It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• How do we take meds if we can't keep them down?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
    lemonflavor
    (male)

lemonflavor HB User
    How do we take meds if we can't keep them down?

I'm vomiting and because I'm not sure which drug is causing the problem, I'm not sure when it will stop. I'm taking a lot of psych drugs plus pain meds. What happens if I can't take them for more than a day? I'll be withdrawing from all those meds at the same time which will cause more vomiting etc etc.

I left a message for my PM doc but he isn't there today.

I think it might be the gabapentin which I recently went up to 2400mg. I'm also having bad headaches and that's the one which has headaches listed as a side effect.

Last edited by lemonflavor; 08-18-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
    Re: How do we take meds if we can't keep them down?

Can you call your primary care doctor and see if he/she can give you something for the nausea? They have stuff that just dissolves on your tongue so you don't have to worry about keeping anything down.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
    lemonflavor
    (male)

lemonflavor HB User

If this keeps up tomorrow, I will do that. Do you know the name of it? Does it help for stomach virus type stuff? I'm also wondering if that's what I have. I'm really confused and concerned right now as to the cause.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

There are two types of narcotics that may apply here:

(1) Oxycodone comes in a liquid and is very concentrated. One dropper (size of baby tylenol) or 1 cc is 20mg, as an example.

(2) Fentanyl- Actiq and Fentora come in a lozenge that you place between your cheek and gums and it dissolves, absorbing directly into your blood stream via tiny blood vessels in your mouth.

All of the above work very quickly...i.e 5 minutes.

Also, you may inquire about some nausea med that is taken rectally. It would help a lot.

Hope you feel better,

Ex

Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Sending get well wishes here as well. I've had a tough year suffering from nausea. I received some great advice here. In the end I never asked my GP for a script but I did start taking my meds with a small meal - that helped. Also, I've been keeping hydrated and that is helping too.Somone mentioned Dramamine (for car sickness, etc.). I did take a heartburn type med and Pepto Bismal. Both helped. I checked with the pharmacist when I purchased my scripts but gradually things improved somewhat.

Feel better as I felt this pain of wanting to vomit for a good week when I was first switched meds and more recently with genericis that didnt agree with me. Keep your doctor up to speed.
    Good luck,
    T

Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I would call your primary Dr. and ask for something. Phenergan comes in both oral and suppository forms. It works pretty well, I have to take it for an inner ear disorder sometimes. The only drawback is that it can make you pretty sleepy, but that's better than not being able to keep anything down.

Tigg.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
    lemonflavor
    (male)

lemonflavor HB User

I may be over the hump. I'm able to take about two small pills at a time or a half of a large pill. I've been taking pills about every 30-45 min. to make sure the previous ones stayed down. I don't think I've ever felt this bad other than when I went off Zoloft too fast and had six weeks of withdrawal hell.

Our thermometer is broke and my wife is going to get a new one. My PM doc's PA said to take my temp to see if I'm sick. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks for suggestions. I'm trying the Pepto trick right now. I'll call about Phenergan or whatever else if things get worse again. Putting me to sleep wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
    CaliGirl
    (female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

Sublingual (dissolves under the tongue) tablets of Zofrain are very powerful and effective. I was given these when I was in the ER due to the stomach flu and, on top of that, Oxycotin withdrawal because I could not keep my meds down. They are prescription only.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lemonflavor View Post

Putting me to sleep wouldn't be a bad thing.
    It's ironic that you should mention that because the last time I got a bad case of the stomach flu and couldn't keep anything down, they gave me a shot of demerol at the ER to essentially slow everything down, including the cramping. It did put me to sleep for a couple of hours and afterwards, including being hooked up to an IV for the entire time, I felt like a completely different person.

Hope you start to feel better soon!

Ex

Closed Thread