It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Oxycontin VS Hydrocodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
    Brosiah
    (female)

Brosiah HB User
    Oxycontin VS Hydrocodone

Hello all just hoping to get some insight and experience from you all....
    I was just switched Wednesday to Oxycontin and Oxycodone for break through from Hydrocodone (Norco). I was prescribed 20mg Contin every 12 hrs. And 5mg oxycodone 1-2 every 4 hours as needed up to 8 per day. The goal here was to get me off the Tylenol contained in the Norco, and give better pain relief in preparation for my surgery on Monday (and for after surgery).
    Anyway, I have been feeling like CRUD every since the switch. I have been sick to my stomach and so very tired. All I want to do is lay down all day...which isn't possible with a 6 yr old. I was wondering if this means I am going through withdrawls from the hydrocodone or the Tylenol (I know they are both opiates but I'm curious)...or if Contin is too strong. It weird because I really don't feel the difference in pain control...I am still hurting very badly just as much as before...the only difference is the nausea and drowsiness. It stinks because the Norco actually gave me energy when it took it and now I am feeling like a slug. I haven't even needed to take my sleeping pill since I started it.

So what do y'all think? What were your experiences with starting Oxy?

P.S I have to go to 4 different pharmacies to get this Rx even filled...whats the deal with that?? My PM doctor said I need to try and always go to the same pharmacy but how is that possible when my regular doesnt carry enough to fill my RX? Also why can it only be filled in person and not over the phone? It doesnt seem like its that much stronger than hydrocodone...I dont see what the hype is about.

Last edited by Brosiah; 07-24-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Oxycontin VS Hydrocodone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brosiah View Post
    Anyway, I have been feeling like CRUD every since the switch. I have been sick to my stomach and so very tired. All I want to do is lay down all day...which isn't possible with a 6 yr old. I was wondering if this means I am going through withdrawls from the hydrocodone or the Tylenol (I know they are both opiates but I'm curious)...or if Contin is too strong. It weird because I really don't feel the difference in pain control...I am still hurting very badly just as much as before...the only difference is the nausea and drowsiness. It stinks because the Norco actually gave me energy when it took it and now I am feeling like a slug. I haven't even needed to take my sleeping pill since I started it.
    What you're experiencing is very normal. The chemical compounds can effect one's body very differently. Hydro can trigger the excitement pathways in the Mu receptor. Oxy, on the other hand, is much more sedating. Your body will adjust to this however.

Quote:
    P.S I have to go to 4 different pharmacies to get this Rx even filled...whats the deal with that?? My PM doctor said I need to try and always go to the same pharmacy but how is that possible when my regular doesnt carry enough to fill my RX? Also why can it only be filled in person and not over the phone? It doesnt seem like its that much stronger than hydrocodone...I dont see what the hype is about.
    Please see the sticky re: the Oxycodone availability issue. It should explain everything.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
    Brosiah
    (female)

Brosiah HB User

Thank you Ex, as usual you give great advice. I am interested in the this receptor issue though. I saw a post from a while back where there was a discussion about the kappa and Mu etc. I would like to know more about it. Do you know where I can find more info or can you give me a quick tutorial? (If you have the time of course!)

Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
    Weezi
    (female)

Weezi HB User

Brosiah,
    I hate to hear that you aren't getting the relief you need. I switched from Hydro to Percocet and it works much better for me. Sometimes I have to take Bonine for nausea but I have had problems with nausea for quite some time. The Percocet or Oxy is a C-2 and the Hydro is a C-3. The C-2 meds can't be called in over the phone. I would suggest discussing your issues with your doctor. However, if you give it a chance you might find that it does work. I have never felt very good when switching medications at first. Good luck and keeps us posted;0)
    weezi

Last edited by Weezi; 07-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brosiah View Post
    Thank you Ex, as usual you give great advice. I am interested in the this receptor issue though. I saw a post from a while back where there was a discussion about the kappa and Mu etc. I would like to know more about it. Do you know where I can find more info or can you give me a quick tutorial? (If you have the time of course!)
    Glad I could help.

Check out the following thread:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=704100

It has some great information in it about the different receptors and etc. Specifically, the post by Jema and then my response.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
    Brosiah
    (female)

Brosiah HB User

Thanks I will look into it. Thanks everyone for your responces. This is Saturday so day four of the medication and I am feeling much better today. I guess I did just have to give it a chance to get into my system and start doing its thing. Anyway, I am glad to know this isnt abnormal although its unfortunate that we have to go through it.
    Thanks again!

Last edited by Brosiah; 07-25-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Closed Thread