It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Don't you just love it when you meet a Dr. who doesn't believe in narcotics!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
    jdsun
    (female)

jdsun HB User
    Don't you just love it when you meet a Dr. who doesn't believe in narcotics!

So, I went to my Neurologist today because my god awful stomach migraines have returned (this in itself is a HUGE thing that I touched upon in my other post).

Anyway, he believes (as do I) that the migraines were triggered from a switch in my pain medications. I was on daily hydrocodone for 2 years, and during that time I did not have one single migraine episode!

Anyway, at the end of the appointment, I told him how fustrated I was with this whole pain management thing and now I am about to lose it with these migraines. He then tells me, that he NEVER prescribes narcotics and doesn't really believe in them. He then tells me he had surgery on his arm (not sure what his problem was there) and tells me he did not take one single narcotic pain medication during that ordeal. I was like....what do you want...a freaking metal!! I think he could tell that upset me and then went on to say that my use is not the same as him and it is personal decision and I and my pain doctor know what is best for me. He then said in his country they never use narcotic pain medication.

Comments like that just get to me. I wanted to says...great...so you refused your pain medication and probably slowed down your recovery time on your arm.

Arghh...just had to vent about this.

Thanks,
    Jdsun

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: Don't you just love it when you meet a Dr. who doesn't believe in narcotics!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsun View Post

So, I went to my Neurologist today because my god awful stomach migraines have returned (this in itself is a HUGE thing that I touched upon in my other post).

Anyway, he believes (as do I) that the migraines were triggered from a switch in my pain medications. I was on daily hydrocodone for 2 years, and during that time I did not have one single migraine episode!
    So, is he recommending you go back on Hydrocodone? Hopefully, he'll back you on such re:your PM Doc.

As a side note, sounds like he is one of those self righteous types. I can't believe he told you about his stupid arm. How irrelevant. I'd go see anther neuro and see if you can get some reasonable information this time.

Sorry this happened to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
    Jema X
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jema X HB User
    Re: Don't you just love it when you meet a Dr. who doesn't believe in narcotics!

Well isn't he tough!!! When my partner (used to be an international tennis player) had his hip op he kept trying to refuse the pain meds trying to be tough - the surgeon ended up calling up to the ward and saying (as you said jd) that not taking them would slow his recovery in the long term and to pull his head in. If you need it, take it.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Well, hey, if he doesn't prescribe narcotics, why should you go to him. You need to find another doctor.

Nothing else but narcotics works for me I can tell you that. It's not that I want to take narcotics, no I don't want to. I have no choice.

That's true. Some countries DO NOT allow the use of NARCOTICS. Third world countries like South america(for the best of my knowledge) and Russia do not allow narcotics meds AT ALL.

He's just JEALOUS in united states narcotics is allowed.
    Jealousy can make a person crazy. He sounds crazy.

Do not let it get into you young woman. If I was you, I will FIND me another doctor. dump him A.S.A.P

Last edited by nochange; 09-06-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

So he refused pain medication after his arm surgery - big deal. Anybody can be a hero (or wallow in stupidity.) Find another doctor. This guy is too full of himself.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

You know, I used to have a neurolgoist also and she was from Russia!, she also refused narcotics. She called narcotics:" nonsense". She said: "it's not a treatment". oh well you know, then what is a treatment when nothing else work??, Is suffering 24/7 and not functioning it better? I dont' think so) You know why, cause in Russia they don't allow the use of narcotics medications. So I went back to my primary care doctor and he prescribed me narcotics (at this moment it's percocet, I think it's light narcotics?, not sure).

They are just jealous cause they know back home in Russia lot's of people are suffering from chronic pain and they cannot take narcotics and here in the u.s it's legal. Or perhaps they think it's NOT FAIR it goes that way.

Either way, Find yourself a good american born doctor, so you won't need to get into those type of arguements. You have just about ENOUGH to deal with when it comes to chronic pain, you don't need to argue with anyone.

Good american doctors don't argue with you, so as I said, dump him.

Last edited by nochange; 09-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Yeah right - that doc forgot to tell you how is buddy doc gave him high dose nerve block and other cocktails injected at injury site during surgery that got him through a couple days till he felt better. And probably had some ongoing support like that instead of taking narcotics. If they weren't needed in this world they wouldn't have been invented. Tell him fine - he is entitled to his beliefs, and you are entitled to pain relief and management. Ask for referral to pain manaement practice.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

You See Ex,

When I decided not to tell my GP about the full extent of my opiate use, I was afriad of doc like the one Jdsun is talking about.

Again I know my worry is just ridiculous and next time I see him I do plan on telling him the truth and tell him I take more than just a few percocets a day.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Unhappy Re: Don't you just love it when you meet a Dr. who doesn't believe in narcotics!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    You See Ex,

When I decided not to tell my GP about the full extent of my opiate use, I was afriad of doc like the one Jdsun is talking about.

See, this upsets me! Why is pain management so taboo?
    We should be able to discuss our pain management treatment openly and honestly with all of our Doctors without fear of judgment by them. We have legitimate medical conditions that leave us in pain day in and day out.

I can still remember when I gave birth to my first son. I was able to endure hours and hours of labor without ANY pain medication whatsoever. I'm not saying it wasn't painful, but it was pain I could endure. So, I know the difference between pain I can endure and the pain I NOW experience with my spinal issues (multiple surgeries) and the joint pain from systemic lupus. I have suffered with ongoing and real pain for years and very often without effective pain management.

What angers me is we're often left feeling by Doctors that are being wimps and that we should be "stronger" and deal with. Well, until they experience the pain we are in day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, then they have NO right to pass judgment on our pain management needs.

I see various Doctors for my conditions (I only receive narcotic prescriptions from my pain management Doctor). But, I refuse to be embarrassed to give all my Doctors the list of medications I need for pain management. I need my pain medications as much as I need the medications for keeping my lupus in remission.

There shouldn't be a taboo surrounding pain management and it angers me that there are people abusing the system that aren't legitimate pain patients that use the medications we need on a daily basis - medications we should never feel embarrassed about.

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 09-09-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    You See Ex,

Again I know my worry is just ridiculous and next time I see him I do plan on telling him the truth and tell him I take more than just a few percocets a day.
    Leo123, how many percocets a day do you take and what's the dose?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I dont even take percocets at the moment no change.

I actually take avinza and oxy Ir for break through. My point was that I wanted him to know I take some opiates but for whatever reaon even though I'm perscribed by a pain clinic all my meds and my pain is legitimate and I have the charts and medical records to prove all my conditions, I was just afriad to admit how much I take because of how he might re-act to it.

I was there because I knew my Testosterone was low because of years of opiate therapy and even though he probebly would not have said this, Iw as afriad he would say something like well I;m not going to treat you for Low T until byou cut down some of your meds or something like that.

WHo knows agains I was stupid but jdsun validates my point that many doctors are judgemental on people who take opiates regularly and it just isn't right and they have no right to treat the patient that way.

Next time I see my doc I plan to tell him everything.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I find it incredibly hard to believe that they NEVER use morphine in Russia or South American countries. Sounds like an exaggeration to me.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that they NEVER use morphine in Russia or South American countries. Sounds like an exaggeration to me.
    Hey toonses, it's not an exaggaration. Even the pharmacist who is from Russia told me in Russia they only give oxycontin/oxycodone or any type of narcotic only after an operation and that's only for COUPLE of days.
    Then if you are stuck with chronic pain you can take pain meds anything you want other than narcotics. That's I know for sure.

I've heard in third world countries and south america they don't allow narcotic pain meds for chronic pain.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
    soapies777
    (female)

soapies777 HB User

I know exactly how u feel. I once went to an er just to be yelled at by er dr for the meds i was on and made fun of the doctors i seen. I left in tears

Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nochange View Post
    Hey toonses, it's not an exaggaration. Even the pharmacist who is from Russia told me in Russia they only give oxycontin/oxycodone or any type of narcotic only after an operation and that's only for COUPLE of days.
    Then if you are stuck with chronic pain you can take pain meds anything you want other than narcotics. That's I know for sure.
    Yet, 95% of the population there drinks Vodka every day. Amazing isn't it?

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread