It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Ibuprofin dosage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
    Mr mail
    (male)

Mr mail HB User
    Ibuprofin dosage?

Ok, very quickly here is my situation. I have a kidney stone which I have had for some time. I am scheduled to see my urologist next week. In order to control my pain he prescribed me Vicadin and Ibuprofin 800 mg. Because of my job and the fact that I do not like the effects I do not really use the Vicadin, but have used the Ibuprofin sparingly and only as needed. Unfortunately I just ran out of Ibuprofin and the bugger started really killing me today. I called my urologist to see if he would prescribe a few pills until I get in to see him next week, but he is on vacation until Tuesday. The nurse told me to just go ahead and take 4 200 mg tablets of Ibuprofin.

Now, I am no math major, but I know 4 x 200 = 800, so theoretically it is the same thing. However it just seems to easy, and I am pretty skeptical of things that appear too good to be true. It just seems to me there has to be some difference between an 800 mg prescription tablet and 4 200 mg OTC tablets.

I dont want to do anything to harm my body, so wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts/experience on this. Anyone who has had a kidney stone knows my pain, but I have a lot of things I need to do at work, so cannot really afford to go to the ER right now.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: Ibuprofin dosage?

I was told to do the same with advil(or generic). Please be careful and try and get to your doc or ER soon. If the stone is too big to pass, you could damage your kidney. Usually when I have stones which is basically all the time,(have one now too big to pass but it's not causing me too much trouble yet!), I usually take toradol which is an anti-inflammatory. You do need a prescription and you can only take it consecutively for a week because it can hurt your stomach and kidneys, but it really helps with kidney stone pain. The ibuprofin did not help me.

Melissa

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Ibuprofin dosage?

Yes it is the exact same thing. I was taking over the counter Ibuprophen for over a year at 12/day which was 2400mg. The daily maximum is 3200mg or 16 pills of 200mg each for a healthy individual with no liver or kidney problems(not kidney stones but kidney function). If taking 800mg at a time causes stomach upset, you can try cutting it down to 600mg every 4 to 6 hours. Just make sure you don't go over 3200mg = 16 (200mg) OTC ibuprofen

brian
    p.s. You can also take Tylenol along with the ibuprofen since they act on different areas. At one time I was taking 4 iburprofen and then 4 hours later 2 Tylenol, then 4 hours later 4 ibuprofen etc. Keep the daily intake of Tylenol to less than 4000mg/day

p.s.s I forgot to mention that those Maximum dosages per day should be for short term use less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by brianpain33; 05-13-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread