It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Surprise call from PM

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User
    Surprise call from PM

My regular PM at the practice is GONE and the office called to say they lost all of her scheduled appointments and the NEW Doc I will be seeing wants me to come in tomorrow with my meds etc.. I am not scheduled to go back for monthly meds check on the 30th of June ( week later than normal ) and I have a script profiled for pick up on June 24th for the last week of meds until June 30th . I am SO UPSET. I am going to miss my PM doctor. I don't have a problem bringing in my meds or anything else but has ANYONE had to change PM Docs suddenly and how did it go? This Doc and I had a good rapport and she considered me a model patient ( never had problem with UA, early fills. lost or stolen meds etc). How do I develop a relationship with a new doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
    backhurtz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
    Re: Surprise call from PM

Slowly, and mostly the same way that you did with the other one. I've had to change my PM twice due to them leaving to either go back to their own practices , or to moving . (One filled in as a replacement while the first one moved.) At first it was the same kind of awkward meeting that you have with a new doctor, but soon enough, there was a new, albeit, different relationship with the new doctors.
    I don't necessarily like having to change doctors, but at the same time, when we aren't given the choice, it doesn't always turn out badly. I like my latest PM doctor, he's been there for about a year now, and he is just as good as my first one that I adored
    Back

Old 06-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
    Slowly, and mostly the same way that you did with the other one.
    Yes, it will take some time, and is nerve racking. We all build up trust and camaraderie with our PM Docs and depend so much on our meds....It's perfectly understandable that one would be nervous and upset.

When Docs suddenly leave, it usually due to them going to a competitor, or opening up their own practice. This is why they act so strange about the Doc who just left....Uncomfortable for all. Very strange that they "lost" all the appointments and etc. The conspiracy theory in me says that maybe the Doc canceled them or took certain information with him....Competition for patients type of thing. I'm sure the new Doc just wants to get reacquainted asap with patients, go over the regimen and etc....Rather than wait to the last minute when refills are due.

Given that you are simply moving to a different Doc within the same practice, it's very likely that the new Doc will leave you on the same regimen. The number one rule in PM is that if something is working, don't change it.

Best of luck to you at your appointment...I'm sure it will go well.

Regards,

Ex

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User

It was actually a nurse practioner and she left on a good note liscense with practice expired. New lady was nice... foreign as well and hard to understand but nice. Did my UA, fine,,, went over my meds. fine.. she post dated a script TO THE DAY from when my fill in from last Doc had written should run out. Sometimes my appointments may be a day or two early or later depending on time of month and if a day or two early, I go on to pharmacy and fill meds same day. Not the case with this new Doc ( also nurse practicioner )... She wants me to bring my meds next visit as well so I guess it will be monthly pill counts unless she says otherwise. I NEVER had to have pills counted but at first always brought meds as I thought I was supposed to. I don't antipicate a problem just getting used to grabbing meds out of safe before I go each month

Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katlovesdogs View Post
    She wants me to bring my meds next visit as well so I guess it will be monthly pill counts unless she says otherwise. I NEVER had to have pills counted but at first always brought meds as I thought I was supposed to. I don't antipicate a problem just getting used to grabbing meds out of safe before I go each month
    Unfortunately, this is where PM is headed. I'm hearing more and more of these type of policies at PM offices. Maybe once the new PA gets to know you better, she'll relax this requirement. I would be afraid I'd lose the bottle or something, carrying it around to the appointment and back. If it were me, I'd implement some type of safeguard.

Also, word may get around that patients have to bring in their meds each month and thus, when they leave, they could be targets. You may even bring this up if you feel comfortable at some point. I would. This is probably a more important issue for women than men, for the obvious reason(s).

Thanks for sharing and take care,

Ex

Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Hey kat,

Ex mentioned something about pill counts that jogged my memory - in Aus we don't have drug testing or pill counts unless you have made a mistake or are on an addiction plan. I asked my dr why we didn't do pill counts and that it may actually help patients build trust with new drs - he said that it's not safe to have patients carrying around their medications and he certainly wouldn't like to be responsible for someone being injured because they were bringing their pills in. Our tablets aren't in bottles usually - OC comes in a relatively large box with controlled substance and warnings printed on it and it's fairly recognisable. My gp thinks it's dangerous enough that pharmacies often don't put meds in a bag before putting them on the counter (the pharmacist says that this is so the patient can see that they're getting the right medication). I have a good relationship with my pharmacist and he puts my meds in a paper bag before bringing them to the counter, I always go to the same pharmacy (and I live in a small place where everyone knows everybody) so I don't want people to see my meds.

I understand you have to take your pills, it might just be a good idea to put them in a thick paper bag as well in case your bag falls open accidently while you're on your way to or from your appointment. It isn't fair but we have to be so careful these days!

I hope your new doc is ok.

Closed Thread