It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Trying to Live with Piriformis Sydrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
    Avenue Q
    (female)

Avenue Q HB User
    Trying to Live with Piriformis Sydrome

Angelene, I can understand all to well that you feel like a unhappy camper. Been there done that for ten long years straight. Having a piriformis problem back in the early nineties, doctor's only seemed to recognize such symptoms as sciatic pain. Like yourself I diagnosed myself because of what I read. Doctor's never looked outside the box in my circumstances. I also felt because it was a chiropractic adjustment that caused my 'formis' to become inflamed.

I can only tell you what worked for me. After trying several alterative to rid of this unrelenting buttocks leg pain. And yes my pain ran down the side of my leg along the side of my foot. What method I had to finally resort to was cortisteriod injections (after 10 years). Yes, and zip!! the pain subsided slowly day by day. The finally results I am still pain free now for eleven and a half yrs. this past April.

Your right piriformis syndrome is most usually classified as a runner's problem. Present day they fine it can be caused by 'repetitive motion'. For me that seemed very plausible with how the chiropractor was adjusting me for several weeks on end. I only weighed 115 pounds and was treated like the football team he last was hided to maintain here at Giant Stadium NJ. .

This information might be helpful knowing the position of the piriformis/sciatic nerve.

The piriformis muscle crosses over the sciatic nerve and when it goes into a spasm it tightens and puts pressure on the nerve. (food for thought).

As far as stretching went for me it was the wrong thing to do. The more any method was attempted to the buttock pain the worst only became worse. I wasn't going to be a quitter...I needed to see pass the pain hoping something positive would happen.

One thing you mentioned was that you had stopped runner for two weeks and felt somewhat better. To me that sounds it may be something other then the 'formis'. Piriformis pain for me was relentless pain. I hope like every one that posted with their incite, I hope I helped a bit.

Angeline...I said enough... bottom line. I live only townships away from Edison. So I can tell you there is a doctor in Marlboro, NJ. His practices is Sports Medicine and deals with the piriformis. As a matter of fact he has the X-ray technology to view the piriformis specially. Call for yourself and ask any questions. Calling him just may save you a lot of unnecessary searching. You have nothing to lose..... hopeful only to grain.
    Doctors Name is Brian Helpern, 475 County Road, 520 Maralboro New Jersey. I don't no if this is permitted but what can they do delete it.
    Please let us know how you do..I apologize for the length of my post.

Aven...Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread