It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• FDA votes Vicodin, Percocet off market

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
    ABlueMenace
    (male)

ABlueMenace HB User
    Angry FDA votes Vicodin, Percocet off market

This is from CNN Health.

It is a HUGE story as it is timed with Michael Jackson's Drug related death, and meant to "conveniently" shield the true purpose of the FDA. They believe Hydrocodone and Oxycodone are too addictive and want it disrupted, then removed. They shield their true motive under the guise of it being related to too much Tylenol, and liver damage !! Can you believe this crap ?
    What a bunch of bunk. Of course Tylenol will go on selling bottles of 500 mg buy the 500 count at Costco !

They cite less than 500 liver damage deaths annually, related to the acetaminophen in these drugs. What about the addicts who overdose on Percocet or Vicodin due to their addiction to the opiates? That is who they are after and want curtailed access. Watch for a run on other meds like Morphine etc. which are safe and free from Tylenol

Watch out. If this occurs there will absolutely be a panic stricken run on these pills and they will become extinct. It then will be years before approval of Percocet with without acetaminophen, or a lowered amount, followed by lowered availability, followed by more addicts due to the new formulation. That will pave the way for their removal entirely.

Its a classic Smokescreen, Slippery slope, and Strawman ploy, all while its July 4th and we all are preoccupied to pay any attention.

Mark my words everyone - their goal is not in the liver/Tylenol, but rather a tighter grip on these opiates. Let the hoarding begin !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User
    Re: FDA votes Vicodin, Percocet off market

I have to agree. I too thought about hoarding and at the very least taking 1 less pain med a day just in case I have to extend my prescription and perhaps wean off of it.

Tara

Last edited by kim46; 07-02-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #3
    Lovemydegus
    (female)

Lovemydegus HB User

There is oxycodone withOUT the APAP, I use to get them all the time. But they only seem to come in 5mg (except for the 15mg and 30mg roxicodones). And I'm glad they're trying to remove the hydroconde meds, those are terrible meds. They always make me so sick I end up in the ER vomiting for 12 hours straight and severe pain in my upper stomach. I hardly ever took hydro, but the very few times I did, my liver enzymes where always out of whack, so I stay as far away as possible from tylenol, even the plain tylenol. And drug abusers know how to remove the tylenol from vicodin and percocet type meds, so making hydrocodone without anything else in it would only make the abusers happy and we will be hearing of alot more ODs and theifs and all that kind of stuff. I really wish these drug makers would work on non narcotic meds rather then making opiate type meds. I even heard they are working on this med that they get from some reptile/frog type animal that is suppose to kill pain very well, more then any other pain med on the market and is non addictive, that they hope will wipe narcotics off the market, but they're thinking their's another 10 years or so of testings before anything. That to me is exciting news!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
    jdsun
    (female)

jdsun HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lovemydegus View Post
    And I'm glad they're trying to remove the hydroconde meds, those are terrible meds.
    It may be a terrible med to you, but so far in my 4 year pain journey, hydrocodone is the ONLY drug that has given me relief. I have taken this drug on/off for 4 years.....and daily for over 18 months and again, it is the only thing so far to help me. I've never gotten sick and have NO side effects from this drug. I even told my husband a while ago how fortunate I was to find something to give me a little relief while experiencing no negative side effects.

So, I for one am VERY nervous and upset to hear this news.

Is this a done deal? If so, when will it take effect? God....being a chronic pain patient sucks more than anything in the world and now to hear that a medicine that gives you some quality of life is going to be taken away. I need to go lie down.........and PRAY that my Avinza that I just started yesterday will help my pain (or are they taking that away too).

jdsun

Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Quote:
    There is oxycodone withOUT the APAP, I use to get them all the time. But they only seem to come in 5mg (except for the 15mg and 30mg roxicodones). And I'm glad they're trying to remove the hydroconde meds, those are terrible meds. They always make me so sick I end up in the ER vomiting for 12 hours straight and severe pain in my upper stomach. I hardly ever took hydro, but the very few times I did, my liver enzymes where always out of whack, so I stay as far away as possible from tylenol, even the plain tylenol. And drug abusers know how to remove the tylenol from vicodin and percocet type meds, so making hydrocodone without anything else in it would only make the abusers happy and we will be hearing of alot more ODs and theifs and all that kind of stuff. I really wish these drug makers would work on non narcotic meds rather then making opiate type meds. I even heard they are working on this med that they get from some reptile/frog type animal that is suppose to kill pain very well, more then any other pain med on the market and is non addictive, that they hope will wipe narcotics off the market, but they're thinking their's another 10 years or so of testings before anything. That to me is exciting news!!!

If hydrocodone makes you ill, don't take it. Just because it doesn't work for YOU personally does not make it a bad medication. I cannot take ANY NSAID - I am very allergic and taking even a small amount could kill me. That doesn't mean I think they should be pulled of the market and that other people who aren't violently allergic shouldn't be able to take them. Hydrocone is a medication used quite effectively by millions of people, either for post surgical pain, after an injury, or as part of long term pain management. Not allowing this medication to remain on the market as well as percocet will cause millions to suffer needlessly because many doctors will not prescribe anything stronger.

Tigg.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
    lemonflavor
    (male)

lemonflavor HB User

The FDA did NOT approve to take them off the market.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

I agree - the panel has recommended a ban on Percocet and Vicodin which was voted on and I believe about 20-13 to ban them..........(there is more info on the other thread on this matter which I started 6/30/09.

Jdsun - hang in there. I seriously don't think that they will ban these meds without a backup plan in place. That would be a violation of everyone's rights, those having dental work to those having heart surgery and need paid meds post-op. I would be really shocked if they outright knee jerk bank Percocet and Vicodin.

I hope the Avinza titrates quickly for you - I read your post about the switch. Good luck.
    Tara

Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #8
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    And I'm glad they're trying to remove the hydroconde meds, those are terrible meds.

I really wish these drug makers would work on non narcotic meds rather then making opiate type meds.
    I don't believe that any of the hydrocodone products should be taken off the market. I take Vicodin EVERY DAY and have my liver function tested every 6 months and there has been no ill effects. As long as you keep your daily intake of acetaminophen under 3000mg/day then you should be safe unless you already have a damaged liver or drink alcohol.

The opiate type meds are the best medications for pain that we currently have. They are similar to the endorphins that the body makes that combats pain. The non-narcotic medications usually end up having more side effects than the narcotic medications. I would much rather be on the fentanyl patch and Vicodin than Ultram which was horrible for me and extremely terrible to withdraw from. Just my opinion

brian

P.S. Try going through any surgery without taking a narcotic type medication afterward and see how the pain is. I'm sure you would be on the phone with your doctor ASAP.

Last edited by brianpain33; 07-02-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
    NOTSONUTSO
    (female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

I have taken percocet over 9 years. It is NOT a terrible drug.

I talked to my pharmacist & he told me not to worry about it being taken off the market. Even if something like that were actually put into effect, it would be YEARS (due to red tape, appeals, etc.). The poster who stated that FDA did NOT approve the removal of vicodin & percocet is absolutely correct. It was a recommendation by an FDA panel (or something along that line) My pharmacist said that there are many elderly people who are not aware of the risks of these drugs. Doctors should be sure to inform their patients & always know ALL the drugs they are on!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I just read an article and can you believe the President of the American Pain Foundation Dr. Scott Fishman said:

"It really makes sense to do what the panel is suggesting. "The key is that the public needs to understand that they [the FDA] are not voting to ban the drugs [contained in the pill: the opiate and acetaminophen]. The drugs are fine. It's the combination of the drugs in one pill. Each drug has its own problems but, used separately, can be used safely."

Hmmm used separately. How exactly can you do that with hydrocodone when it doesn't come in hydrocodone ONLY. I can't believe that a noted doctor, and anesthesiologist would say this. Maybe he should ask the opinion of his patients first before sugesting this to the FDA panel.

Let's hope that the FDA doesn't just yank Percocet and Vicodin from the market although I am thinking that they eventually will. It will probably take years to do but it probably will happen. I think that a hydrocodone pill will have to come out first and hopefully a long acting version too.

brian

Old 07-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

"It may be a terrible med to you, but so far in my 4 year pain journey, hydrocodone is the ONLY drug that has given me relief. I have taken this drug on/off for 4 years.....and daily for over 18 months and again, it is the only thing so far to help me."

Same here. Four years of trying other drugs and always going back to Hydro. This sucks.

emmie

Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #12
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianpain33 View Post
    I just read an article and can you believe the President of the American Pain Foundation Dr. Scott Fishman said:

"It really makes sense to do what the panel is suggesting. "The key is that the public needs to understand that they [the FDA] are not voting to ban the drugs [contained in the pill: the opiate and acetaminophen]. The drugs are fine. It's the combination of the drugs in one pill. Each drug has its own problems but, used separately, can be used safely."
    I think the logical question many have is: why is this now an issue? These meds have been on the market for decades. I just don't understand why the medical community didn't know this before now.

Quote:
    Let's hope that the FDA doesn't just yank Percocet and Vicodin from the market although I am thinking that they eventually will. It will probably take years to do but it probably will happen. I think that a hydrocodone pill will have to come out first and hopefully a long acting version too.
    As I posted previously, if a decision is made to remove the meds, I hope they have a good, well thought out transition plan. These meds are very highly prescribed in terms of qty....They are the mainstays of acute pain mgt. I read recently an article that outlined the top 10 meds prescribed annually in the U.S., and I can't remember exactly, but a couple combination pain meds (like Lortab) were in the top 5 or 6. Thus, these are very high volume movers. The lack of a good transition plan could result in very serious market shortages.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread