It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Constipation Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
    Angry Constipation Help!

I'm currently taking Avinza 120mg every 4-6 hours 1 capsule. I also take Roxy 30mg in between for the bad days. I donít take the 30mg oxy's everyday. maybe 6 times a week.

Iím experiencing pretty bad constipation. My stools are large and lumpy and very hard. (I know gross - sorry for the details)

When I do go to the bathroom, I usually have to work pretty hard and when Iím done I feel like there is still a lot that needs to come out. I do usually go once a day as well.

Every couple of weeks Iíll drink a Magnesium Citrate bottle and that will usually clean me out. It works great and it's not a stimulant, the only problem is that it makes me feel nauseated and sometimes I'll actually get the runs for a couple of days.

I do take lots of fiber I think. Probably at least 20 - 25 grams. Eat fiber bars from Kelloggís, add them to my Jamb juice as well as eating apples and veggies.

I've recently started exercising which I do at least 3 - 4 times a week. Been doing so for the last 5 months. I actually exercise pretty hard, weights and cardio. And while that did helped in the beginning it seems that it's not helping as much as it used.

Does anybody here have any recommendations? Is there any medical concerns I should have about being constipated all the time. I don't think Iím at fecal impaction point yet. Like I said Ií am going but its tough.

My diet does include greens (Maybe I could do more I guess)? Should I be taking more fiber than what I am currently taking (20 grams a day)? I already experience a lot of gas from the fiber I do take? Does anybody here take larger amounts like 40 or 50 grams a day and are there any risks to taking so much fiber?

What if I drank more of the Magnesium Citrate (like 2 times a week), Are there any risks to drinking too much magnesium citrate?

P.S.: Also I have been recently drinking lot of skim milk every day. (like 8 glasses a day sometimes). Could lot of skim milk be adding to my constipation?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Constipation Help!

Taking the Magnesium Citrate on a continual basis is NOT a good idea. It is best to treat your constipation on a DAILY basis. If you are still contipated with all of the fiber intake and you are drinking PLENTY OF WATER then I would definitely recommend Miralax.. I tried to get by with taking stool softeners for awhile and then once I started on the fentanyl patch I was having alot of problems with constipation. My doctor told me to start on Miralax and take it every day. It only makes sense that if you take pain meds every day then you need to take something for the constipation every day. I can't believe doctors don't emphasize this problem/side effect of the narcotic medications. The higher the potency/strength then the greater the constipation effect.

I get my Miralax from Walmart ($20 for a 30 day supply bottle). It is the cheapest that I have found. Please don't get it from a drug store because they are a ripoff and charge $30 for a 30 day supply bottle. You might have to take 2 doses every day in the beginning to get things moving but please get on it right away and you will feel much better.

brian

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Brian,

Thank You!

Is Miralax a capsule or drink mix of some sort? And I'm assuming its fiber?

Now that you take it everyday do you feel like your going like you should be?

DO you think the SKim milk is contributing in anyway? (Negatively)

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    Brian,
    Is Miralax a capsule or drink mix of some sort? And I'm assuming its fiber?

Now that you take it everyday do you feel like your going like you should be?
    Miralax is a powder that you mix in water or any other drink including tea, coffee, etc. It is nearly tasteless and you mix it in at least 8 ounces of water. I always wait until I take my night meds and mix it up and drink it when I taken my night meds. It helps to take it at the same time every day so you don't forget to take it. If you forget it will through your system off.

It is not fiber at all but it is not a stimulant either. It is safe to take every day because it is not a stimulant laxative. It should not make you cramp up either like the laxatives do. You might get a little cramping/gas in the beginning since you are so constipated but after a few days that should subside. Good luck with it.

brian

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Leo123...
    Hi, i'm sorry that you're experiencing problems going potty. (Constipation).
    But i'm going to have to agree with brianpain33's advice to you in that you should try the Miralax. Miralax works great for getting you regular again! I was so constipated due to taking my pain meds (Percocet 10/325) 4x per day for Plantar Faciitis/heel spurs. Miralax has worked great for me & my friend also uses it everyday with good results. Like brainpain33 has stated just go to your local Walmart & pick up a bottle & give it a shot! I really think that you'll be happy you did! Miralax also comes in a smaller bottle as well if you don't want to buy the biggest bottle. You can buy the 7 day supply. You just pour out a capfull into whatever beverage you like, except it does say on the bottle to not use any carbonated drinks such as soda pop, mix it into your drink of choice & down the hatch! Don't worry, you can't taste it cuz its tasteless! Its very easy to drink. I never experienced any cramping or bloating either from using it. You used to only be able to get this stuff through a prescription but thats changed! Just to help you look for it, it comes in a white plastic bottle with a really pretty lol pink/fushia cap, & the cap is actually what you measure your dosage into, just one cap full per day. The label on the bottle is purple & white & it says "MiraLAX" on it. You can't miss that pretty pink/fushia cap lol. When i took it the very first time i took it right before i went to bed & when i got up the next morning i had to go potty. I've been taking it eversince. Funny, or maybe even a bit sad lol when one gets happy over being able to poop lol but for those of us whom have suffered from constipation knows i aint lying lol. So get you some & let us know how it worked for you. Keep us posted & take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angelique43 For This Useful Post:
    stefannsgirl (06-26-2012)
    Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Leo: I swear by Activia yogurt. I didn't want to take any medications for this problem, so I thought what the heck and I tried it. Keep with it because it does take about 2 weeks for it to start working. I usually eat it every day now. I sometimes stop because I forget to get it at the store, but I always end up "going back on" it. I had my husband bring it to me at the hospital recently because I knew I would be loaded up with pain meds, and it kept me mostly regular. I don't ever need anything else. They have traditional yogurt cups, but they now also have little yogurt drinks. I'm a snacker, so I usually have this for my evening snack.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Leo,

The Miralax is a good product, and safe to take on a longer term basis, but you do have to take it EVERY day. I tried the activia and it worked too. The major issue I had with it is that the small grocery store near our house doesn't carry the low fat version and sometimes doesn't have it at all, it's about a 20 minute drive one way to a store that does have it. Since I can buy the Miralax in bulk it's easier for me. If you need something extra and like dried fruit, dried apricots work well for me. Fresh cherries, plums, nectarines, and peaches are pretty good too. I have to be careful with those in the summer or I end up with an entirely different problem.

Tigg.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Thank you everyone for your great advice.

I actually had a pretty good bathroom experience yesterday.

in the last say day and half I ate about 4 kellogs fiber bars (They taste so good, only 4 grams of fat, but lots of extra carbs) anyways not a few hours after I posted this thread i got the urge to go and boy did I. And without to much effort.

So it could be the my fiber intake was still a little too low, I;m going to try uping my fiber intake to 40 grams a day.

Last couple of questions I'd like to ask you guys is:
    1. Will eating that much fiber everyday have any kind of negative effect, other than my desired effect of course?

2. Does anybody think drinking large amounts of skim milk might be additionally constipating me?

Thanks AGain!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    1. Will eating that much fiber everyday have any kind of negative effect, other than my desired effect of course?
    Eating lots of fiber is actually very good for you....Is the main preventer of colon cancer. Gets things moving and prevents toxins from building up in your bowels.

I know a lot of people recommend Mirlax, but for me, Metamucil is the best. It's 100% pure husk fiber and is all natural. I put two heaping tablespoons in a glass of water at night after dinner and it pushes everything through. I've read some alarming things about Mirlax, so I won't use it.

It takes a bit for your body to get used to the increased fiber / Metamucil. I have 2 very natural movements per day, and I'm on a lot of pain meds. Before Metamucil, I was in bad shape.

A little dose change up or down can have dramatic effects, so you many need to experiment a bit with what's the right amt for you. If you get too much gas or bloating, then back off a bit.

Quote:
    2. Does anybody think drinking large amounts of skim milk might be additionally constipating me?
    Dairy products can have a constipation effect, but to be honest, I think your main problem is the meds. Narcotics really slow down the digestive process, and can bring things to a grinding halt.

Stay away from fiber pills...They don't work very well. The sugar free Metamuicl Orange flavor works well....It tastes like a cross between OJ and gatorade. Drink it quick because it will bulk up fast.

I think you'll find it to work like a charm. Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 07-10-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Thanks Ex,

Sounds like some great advice as well. yes I read some of that stuff about Miralax you were metioning and it scared me a little. But if adding fiber does not work I'm definitley going to give it a try.

How much Fiber does the Metemucil provide? How much fiber do you yourself take per day?

Cause I was looking at most fiber supplement pills or drink mixes and they usually have only like a few grams of fiber and the bottle usally recomend one to two doses per day which would only add like 6 - 8 grams of fiber which is not much. So should I just forget what the bottle says and take maybe 6 doses per day?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Ex...
    Wow, i really screwed that reply up lol, i apologize. I was trying to quote one section of your post. I think i did it wrong lol. So i'll start over.
    Can you please share your info that you have concerning the bad things that you've heard about using the Miralax? Thank you so much.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Leo,
    I'm glad to hear that you had a good bathroom experience yesterday. I hope that it stays this way for you.
    I'm sorry, i don't know the answers to your questions though.
    Take care.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    How much fiber do you yourself take per day?

So should I just forget what the bottle says and take maybe 6 doses per day?
    I'm on a lot of pain meds, including Oxycodone and fentanyl...So my system is slowed as much as anyones. I take two heaping tablespoons each night around 8pm. Taking it at night after dinner is best because I think it helps push through the day's meals, including the biggest meal of the day, or dinner.

It takes a few days for the effects to really kick in, and put you on a regular schedule...Be patient. Anything that makes you go to the bathroom right away isn't good long term. Once you get dialed in on the right amt of fiber, you'll be in great shape. Trust me on this.

If you find that you aren't getting enough, or getting too much, then change the amt of fiber by small increments. Start with two tablespoons and then go from there. Once a day should be fine. If you get too much gas or bloating, back off a bit. Again, small increment changes are big game changers.

Best of luck to you and please report back.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Angelique43 View Post
    Can you please share your info that you have concerning the bad things that you've heard about using the Miralax? Thank you so much.
    Miralax is polyethylene glycol, which is a cousin of ethylene glycol (antifreeze). Here is a recent thread (from April) on the topic.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.phpt=657864&highlight=miralax +antifreeze&page=4

Post # 11 by Krit provides a lot of info. Also, there is lots of information about this constipation issue in the thread....A great resource overall.

Personally, I use Metmucil because it's all natural...100% pure husk fiber...Just like the real thing. However, everyone is different and you should take whatever you're comfortable with. My movements are very natural, don't require much effort, and are the right consistency. Not sure if you saw the Dr. Oz on Oprah, but if so, he described how one's BM's should be, and mine are exactly as he described (should be S shaped). I feel very fortunate that I have gotten dialed in with my fiber content.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
    Nelee
    (female)

Nelee HB User

Executor,

Wow, you wrote this post a long time ago.

Miralax was TERRIBLE for me. I know it's supposed to be Heaven Sent ... not for me. No.
    No. No.

My Gastroenterologist prescribed Lactlose Solution. I've only used it three days so I don't know yet. I think it may be better.
    PS
    Brian, I'm back on the forum. I guess you see that?
    Nelee

Closed Thread