05-06-2009 06:09 PM

Oh, I wanted to also mention that my script is "take 1 pill as needed 3 times daily". My doctor would not mind if I split them, took 1.5, took 4 in 1 day - whatever I need to get through the days as long as I don't run out early and of course, I can't get pain meds from any other doctor - I signed a handwritten contract agreeing that. I have a good relationship with the PM place - they're not as stringent as some of you have posted about. But, I learned my lesson a year or so back and learned that I must use 1 pharmacy, etc. from lurking here - there is so much helpful information here - it is appreciated.

Has Cmpgrrll been around? I often think about her because she also suffered from CMP if I recall correctly.
Tara.

kim46 05-06-2009 06:13 PM

Sorry Ex, the headache, I am getting generic Oxy IR and I was also taking generic Watson percocet prior. It was the "brand" that made my insurance company go crazy because of the expense so I agreed to take the generic only. My doctor said that was fine and I do realize there can be a 20% difference brand/generic, I'm just happy to have something!

TBD, that you for your feedback - I will pay closer attention. And that you for your good wishes too.
Tara.

Executor 05-06-2009 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=tarajb;3977483]

Ex, I just happened to read that BPL thread someone addressed to you and I think that means Blood Pressure Level?[/QUOTE]

BPL is "blood plasma level"....It's the amt of med in your blood....The higher the BPL, the higher the pain fighting. Also, some meds have longer "half lives" which means the med stays in your system longer.

[QUOTE]I guess you are all right - taking them every 3 hours was too much for my system so today, I took 1/2 when I woke up, 1 full pill 5 hours later, another full pill 5 hours after that and I got sick again.[/QUOTE]

Meds in pill form (IR version) will hit your system about 30-40 minutes after consumption....Longer if you take it on a full stomach. Peak plasma concentration is about 1.5 to 2 hours after consumption. So, at the 3 hour mark, your BPL is still quite high....When you take another pill, your BPL probably skyrockets 30-45 minutes later when it hits your system. If you research your med, you can find the BPL chart that shows the exact mechanism, by strength of the med. I can help you with this if needed....PM me.

It's also possible that the active ingredient, Oxycodone, may not be a good med for you....i.e your body may not react to it well. Give it a bit of time and you'll find out for sure. You may also experiencing some itching and a small rash....Two very common side effects. If you get any excess sedation, then back off a bit. Sedation is a warning sign of too much med. There is a difference between being tired / not feeling well, and sedation. Sedation is sleeping for excessive periods of time.

[QUOTE]Now I have an awful headache to go with the nausea. I'm obviously not taking them correctly. Also, I read once that the tylenol helps the medicine work better so I was thinking that I should take some anti-inflamatory with the Oxy IR? [/QUOTE]

Headache is the #1 side effect of pain meds and the most common side effect when one goes through a dose increase. Your body will adjust. I think the best thing you can do is take this med on a full stomach, or with food.

Yes, taking Tylenol or Motrin will boost the overall pain fighting level, and not your BPL. This is exactly why meds like Percs, Lortab, Lorcet, and etc, are packaged with Tylenol....Gives them more pain fighting punch without taking more narcotic.

Ironically, the Tylenol and / or Motrin would also help with the headache. It will have no effect on your BPL and will only help the situation.

I inquired about the brand vs generic because as you replied, there is the 20% issue and it could have been in play. It appears as if not due to the fact that both are generics.

Hope this helps and hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

tbreeze27 05-07-2009 03:22 PM

I had posted in the past what I believe to be the exact same nausea effect that happens to me. Some days are great, other days within 2 hours after taking my Oxycontin 20mg I get sick as a dog. Sometimes I vomit and get dizzy, accompanied by a pounding headache, cold sweats. This will last for a couple of hours. I have never found the cause of this though. It has nothing to do with liver or kidney problems, as mine are functioning great, and or if I have a full or empty stomach. I have tried everything to figure out why and when Im going to get this nausea reaction. My lasts months fill of Oxycontin, April, did this to me once per week. The prior month, March, it happened one time. This month, May, it hasn’t happened yet. For some odd reason, I think it has something to do with the making of the pill its self. I only take brand name. I question the quality and if some ingredient shifts a little in the batch or making of it, causing all my pills to be effected by this. I have had a complete month go by where I never got sick. My last fill, April, I noticed a ton of varying colors of pink. Some were lighter then others. Not by a lot. I guess, most people wouldn’t have noticed it. But being that I have been getting this nausea, I went on a quest to find the source. I know they have not been messed with and have come from a legit pharmacy. This same nausea has happened when I had to get my medication filled from a different pharmacy once, so I know they’ve not been tampered with. To be honest, I have no clue why this happens, but if you are experiencing what I am, I feel for you. Its crappy when your pain is taken care of, but then you get this sickness to deal with suddenly.

Tbreeze

kim46 05-08-2009 09:26 PM

Thanks Ex and Tbreeze, like you I cannot find a pattern. The nausea is not as intense - I took the pills as needed and averaged every 4 hours but was still sick the night after the headache, though today was better. It doesn't matter if I ate/didn't eat - in fact, it was more intense when I ate - but the headache is gone today - I just feel very tired.
Thank you. I would much prefer brand but my insurance balks at brand.
Tara

Executor 05-08-2009 10:23 PM

I've read recent research periodicals where they have found that taking Oxycodone with a fatty meal can increase the potency about 20%.

Taking the med right before or while eating can cause it to hit your system quicker. Try taking the med on a full stomach, or after you eat. It should help.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

patti678 05-09-2009 09:46 PM

Hi ;
I take MS Contin and MSIR. iT HAS ALWAYS CAUSED NAUSEA. i HAVE TO TAKE PHENEGRAN 25 mg or I will lose my lunch. If you keep getting nausea you might ask your doc for phengren or try some other pain med that does not bother your tummy. Beware as all pain meds cause constipation. I have to take lactulose syrup just to have bowel movements.
I hope this helps
Patti

kim46 05-10-2009 08:34 PM

Thanks again Ex - if I take a pill just after eating, I've was sick 3 times last week so I'll take it before I eat and see how that goes - the good thing is I'm eating a bit less fat/junk (still hungrier than pre-Oxy IR though) but that's good because my diet left a lot to be desired last year.

Thanks Patti - if I have a couple of more late evenings or nights like this, I may ask for a script from my regular doctor (who coordinates my pain medications with my other scripts and who is the doctor of record for my insurance company - I see only my regular doctor and my PM doctor when it comes to my back - hard lesson learned 2 years ago when my doctor of years dropped me though we (well I) always provided full disclosure - luckily his former partner took my call, listened to my saga, told me to sue him for patient abandonment and has been a real advocate for me/my condition(s) since last year - he'll have no problem prescribing and I'll update PM doctor - he prescribes only the Oxy IR and flexeril. Long-winded way of sharing a bit more info (that good doctors are out there) and to say that constipation has been much more of an issue than it was with Percocet 10/325 - I've been taking Senna almost every night/every other night and it has been helping.
If I don't take pain medication, I have to be in bed by 7:30 pm (when I am not working late) and sometimes have severe spams driving home from work. Things have improved with the managed care and the trigger shots I get monthly.
Thanks again.
Tara