It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Fentanyl Patch and Massage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
    Pegala
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB UserPegala HB User
    Fentanyl Patch and Massage

Good Evening Guys,
    Does anyone know if you can have a massage while wearing a Fentanyl Patch? I'm going to a spa this week, and I don't know if getting a relaxing massage is an option. Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with this.
    Thanks,
    Peggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Fentanyl Patch and Massage

I don't see why not ... as long as they don't massage right on the patch but they can certainly work around it. I mean people wear patches for a lot of different types of medications so I am sure they aware that people have such things as patches and under the skin implants so they should be knowledgeable about such things. Go and enjoy.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post

I don't see why not ... as long as they don't massage right on the patch but they can certainly work around it.
    I would agree with Ann. Early patch dispensing is caused by excess heat....Either internally i.e. a fever, or externally, such as electric blankets, hot baths / hot tub, laying on the patch for long periods of time, and etc. So, unless the massage uses some type of external heat source...Say in a sauna or something, it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

Go and enjoy.
    By all means! Probably will make you feel better!

Take care,

Ex

Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hi,

I haven't had any experience with the patches, but I know that excess heat can be a problem with them. I get massages done weekly as treatment for myofascial pain.

First I'm guessing this is a spa massage rather than the type for treatment. Tell the therapist that you have a medical patch that you cannot remove and that it is sensitive to heat. She should avoid using any kind of heat pack on that area, and you will need to make sure and tell her if you are getting too warm. Depending on the type of massage she may use any number of warming techniques to help your muscles relax. I'd choose something that doesn't include putting warm rocks on your back (sorry I forget what that is called) or something like that. You might want to call and talk to them ahead of time about which type of massage you want. There are a number of different kinds and some do not require the use of any type external heat sources. Just explain that the area where the patch is needs to stay at normal body temperature and they should be able to figure it out. I've heard MT's say that a swedish massage is a good choice for someone who has not had serious medical massage work, but most spa's have a bunch of options.

Enjoy your massage.

Tigg.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

There are a few things to watch out for.

1. Excessive heat. - If you have a HOT shower, sauna, steam room you should probably avoid those because it will cause TOO much of the fentanyl to be released from the patch and you will start to become dizzy, lightheaded, nausea, and possibly throw up.

2. Tell the massage therapist to avoid putting any massage oil near or on the fentanyl patch because this will cause it to come loose and possibly fall off. The oil will get around the edge and possibly underneath and you don't want that.

Other than those 2 things, enjoy yourself and I wish that I could come along.

brian

Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
    Brandymarie
    (female)

Brandymarie HB User
    Smile Re: Fentanyl Patch and Massage

I have a massage every two weeks and have never had a problem with my patch on. They don't press on it - they just go around it so put it on your side or some place other than your back when you know you are getting a massage. Hope this answers your question. Good Luck.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Just to agree with what everybody said, I get massages as often as I can. Like everyone said, be very careful of heat. I always tell them I don't want the hot pad or wet towels but during my last massage she had something like an electric blanket on the table, not on anything she put on or over me. I didn't even realize it was there until after the massage. During the massage the table felt just a little warmer and I just thought it was warmer in the room. I fortunately didn'y have any problems but I told her for anything in the future not to use that. Don't take it for granted that you said it before like I did, make sure every time.

Now just relax and enjoy!!

Melissa

Closed Thread