It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• A follow up on Generic Oxycodone 15 MG IR brand - if I change pharmacies, my choice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User
    A follow up on Generic Oxycodone 15 MG IR brand - if I change pharmacies, my choice

Hi - thanks for all of you help a few weeks back. I have checked with 3 large chains and one small independent pharmacy so far. My monthly renewal is near and I've discussed my awful experience with the Mall branch with my PM doc - he is fine as is my insurance company - it's ok for me to switch pharmacies and I will only use this new pharmacy for Pain Meds.

Re the Mallinkroft brand - it just didn't agree with me. I'm not 100% sure it is the reason I got physically ill a couple of days a few weeks back............but I will say that the next 2-3 weeks I noted a marked decline in my PM coverage - it wore off very quickly and basically would crumble in my hands.

I can (so far) only find one pharmacy in this area who carries a different Oxycodone IR 15 mg - it is Amide/Actavis 15 mg IR. I did a tiny bit of research and it's such a personal choice - I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience? My insurance company is aware that I will be changing pharmacy for my only my PM meds (I spoke to the manager who helped me a year ago and has been pivotal in approving my continued physical therapy). Then I called around - everyone carries Mallinkrtoft - I find it almost amazing. The one independent I finally found only carries Amide and if you have experience with this generic or company, I would be very grateful if you would share your thoughts. (I didn't want to ask them over the phone if they would order Qualitest for me so if you have any feedback on these 2 generics, thank you for sharing.

Also, to address the 20% differential of the actual ingredient, Oxy, the pharmacist at CVS says "hogwash", perhaps one or you/Ex, can you link me to just one site so that I can have a review and understand this difference? When I thought about it - if it was 20% weaker version last month, that is almost 10 mg less of the drug I was getting (9% to be exact - rounded up). That could well be another reason I do not find this brand works for me. I am wondering if Amide would fall into this category as well, eg 20% less active ingredient - if anyone knows, I would love to hear from you.
    Thanks in advance.
    T

Last edited by kim46; 08-18-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: A follow up on Generic Oxycodone 15 MG IR brand - if I change pharmacies, my choi

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim46 View Post

Also, to address the 20% differential of the actual ingredient, Oxy, the pharmacist at CVS says "hogwash", perhaps one or you/Ex, can you link me to just one site so that I can have a review and understand this difference? When I thought about it - if it was 20% weaker version last month, that is almost 10 mg less of the drug I was getting (9% to be exact - rounded up). That could well be another reason I do not find this brand works for me. I am wondering if Amide would fall into this category as well, eg 20% less active ingredient - if anyone knows, I would love to hear from you.
    Your CVS pharmacist should be embarrassed that he/she doesn't know this. It's called the Hatch-Waxman Act. It essentially created today's generic market. The 20% difference also permits generics to keep costs down. What they don't tell you is because they take 20% out! The FDA permits a 20% variation because in their opinion, it's the same therapuetic dose and thus, no difference.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User
    Re: A follow up on Generic Oxycodone 15 MG IR brand - if I change pharmacies, my choi

Thanks Ex. I actually found some websites that addressed the 20% and others which are said there has to be the same % of painkiller.

I also did a search on Amide and the reviews I read were much more positive than the Mall. brand. I did feel adequate relief from the Qualitest so I'm not sure I want to go another month unsure if I'll adjust quickly.

You've been so helpful to me, it is greatly appreciated. I only need to let my insurance company know which pharmacy I will use for pain meds (I'm keeping all other scripts with my long-time pharmacy and insurance is fine with this. Basically, they want me to use CVS for all my scripts because of the way my RX is set up but I've met them halfway). Of course the usual pharmacist in charge will be aware of all of my meds and he was the one to suggest I try the independent pharmacy when I asked if he could stock Qualitest for me.

The Hogwash pharmacist was not the PIC, but another gentleman who fills in when the PIC gets some time off.
    Thank you! I'll look up Hatch-Waxman Act!
    T

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

I was just reading your reply again and to agree that 36mg of Oxy IR is the exact same therapeutic value as 45mg, well, the math just doesn't agree! Off to search.
    T!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I agree 100%. I sent you some information.

Best of luck to you with this.

Regards,

Ex

Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Do you have a Hy-Vee in your area? At least around here they will only get the mallinkrodt if nothing else is available (like during the shortage of oxy ir earlier this year). They are good about ordering things for paitients too, even if you are the only one at that store that is prescribed that med.

Tigg.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Hey Tigg, no I don't but I am still checking around.

Ex, thanks for the info - will check it out and revert.
    Thanks everyone.
    T

Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
    amethystma
    (female)

amethystma HB User

I wanted to share my experience. This month my independent pharmacy special ordered Avide Oxy IR for me. I typically received the Mall. brand.

The improvement was noticeable with my first dose. Less euphoria and more pain relief.

I have decreased my BT med use by ONE THIRD so far.

The only downside: I have noticed that it appears to be more constipating, but I will deal with that.

I cannot believe the improvement!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
    demid30
    (male)

demid30 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim46 View Post
    I was just reading your reply again and to agree that 36mg of Oxy IR is the exact same therapeutic value as 45mg, well, the math just doesn't agree! Off to search.
    T!
    yea doesnt seem to be the same to me!

Closed Thread