It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• halcion dosage for epidural + other meds question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User
    halcion dosage for epidural + other meds question

hi, my PM dr is doing a spinal block on me ( i guess epidural type) in his office tuesday. he gave me 3 .25 Halcion pills to take 45 mins before the procedure. I do not take any other type of anxiety meds and havent in a long time. all the literature i read online states that .50 should be the max dose, anything above that is considered " not too safe". i have bad anxiety in the drs room and high BP and pulse as it is (plus i smoke , which i plan on not smoking or drinking caffiene the day before or that morning). any the office told me to take the 3 pills on an empy stomach along with all the othe meds i take, which is 8mg of hydromorphone and zanaflex (muscle relaxer) 4 m. so id be taking 4mg zanaflex, 8 mg hyromorphone and .75 mg of halcion on an EMPTY stomach.. i stated the concern that i thought all that might be too much or the dosage might be too high for the halcion but no one really said anything (dr, nurses or pharmacist who works with alot of my drs patients)...any ideas? is all that and .75 safe or .50 induce amnesia or sleepiness?..i always thought opiates and anxiety pills "potentiate one another"...any ideas or help is greatly appreciated..thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
    Cowpin8
    (male)

Cowpin8 HB User
    Re: halcion dosage for epidural + other meds question

myhearthurts

If your PM doctor knows EVERY medication you are currently taking then you should be fine. If you did not tell him everything you take, then you are taking a risk. I am going tomorrow morning for Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injections. I am a little nervous also. I am going to be put out for the procedure. I also had them in my neck with no problems. Good Luck to you.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

good luck!.. i had radiofrequency lesioning in my neck but was put out also (i had good insurance). my dr said he could put me out totally and thats what he said would be best but i would have to pay 500-600 dollars in the hospital. the pain is so bad though in my legs that i cant sleep and my low back hurts. its the nerves that are pinched, I cant take the pain and donr have time to save that kins of money. so he is doing it in his office. he charges 100 dolllars an hr without insurance for office visits and my copay is 20%. so i pay around 15 dollars when i see him. i already have the meds, hes not providing them and he said the procedure will take about 45 minutes and probably cost around 60-80. i wonder why if my co pay is 20% and its less than an hr.. but anyway he does know everything i take. he is the one that rx's it, except the melatonin but knows i takethat to and OTC meds like motrin etc... I talked to someone at church that had a spinal tap (has ms) and he said he was awake and in TREMENDOUS pain. I figure its about the same. instead of taking fluid outta me theyre just gonna put something in. So now i actually worried myself sick. now im afraid it wont be enough since im resistant to meds in general...the best advice people gave me that i talked to is that after taking the halcion and in the office and srill nervous speak up, and let him know (my dr said i do have high bp and if its higher from stressing he will wait,whatever that means) anyway, people also told me that its my right to refuse if im not comfortable with it...i dont know though, I wish i could get some sleep though
    I hate the fact that if i had more money or even better insurance that i could get much better care. care that would be worry and pain free..atleast the 3 pills were only like 7 dollars (no rx ins...yet).....Thanks for the reply, and sorry for such a long message, im just really worried..

sorry for any typos, im laying down, the stress caused a massive headache and chest pain.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
    myhearthurts
    (female)

myhearthurts HB User

actually i believe mines the same as yours and in the lumbar. when you had them before were you out out completely also?..I do hope yours goes well tomorrow and are pain free!

Closed Thread