It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Excessive Sweating!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
    New To CP
    (female)

New To CP HB User
    Angry Excessive Sweating!!!

Hi all, I've searched through a lot of old posts and seen where some of you end up with the chills and sweating, but I wanted to know if any of you get exteremly sweaty without chills.

I recently added Fentanyl to my pain mgt routine and my doctor told me that all opiods can lead to excessive sweating when active. (I did notice that with the Norco in the past), but my question is more about night time? Not every night, but several in the last few weeks I have woken up soaked! My hair is wet, my sheets are beyond damp and it's just gross. Then I either have to change my sheets to go back to sleep, put another blanket or something down or deal with the chill that I get from laying on wet sheets.

Does anyone know where this comes from? Is it an 'untold' symptom of FMS or CFS??? Is there anyone out there that has this and isn't on narcotic pain meds? Those of you on narcotics, does this happen to you and is there anything to do about it?? So frustrated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Excessive Sweating!!!

Sorry but Yes the Fentanyl patch can cause profuse sweating. My husband has been on pain patches and oral narcotics for a couple years now and he often wakes up at night drenched and needs to change his t shirt. And during the day he describes 'heat waves' and also actual sweating when just sitting. It is the same words that a female would use to describe menopause symptoms...which increase with activity along with a most annoying runny nose. The only way to stop it is to stop the narcotic but that isn't always possible so it is just an uncomfortable side effect. It is nice that your doctor at least told you what to expect were as we had to figure it out for ourselves. Be sure to increase your fluid intake to accomodate for the sweating.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

May I ask how old you are? Do you think that the Fentanyl could be jump starting night sweats? Your night sweats sound like what I went through during menopause, which is why I asked how old you are. Sorry if you aren't old enough...but it was a thought.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

i have much excessive sweating to outdoor heat. i mean running down my face sweating. i feel meds play a big part to this also. Humidity makes me so sick !!

i sleep with the air conditioner on so i'm not having the night time sweating.

BeHappy2

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Didn't I mention that to you in one of the other threads. Yeah it is definitely the fentanyl patch. I get this quite often and can be sweating just sitting at my desk in the air conditioning somtimes, especially my lower back. I woke up this morning and my t-shirt that I wore to bed was soaked. It does not always happen with the night time sweats. My ex-gf complained about it sometimes because I sweat on her. It does get better at times but since it has gotten warm here where I am living it is worse. You have to weigh the side effect with the pain relief. It is not guaranteed that another long acting narcotic medication would do this but more than likely it will. sorry there is not better news to give you. It would be nice to shut off the sweat glands sometimes. That is another reason that I told you to increase your fluid intake because of this.

brian

Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
    ThreeBadDiscs
    (female)

ThreeBadDiscs HB User

Yes, I have the same thing. Used to happen at night all the time (drenching t-shirts, etc.) and nowadays it's happening more and more during the day. I carry a hand fan with me at all times and am constantly fanning my face because it's sweating. You're right - it is downright embarrassing and no, I haven't figured out anything that can be done about it. If anyone has, I'm all ears. I used to hate winter and love summer, now I'm feeling the opposite and DREADING the hot, humid summer. It really sucks. So it's kinda like a catch-22.... the opioids allow me to lead a more active life, but with them I intentially become less active so that I'm not constantly drenched in sweat. Hmmm, that sucks

Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #7
    New To CP
    (female)

New To CP HB User

Hi all, I am 26 and so no, I don't think that it is related to menopause or even hormones. Due to my ethnicity (half Moroccan) I have always been a heavy sweater during activity but this is ridiculous!!!! I had noticed a little bit of night time when taking Norco before, but since starting the Fentanyl, it's so much worse. I actually woke up this morning b/c I was drenched in sweat, actually my sheets. I generally sleep in my 'birthday suit', so my sheets actually get the brunt of it. That's when I decided to create this post... I had to put a fan on my bed to dry them out, so that I could go back to sleep. It's not so bad when I'm at home by myself, but when I'm out in public especially here where it is REALLY hot (Texas 90 degrees plus) it gets totally embarassing. I can just walk from my car into a store and my clothes are sticking to me and sweat is running down my face. My boyfriend teases me about getting 'hot and heavy'.... I can easily get hot n heavy with my books at night when I read in bed. I get out of the shower and I start sweating. I walk out to my car and I start sweating. I just vacum the floor and I start sweating. It's crazy. Well if anything can come up with a solution for this drug induced hyperhydrosis, I would love to hear about it. As far as weighing the options againts the benefit... There is no question here at all. My quality of life has impoved 100 fold since starting the Fenanyl, so I guess I'll just have to cope with the sweat. Thanks for all of your responses!

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
    ThreeBadDiscs
    (female)

ThreeBadDiscs HB User

Your descriptions ring so true. Get out of shower - sweat (I've started taking cold showers and this helps somewhat); walk from car to store, face is dripping; clean house/vacuum (which I did last night - t-shirt drenched and face dripping; etc., etc., etc. It's so annoying, but you're right, for me the benefit definitely outweighs the sweating. But that doesn't mean it's not annoying and embarrasing!!! Take care and keep cool as best you can

Liz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by New To CP View Post
    Hi all, I am 26 and so no, I don't think that it is related to menopause or even hormones. Due to my ethnicity (half Moroccan) I have always been a heavy sweater during activity but this is ridiculous!!!! I had noticed a little bit of night time when taking Norco before, but since starting the Fentanyl, it's so much worse. I actually woke up this morning b/c I was drenched in sweat, actually my sheets. I generally sleep in my 'birthday suit', so my sheets actually get the brunt of it. That's when I decided to create this post... I had to put a fan on my bed to dry them out, so that I could go back to sleep. It's not so bad when I'm at home by myself, but when I'm out in public especially here where it is REALLY hot (Texas 90 degrees plus) it gets totally embarassing. I can just walk from my car into a store and my clothes are sticking to me and sweat is running down my face. My boyfriend teases me about getting 'hot and heavy'.... I can easily get hot n heavy with my books at night when I read in bed. I get out of the shower and I start sweating. I walk out to my car and I start sweating. I just vacum the floor and I start sweating. It's crazy. Well if anything can come up with a solution for this drug induced hyperhydrosis, I would love to hear about it. As far as weighing the options againts the benefit... There is no question here at all. My quality of life has impoved 100 fold since starting the Fenanyl, so I guess I'll just have to cope with the sweat. Thanks for all of your responses!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
    New To CP
    (female)

New To CP HB User

Hey 3BadDiscs, I am SO glad that I am not the only person (female too) that has this problem. Not to say that I wish this problem on your or anyone else but it's just nice to know that I'm not some super freak of nature. Just today, I was running errands, had the AC on cold and by the time I'd get into a store, my face would just be dripping and I had to carry paper towels around with me everywhere. Blah! Anyhow, thanks for the respond and hope you are pain free!!!

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Closed Thread