It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Methadone side-effect? Loss of mental acuity.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
    Keereepip
    (male)

Keereepip HB User
    Methadone side-effect? Loss of mental acuity.

I've been taking methadone (20mg 3x/day = 60mg/day) for about 4 years now, and I'm extremely happy with the pain managment results (chronic lower back pain). I went through the typical year or so of trying everything--ultram/tramadol, neurontin, morphine, trigger point injections...--and methadone plus percocet for breakthrough has been great! Probably good to point out that a stool softener is a must with this clogging combination...since I'm singing the praises. Good with the bad.

I like methadone because, for me, it has very minimal side-effects. No euphoria/"buzz", no slurred speach, glassy eyes, stumbling or anything else that might otherwise ruin or prevent a successful executive career.

HOWEVER (right?), I often struggle through my thoughts and words.
    "Like thinking through cotton" is how I've heard it best described. My short term memory has also taken a beating. The rub is that my livelihood and ability to meet my full earning potential (promotions) depend on these things--especially since ruptured discs, DDD, fractured vertebrae, nerve impingement, etc have limited my ability to earn a living in a more active role.

In short, my ability to think clearly, quickly and precisely has always been what separated me from the rest of the pack.

This side effect isn't crippling, and only during the worst episodes even noticeable since I do a good job recognizing the onset. However, I'm nowhere near the level of mental acuity I had before taking methadone. I try to compensate by working longer hours to make up the difference or just to get a few quite, focused hours without distractions.

I'm worried now because recently my boss gave me performance feedback that spoke directly to issues I'm having with methadone side-effects. I work in fast-paced, leadership role, so I can't hide ALL of the instances of losing my short-term memory, focus, or loss for words.

1) has anyone else suffered this same side-effect?
    2) if so, what did you do to cope/cure?
    3) is there a medication that can counteract or mitigate this side effect? (any ideas welcome).

I really like the pain management benefits, but I'm seriously considering a detox and/or switch medications (a very scary thought/journey that could land me in a worse spot side-effect wise.)

Thanks for any insights!

Last edited by Keereepip; 08-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
    Re: Methadone side-effect? Loss of mental acuity.

Any type of pain medication will effect you mentally, some more than others. I have heard that Methadone can cause quite a bit of sedation, and cloudy thinking especially when first starting on it and it tends to disappear but not completely. I would definitely not try going off the Methadone because I have hard the detox is just HORRIBLE and excruciating because it is literally absorbed into your bones and takes a LONG TIME to completely get out of your body.

So, what can you do to counteract the effects. There are stimulant type medications that can counteract these effects. One of the better ones is called Provigil. It is supposed to be for narcolepsy but many PM doctors will prescribe it to counteract the drowsy effect/cloudy thinking. You might want to ask your doctor about trying it and see if you notice an improvement.

brian

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
    Keereepip
    (male)

Keereepip HB User

Brian,

Thank you very much! Your reply is exactly the type of help I'm looking for. I'll ask my physician about Provigil right away and share what I find out. I share your sentiments on dropping the methadone, and would prefer to first see if I can deal with the side-effects.

Thanks again!

Any other comments or recommendations are much appreciated.

Last edited by Keereepip; 08-25-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

I know I'm late here, but I wanted to add that I was prescribed Provigil after a week of the Methadone....And I got samples...A couple weeks worth...When those ran out, I priced them and OMG !!!...They were more expensive than the meds that I asked to be taken off of because I had lost my job ( laid off) and insurance...!....As for how they worked....Pretty good....I was explained that they ' should' last 12 hrs and that there was no caffein jitters.....No jitters, for sure, but they lasted ( on me) maybe 6 hours and when they were done, THEY WERE DONE by golly !!!....I was nodded again ! HA !...No seriously, with me Ithey didnt just wear off, they were totally DONE !!

Hope it all worked out for you !

Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

In order to counteract the fuzzies you get with Methadone, you'd have to use an antagonist (nope - not like an inlaw lol) - with would stop the Methadone from doing its job. Unfortuntely fuzziness goes with the territory.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveseavy View Post
    In order to counteract the fuzzies you get with Methadone, you'd have to use an antagonist (nope - not like an inlaw lol) - .

hahah !...Funny !

Last edited by LuvMyPittie; 09-24-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
    sunny414
    (female)

sunny414 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keereepip View Post
    I've been taking methadone (20mg 3x/day = 60mg/day) for about 4 years now, and I'm extremely happy with the pain managment results (chronic lower back pain). I went through the typical year or so of trying everything--ultram/tramadol, neurontin, morphine, trigger point injections...--and methadone plus percocet for breakthrough has been great! Probably good to point out that a stool softener is a must with this clogging combination...since I'm singing the praises. Good with the bad.

I like methadone because, for me, it has very minimal side-effects. No euphoria/"buzz", no slurred speach, glassy eyes, stumbling or anything else that might otherwise ruin or prevent a successful executive career.

HOWEVER (right?), I often struggle through my thoughts and words.
    "Like thinking through cotton" is how I've heard it best described. My short term memory has also taken a beating. The rub is that my livelihood and ability to meet my full earning potential (promotions) depend on these things--especially since ruptured discs, DDD, fractured vertebrae, nerve impingement, etc have limited my ability to earn a living in a more active role.

In short, my ability to think clearly, quickly and precisely has always been what separated me from the rest of the pack.

This side effect isn't crippling, and only during the worst episodes even noticeable since I do a good job recognizing the onset. However, I'm nowhere near the level of mental acuity I had before taking methadone. I try to compensate by working longer hours to make up the difference or just to get a few quite, focused hours without distractions.

I'm worried now because recently my boss gave me performance feedback that spoke directly to issues I'm having with methadone side-effects. I work in fast-paced, leadership role, so I can't hide ALL of the instances of losing my short-term memory, focus, or loss for words.

1) has anyone else suffered this same side-effect?
    2) if so, what did you do to cope/cure?
    3) is there a medication that can counteract or mitigate this side effect? (any ideas welcome).

I really like the pain management benefits, but I'm seriously considering a detox and/or switch medications (a very scary thought/journey that could land me in a worse spot side-effect wise.)

Thanks for any insights!
    Hello, My husband,after taking every pain pill out there, has been on methadone for almost 13 years. His doctor had to practically beg him to take it because my husband was afraid of the stigma that came with it. Anyway it has been the only pain pill in this world that workd for him and it doesn't make him have any so called "High" effect. It also saved our marriage because living with someone who was on all the other pain pills was like living with a acoholic. Yes, he can watch a show and totally forget he had seen it the next week, also it will affect your hearing, eyes and your teeth (so please be aware of that) The only good thing is, it hadn't affected his job, which was in the Broadcasting business. I say was because on top of everything else he's endured. He was in accident and was put on disability which is making him depressed because he was good at what he did and he''s not the kind of person to sit around. I just wanted to let you know what long term methadone does. For the chronic pain, it''s a life saver but it does have some side effects. His memory also is alot better if he doesn't add anything else with it. (other perscribed pills)He quit taking everything but the methadone. The last important thing is sleep. If he doesn't get a full 8 hours his mind isn't as sharp and you can tell. I pray that somehow things will get better for you and your job. The best to you and your family.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
    guy in AU
    (male)

guy in AU HB User

A stimulant would probably help, if your doctor was willing to prescribe you one.

Dexamphetamine, methylphenidate (the doctor may balk at prescribing these because of their potential for dependence etc), Provigil etc

Last edited by guy in AU; 09-26-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
    Matt5883
    (male)

Matt5883 HB User

After more than 4 years on methadone to control chronic pain I too have experienced the "muddy mind" syndrome (as I call it). I forget nearly everything that I do not write down. I stuggle for continuity in conversation. I struggle to socially interact at a level that makes me appear NOT to be mentally challenged. Several years ago I wrote a science fiction novel that, which unless I am reading, I do not remember. I do not believe that another drug is the answer. I am very despondent and lost much of the time because I feel I am a hollowed out shell of what I used to be. Without the drug my life is not functional. The best I can do is remain as motionless as possible, sleep and fight depression. Neither are really living, yet the control of pain is preferrable to the alternative. God I miss my life.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
    LeMans
    (female)

LeMans HB User

Hi Keereepip,
    You got some really good advice here. I'll add in my little history with Methadone. When I first went to my present pain doc Methadone is DEFIANTLY his drug of choice. So obviously that's what he started me on. Well, I suffered through it for about a good month & just couldn't stand it. It really didn't help a great deal for the pain plus at the time I was working (and even if I wasn't), like you said the groggy, cotton brain thing was terrible. It didn't make me sleepy, just foggy and not clear-headed and just did not ease up at all. Also I had this weird side effect that I wouldn't call hallucinations, but I would like see the shape or shadow of something out of the corner of my vision and think it was some kind of creepy "bad-guy" image until I looked over and realized it was just a door or a coathanger or something normal. Really freaked me out and I just could not deal with this. (Anyone else have that happen?). Anyway I finally got him to change me over to Avinza (expensive name brand morphine) then to generic LA morphine sulfate (if you have insurance very inexpensive, I was paying $10. But then I had a short time where we were on Cobra & they had a limit on how much a year they would pay on this particular plan and that was met in like 2 months and what turned into $10 went to like $175!) But anyway back to the point, morphine and I get along great together. I have no side effects, no groggies or boogy men, even got over the bit of constipation once I was on it a while, at least nothing an OTC drug couldn't clear up). I realize I'm probably not the norm with this drug, but I wouldn't want to switch back to Methadone for nothing. Anyway I had a real big mental issue also with all the side-effect stories, withdrawal stories, etc. I've heard and it just plain scared me too much. So for what it's worth I'm very pleased with what I'm on and it has been about 4 years now.
    And I also just got an upgrade from 60 mg. 3x a day to 100 mg. 3x a day. I don't know if you've ever tried long-acting morphine, but maybe you could talk to your doc about giving it a try. You never know, that's the way it is with pain meds, sometimes you got to do a little experimenting til you find something that you feel comfortable with. I wish you well however it turns out. Let us know!

Best wishes,
    LeMans

Old 09-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
    Mikrob
    (male)

Mikrob HB User

I've been on methadone for 12 years and I can also experince the short term memory problem and trouble concertrating. Speaking is the worst and I used to be great at public speaking. I am 57 yrs old and thought maybe senior moments were starting to occur. I don't really have any answers but it's nice to know that I'm not alone with this situation.

Closed Thread