It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• What can I take leg pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User
    What can I take leg pain?

I fell back in Dec, hurt my back which went to groin & right leg. The one thats lasting & the worse if my leg. Went to neuro & he sd it's ligament damage & could take a yr if it does heal. Sometimes it's so bad, another Dr gave me hydroco/ibu but I'd rather not take it alot. Is there anything else anyone ever used for pain? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
    Re: What can I take leg pain?

Hi! and welcome.

You could try an OTC anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen, or Naproxen. They can cause stomach upset or other stomach problems, but unless you have stomach problems to start with the stomach upset can usually be controlled by eating something right before you take them. Tylenol is also a possibility, but be sure to NOT exceed the dosage on the bottle, too much tylenol can cause permanant liver damage.

There are also a couple of prescription anti-inflammatories that aren't as hard on your stomach - Mobic and Celebrex. There is a generic for Mobic that's pretty inexpensive, but Celebrex does not have a generic and is fairly expensive.

You might want to go see your primary care Dr. If you haven't had any physical therapy that might help, and you can see what other options they can suggest.

Tigg.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks for advice, I bought 12hr aleve today & took one, I think it helped abit we'll see.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Gram4,

Check with your Dr. before doing this, but two OTC Aleve, are the same strength as an ordinary prescription dose. An orthopedist had me do that once, since the OTC cost less than my co-pay for generics prescription at the time. In particular with pain from injuries, it seems that getting the inflamation down can reduce the pain.

Heat, ice, or alternating heat and ice, may help too. I've never had an injury to ligaments so I'm not sure what is recommended for that. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Good Luck,

Tigg

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

They told me Ibuprofen so I had a script at home already my husband used for 800mg & took it & it did nothing. The aleve seemed to work better, I figured it would be ok since they sd OTC tylenol or whatever. I only take 1 as it says every 12 hrs.

Closed Thread