It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Exercise, pain meds and heart. Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
    Angry Exercise, pain meds and heart. Help

Hi Everyone,

I've been on Avinza 120 mg every 4 hours - 6 hours. And Roxy 30 mg as needed. I usually take around 1 of the Roxy per day.

Recently I started exercising again, I'm in my very early 30's and on recent trips to the doc I noticed my B/P has been high, and in addition to that I smoke and was eating horribly (fast food 3X a day). Also I had been just feeling unhealthy all over.

So about 5 months ago in addition to changing my eating habits, I took up the gym again. I started slow and moderate and little by little got stronger with weight and cardio. When I first started and I could not do anything for more than a few minutes without feeling like I was going to drop dead.

So now Iím doing great and all of sudden while doing my Cardio (is when it usually occurs) and it seems to happen when I get to 140 beats per minute my heart jumps(feels like a skipped beat).

I mean I get a pretty forceful feeling in my chest and for a second it feels like Iím going to have a heart attack, sometimes these heart palpitations come in groups of few and they are quite scary and are making me quit my work outs early.

So I got worried enough to go to the ER. They did an ECG and some other blood and X-ray test. Doctor told me everything tested normal and he believes I'm experiencing PVC's. Which is a premature heart beat.

I do believe that the PVC's are what I'm experiencing what worries me is that I seem to get them only when my heart is working hard, sometimes I get them at rest. I also still have not had a chance to go to cardiologist and get more extreme test done. Which Iím going to do soon, cause sometimes I get really worried that itís something much more serious. Although the ER doc said go ahead work out and have no fears.

I'm wondering if anyone here thinks the pain medication may have something to do with it or may have some kind of negative effect to taking narcotic pain killers and working out. As we all know they do slow down the heart rate and maybe that action has some kind of negative effect while doing something that is supposed to increase your heart rate like working out.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or have experienced the same/similar thing? Or does anyone here workout hard and take high doses of opiates and have felt fine with no problems such as mine?

Last edited by Leo123; 07-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Re: Exercise, pain meds and heart. Help

Nobody can relate?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Leo,

What other meds are you taking? Anti-depressants of the type pain management Dr's like to use CAN cause cardiac side effects including rapid pulse rate and very high blood pressure. B vitamins also cause the rapid pulse for me - even the amt in a regular multi-vitamin.

Tig.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Tig,

No other Meds.

I don't have a rapid pulse it just when I exercise and my heart rate goes up as it should when you exercise I get these heart palpatations. Feels like my heart skipped a beat or really gave off an extra beat. As I said it's quite uncomfortable and scary.

I'm wondering if the pain meds have anything to do with it.

Because as pain meds slow the heart rate, I think that maybe because my heart rate is being slowed by the meds and then the exercise is increasing my heart rate, that there is maybe a connection there to my palpations.

Is there anybody here who is on pain meds and exercise's intensely a few times a week (Does something that gets there heart rate above 140 beats per minute for at least 10 - 15 minutes), who has experienced such things with their heart or actually has not had any problems and has been be able to exercise as hard as they want without any probelms.?

Last edited by Leo123; 07-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I don't the opiates would have any kind of effect like that on the heart rate or skipping heart rate. It will slow down the heart rate, breathing, etc but that would be it. It does not damage or mess up the rythem of the heart. I am 35 years old but I don't really work out although when I had a girlfriend I would have some good work out sessions (if you know what I mean) and sometimes felt like my heart would skip a beat. I never really though much about it. Go ahead and get a stress test to calm your fears but I'm it's nothing to worry about.

brian

Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Yeah work outs with my girl friend would cause that too, it actually worries me less when it happens in such a circumstance than while work out at gym.

I know Avinza if anything should lower your B/P, but is there anyway it can cause HIgh Bloodpressure from years of taking it.

Just the avinza by itself without any obvious other factors that cause High B/P such as smoking, caffeine, bad eating, etc..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
    silentwarrior
    (female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hi Leo..

I am going to share both mine and my Husband's experiences with this. First lets talk about Hubby...

He is on pain meds but not large amounts (takes maybe 10 percocet per week for back issues).

About 3 years ago while exercising he felt dizzy, looked extremely pale, and had chest pain. Being trained in the medical field and more importantly a very concerned wife I took his vitals and called 911.

Long story short it turns out he has PVC's 24 hours a day (confirmed through tests) and his heart had gone into a dangerous beat pattern perhaps brought on by exercise but perhaps not. Not reassuring huh?

WHAT DID WE LEARN FROM HIS EXPERIENCE? That PVC's are normal and many people do experience them from time to time. A small percent have them all the time and that is NOT serious unless other symptoms hit.

OKay....on to me...

I take pain meds daily and when I am not in a bad lupus flare I have begun to work out again. I was once a very serious athlete so I am used to my body nt betraying me so to speak. I have had to adjust to not over doing it now.

A few times while exercising I have had PVC's as well. Freaked me out and I would stop working out. I was confused as to why I only felt them during exercise and like you was wondering if meds at anything to do with it.

My cardiologist said that stimulants often cause PVCs. In fact in HIM...too much caffine does it. He felt that my pain meds should not cause it and that exercising is safe. He has me stay away from stimulant type meds and drinks.

The key thing I took from my experience was that it is safe for me to exercise but if ever I get OTHER symptoms like shortness of breath (not from exercising I mean while at rest), chest pain, sudden an severe nausea, dizziness, paleness, very fast pulse even once stopped working out....to SEEK HELP. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

But if I am feeling the skip feeling with out other symptoms to reassure myself its OK and that I am FINE.

Bottom line, if I were you I would at the very least push for a stress test and try to see a cardiologist. We are our own best health advocates and its ok to need to be reassured that things are okay.

Peace,

SW

Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
    ThreeBadDiscs
    (female)

ThreeBadDiscs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    Yeah work outs with my girl friend would cause that too, it actually worries me less when it happens in such a circumstance than while work out at gym.

I know Avinza if anything should lower your B/P, but is there anyway it can cause HIgh Bloodpressure from years of taking it.

Just the avinza by itself without any obvious other factors that cause High B/P such as smoking, caffeine, bad eating, etc..
    I don't mean to sound.... mean or anything, but you said that you DO smoke, and WERE eating badly, and I don't know about caffeine, but it would be pretty hard to try to single out the Avinza when you DO have these other risk factors.... Even aside from that, I think when one takes multiple medications it would be IMPOSSIBLE to accurately single one out as the cause of something like you're experiencing. Like someone else said, go to the cardiologist and get some tests done to calm your fears.

Oh, and to answer your question, no, I've never had this happen, but likely because I can't exercise at the intensity you're talking about (due to pain). I think that a lot of others are likely in the same boat, and that's why you aren't getting too many people "relating." On a separate note, you seem to be on an awfully large amount of opiates, and if you're able to do this much vigerous exercise, I might hypothesize that you are over-medicated. Do you have any pain when you exercise? Do all the meds you take completely take your pain away, or what level do you live at with your meds (1-10 scale)? Just curious, and giving you something to think about. I am on the Duragesic patch and Roxicodone (15mg), up to 9/day for BT (I take 3 at a time, so I'm allowed 3 doses, but rarely take them all), as well as Lyrica and Cymbalta. With all these, I average either a 4/10 or 5/10, about 50/50. Anyway, like I said, something to think about. Not trying to be rude; hope it's not coming accross that way. You're just pretty young, and obviously the goal of PM is to reduce pain to a tolerable level WITH THE LEAST AMT. OF MEDS POSSIBLE. I would hate to see you at 50 years old unable to get pain relief because you were on so many meds at a young age. Take care.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Sure I;m in my pain when I exercise but I the AVinza and the ROxy help and make it manageable for me.

FOrtunatley most of pain is related to my left foot and and leg. I do get other pains like some shoulder and back stuff that vary day to day.

But I'am able to lift upper body and found an elliptical that put almost no pressure on my foot so I can get my cardio in as well. But yes it was super hard in the begining but once I fought through and made it past a couple of months I can't tell you how much better I've been feeling. EXCEPT FOR THIS HEART THING THAT IS FREAKING ME OUT.

Yes, you make alot of sense I know I;m asking a question that has some obvious answers (like hey quit smoking stupid) and also a question that is hard to answer as well. Definitley smoking and all the caffeine from cola could be a factor, but I'm thinking it migt be the opiods.

And that is why I was wondering if anybody on the opiod site experienced anything similar. The only reason I'm thinking it might be the opiates is that, this feeling has to with my heart rate and once it get high I get those palpations, so maybe because it's like the opiates reduce your heart rate and exercise increases it and once i get to 40 betas per minute it just is working too hard and kind of against itself and that is why I;m getting the PVC"s. (or premature beat)

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

SIlent Warrior,

Thanks for your answer I just saw it below.

When I get the PVC's, it quite a forceful feeling in my chest and it hurts a little even. And I get them in groups of like three lately. I get one then about within ten seconds I get another and another one and then it more or less stops.

How do the PVC's you got feel. Was it a forceful feeling or just a light skip type feeling? Do you still excercise ?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Leo123; 07-14-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
    silentwarrior
    (female)

silentwarrior HB User

Hey Leo...

Yeah when my pain levels and other health issues let me I do still exercise.

When I get a bout of PVC's I feel the skip (I think its actually an extra beat but feels and sounds (when the nurse listens to your heart) like a skipped one. But I could be wrong on that one since I am not a Doctor nor have I played one on TV.

TO answer your question I can feel that skippy feeling in my chest...sometimes in my throat. It can make my chest feel kinda "heavy" but not PAINFUL. Its so hard to put into words so if I'm making no sense I am sorry. A time or two it even made my chest feel slightly TIGHT so I call my DOC since chest TIGHTNESS can be a sign of something more serious. My Doctor assured me that my anxiety over the PVC's esp. during an episode is what causes the tightness.

So, yeah I do exercise but if PVC's start to happen and if they make me way too anxious then I stop...calm myself down...do a few nice slow stretches and see how I am doing. Sometimes the PVCs will continue but my chest heaviness or tight feeling goes away once I calm myself down.

One thing I do and this is due to the possibilities of something happening due to my health conditions (and not my meds) is that I NEVER exercise when I am completely alone. I work out at home and not at a gym so I make sure someone is there just incase something happens. Its more of a calming factor really....that way I know if something happens and I can't help myself someone can do so for me.

Anyways, I think that you are safe to exercise but keep in mind I am just me...just someone who can relate to you and is offering as much support as I can but no one's opinion on here should ever take the place of seeking medical advice from your Doctor. From reading your posts you know this and seem to have a good "relationship" with your Doctor which is great.

If I were you and I was working out and the PVC's hit...I would take a few nice slow breaths....maybe a sip or two of some nice cool water....and keep working out. If you need to slow your pace then do so.

If the PVC's continue but are not giving you that chest feeling (what I call heaviness) then I would still keep working out all the while assuring myself I am helping my heart by working out and I am fine...

If you get the chest feeling and it makes you anxious then I would stop my workout...cool down if I could (not smart to go from 60 to zero) with some stretches and breathing exercises and see how I feel.

If the chest feeling turned to pains or real real tight...and/or...short of breath or real pasty/pale/clamy....pains in back, shoulders, arms, neck, jaw...then I would seek help right away. I say this not because I think you are at risk but because I don't want you to overlook symptoms which we all are prone to doing from time to time.

The beats skipping in 3's or whatever yeah that happens. My hubby usually has a pattern of 7's but sometimes its 3's or 5's.

My husband has PVCs all the time and rarely feels them. When he DOES feel them they are either real soft and kinda weak or kinda like how you described....like pounding in chest. I too have felt the pounding and yeah it can freak a person out. My cardiologist assures me that minus any other the other warning signs/symptoms of heart trouble that the pounding feeling is quite normal in people who have this. He says what he sees happen A LOT is that people will feel the PVC.....and freak out. The freaking out can trigger a mild anxiety attack which can mimic a serious heart issue.

He said it can be a viscious cycle which can cause havoc in our bodies such as rasing our BP, making our chest tight, and our pulses heavier more robust...like pounding...

So in patients that are not in a high risk group he gets them (and I am one of them) to focus on calming down and assuring themselves that they are okay.

Hope this helps. I am sorry for the babbling. I hope that the posts here from those of us that can relate and that expressing concerns to your doc will allow you to continue working out. You seem to enjoy it and over all working out is good for us (even if we can not do much due to health and pain).

I still think a stress test and perhaps a 24-48 hour halter monitor may be in order but that is between you and your Doctors.

Peace,

SW

Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Thank You Silent Warrior,

Your post was most helpful and kind!

What kind of Aneurysm did you have and did you fully recovered from them. TG

Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User

Leo, first up, I'd like to say that i think it's awesome that you are exercising. I'm not going to judge you for how you eat or the fact that you smoke but these factors obviously put you at risk and exercise is going to go a long way to helping you maintain your health. It's also good for pain to exercise regularly.

I'm struggling with a sort of similar thing and have finally decided that I'll ask the dr about it on Friday. When I exercise (and I used to be a ballet dancer and run 10kms a day, pretty fit back then) I usually walk and try to do so as quickly as I can. I wear a heart rate monitor and when I'm going up a hill my heartrate regularly goes up to 200bpm and even over 220 bpm. My partner is quite worried about this and doens't like me exercising by myself in case something happens. We've tested my heart rate monitor and done manual testing as well and it's accurate. My heart rate does go down pretty quick but I'm worried about the fact that it goes up so high. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry to highjack your thread, Leo, I hope you don't mind.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Wow Jema,

That is pretty high, whats funny is for me I think my heart rate has difficulties going high.

In other words when my heart rate get to 140 Bps I'm working out pretty hard. Many times I work out with friends and they are even doing elipitical for example at less strenious pace and their heart rate are up at 150/160 bps.

So I think my heart rate is being held back by pain meds somewhat and then that is what my be causing my heart palpations because my heart is working harder than it needs to get my heart rate up.

Yeah 220 bps sounds fast. I know woman heart rates are usually quite a bit higher than mans. Now that I'm having some of my own issues with my heart whenever I go to the gym I try to look at other people heart rates to see were they are at. And when I look at women heart rates they are often times in the 180's. Can't say I seen 200+, but I'm sure if these women that I did see heart rates were at 180, than if they were to exert themselves a bit harder it could easliy get to the 200 range. (I think)

But if your doctor says it's ok to have your heart rate that high, and most important like you said, if you rest it quickly recovers to a lower normal heart rate and does not stay high like that, than I think you are probably ok. Also that when your heart rate is that high that you are not feeling any adverse reactions such as faintness or dizziness, etc... Than you are probably ok.

Last edited by Leo123; 07-15-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
    patti678
    (female)

patti678 HB User

Hi:
    I have similar problems with my heart rate. I workout quite a bit a most of the time my heart rate is between 140 -160 bpm when I am really working hard. I do 90 minutes a day on an inside exercise bike. I also do outside bike riding a few times a week and the wii board. About 1 or 2 times a month my chest will have a flutter like feeling and my heart rate will jump up to around 220 bpm. It usually will take around 5 minutes of rest to get it back to close to a normal rate. A little bit of info on myself. I am 50 year old female who is a type 2 diabetic.I am 5 foot 7 inches tall and weigh 145 pounds. I have to workout every day because of the diabetes. I also have trigentimal nerve injury for which I take MS Contin 100 mg tid for. (My pain is best described as a ice pick constantly being jabbed into my left ear.) I do not know why my heart jumps like that, so My doctor has ordered the halter for a month, plus a stress test and echo. Possibly the person with the high heart like mine could have the same problem. I will post the results of my test as soon as I find out. Please keep working out if you can because it will help your heart, help you lose or keep weight off and even help with some of your pain.

beating fast in Jacksonville,
    Patti

Closed Thread