It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• My surgery was cancelled/rescheduled :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User
    My surgery was cancelled/rescheduled :(

Hi to all you wonderful cp people out there,

First I have to say that your compassionate notes of encouragement got me through last night and the morning - I would check the PM board when I was really stressed and your words got me through without any sedatives. I am so lucky to have strong, empathic people like you in my life, people that I can talk openly to without worrying about anything. It means a lot to me.

My surgery was cancelled at 6pm this evening. The surgery before mine had major complications (poor person, her surgery was only supposed to take an hour!) and the surgeon was tired. To say that I was devastated is an understatement. Three (not very compassionate) nurses came in to tell me and I really didn't hear a word they said other than you have to come back another day when the surgeon has theatre time scheduled. They also gave me a $100 voucher to a local store. This was supposed to be a nice gesture, but to be honest, it felt like they were buying me off. I became very upset when the anaesthetist rang me and expained the situation and it turns out that it was because the hospital couldn't/wouldn't provide staff for night theatre - the anaesthetists words were that he and my neurosurgeon would have been more than happy to operate into the night as my neuro felt fine - he'd had a rest, I think, while the complications were being seen to (I'm assuming that they weren't neuro complications).

So, it all comes down to money and nurses only working certain hours. I do feel let down by the hospital (it is a very expensive private hospital) because they also stuffed up other things like my meds. I had to remind them of every dose (even non narcotics) and it worried me to think of what would happen when I wasn't well enough to remind me. I know it would all be ok as my anaesthetist is a stickler for stuff like that and has had run ins with them before about my meds and how they treat cp patients.

I am waiting for my neuro to call me and give me a new time - as my surgery will take 3 hours and I commented that I didn't want the stress of risking a second cancellation, they are finding a time to put me on the list as number one. The current reschedule date is 28 May but I want to know if I can have it done out of hours. One of the nurses that came to my room was the hospital nursing manager and she didn't like that idea at all - I suspect because of the added cost. She said that that is usually time reserved for emergencies. There are 6 operating suites though. My anaesthetist was awesome and said that he'd be happy to do it out of hours provided he and my neuro could work something out. He also said that if that's what the surgeon wants to do the hospital basically has to do it.

What a disaster of a day. It really shook me up. It was so stessful for me to even go to hospital again after my liver tumour. I have put this cervical fusion off for nearly 3 years now (hoping I'd never have to have it) but I've lost so much function in my left hand and it's putting a lot of pressure on my thoracic. I am so tired and shaky now...I think it must be a post adrenaline kind of thing.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough. You are true friends. I'll let you know when I have an update.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
    pmtest
    (female)

pmtest HB User
    Re: My surgery was cancelled/rescheduled :(

oh juliet, i am so sorry it sucks that you didnt have your surgery and the nurses should have been extra nice for that reason. thats what i dont understand about nurses, they are the ones that are suppose to be so compassionate and the majority of them i have came in contact with are not. why get into the field if you dont give a crap about people and their needs, it just blows my mind!!! whats a voucher going to do for you, it sure isnt going to take your pain away, thats all you want, not a shopping spree anyway keep us posted and hope you can get it done as soon as you can. take care

Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

That's just awful. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

If it were me, I'd insist on being # 1 surgery of the day, on whatever day they schedule you for...This way, you minimize your waiting and you know it's gonna get done. Also, you'll have less time to fast & etc.

Even making you wait till 6pm or so was bad. They try to schedule too many things in one day for "efficiency." I'll bet you a dollar that someone somewhere probably thought "yeah....We can probably get them all in on one day." Well, this isn't like lining up hair appointments, or changing oil....It's a surgical center where they should expect delays.

Again, I'm sorry.

Regards,

Ex

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Wow Juliet, I am really sorry. That is very upsetting. I also think being #1 of the day is probably the wisest option.

I'm a bit flabbergasted at the $100 too - kind of rude.
    After waiting over 3 years, I am sure you are bummed out but now you focus on the 28th and perhaps raise how to deal with the nursing staff (again) with your doctors.
    Best wishes,
    Tara

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Oh Juliet that's terrible and very emotioanlly draining. I went into the hospital unexpected on a Friday and I was set to have surgery on Monday. I was a wreck. Of course went through the whole NPO from midnight and then about 10am that morning they come in and tell me the doc forgot to put me on the schedule! I couldn't believe it, and then they couldn't do it until late the next afternoon so that meant another 3 days in the hospital. I was so upset. The only good thing was I could get some food!

Take care
    Melissa

Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Thank you! I'm feeling a bit better today though my pain is through the roof. To be expected I guess. I haven't heard from the surgeon today (he called last night and said he'd confirm a date today or tomorrow) but he had a full day of operating so I guess that's expected - he said he'd call tomorrow if he didn't today. I hope I don't have to wait until the 28 May but I guess that's not really that far away.

Thank you all for understanding, it makes me feel better

Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Juliet,

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It seems that it occurs more and more. Hopefully the doc will call and give you the date today.

Tigg.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I am so sorry Juliet, my goodness I probably would have been floored.
    I know how you were wanting this over with & I cant imagine all the planning that went into this of your part. You just have to tell yourself everything happens for a reason & perhaps you will stick out abit in the staffs minds because of this & get the best of care. I am thinking out loud here. sounds like the Anasth. felt pretty bad about this. I can understand that you dont know in advance the outcome of all surgerys & things like this can happen but you would think the nurses would be alittle more compassionate. Well you have all of us & we sure understand. God bless & hang in there. Sammy

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Well I am sorry you went through all this rescheduling, but I think it will work out for you. I always believe things happen for a reason so try to look at it not as a negative but for a reason. When I look back on my life I can always see why things went the way they did. On my second surgery me and the person before me were prepped and waiting on a Monday. Our surgeon came down with the flu, fainted in the hallway and couldn't perform our surgeries and we were sent home until that Friday. So I totally understand what you are going through. What I did was use the time to sleep and eat well and rest up.

Try to calm down so your pain doesn't keep rising.

This is a good chance to get the rest of the nicotine out of your body , and whatever you do don't pick those cigarettes up! Send PMs to feelbad and have her keep giving you advice for keeping off of them if you get tempted.

Best wishes - chat with you soon.

Last edited by PNo; 05-12-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Thank you all. NP, yes, you're right but considering that I exercise and eat well etc that one cigarette a day doesn't leave much nicotine in my bloodstream. Not that I should at all but it's limited as far as the effect and I'm not going to beat myself up about it at this point - there will be none of that after the surgery though. My anaesthetist knows it's a psychological thing and has made me promise not to even think about it for 2 years after my surgery. I totally agree that this has happened for a reason...we shall have to see

My surgeon rang last night and booked my surgery for tomorrow (Thursday). BUT then rang this morning to say the hospital stuffed up again and am now booked for sure on the 21 May. I'm first on his list for the day at 130pm. We have promises from the hospital that absolutely nothing goes wrong. I hope you're right, Sammy, and they're a little more compassionate when I'm there this time. All I asks is no more stuff ups or changes.

Thank you thank you thank you

Closed Thread