It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Anyone tried NUCINTA?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
    Rita27
    (female)

Rita27 HB User
    Anyone tried NUCINTA?

My doctor just prescribed a new pain medicine called Nucinta. It's brand new. Wondering if anyone has used it or knows anything about it. I have a very sensitive stomach and I get nervous to try anything, but my pain is getting unbearable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User
    Re: Anyone tried NUCINTA?

Hi Rita,
    Someone just told me about this..it is Nucynta...look online. It is a combination of a an SSRI antidepressant and pain med. I am on Savella and pain meds now and they are not doing very well. I am going to ask my doc about this when I go in a few weeks. Keep us posted on how this works for you. Good luck!

Deb

Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

I asked the same question last week. Someone told me there was a thread that talked about it:
    http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=703195

It took my pharmacy a week to get it in stock and I got the prescription today. Too early to know how well it will work yet. I had a spinal epidural yesterday and started the pills today. The pharmacist said I was the guinea pig for all of the pharmacies that he works for. I was the first person to get it.

I guess we'll have to test it our together and post our results. The one thing I did notice with my first dose was between 2 hours and 4 hours after taking it, I don't want to be driving my car. I did get drowsy. I never did feel any effects with Percocets like that. So time will tell how Nucynta works.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
    deb53
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

deb53 HB User

I am very interested in this med so please keep us posted on how it works for you. I am on another new med, Savella, for fibro and it hasn't helped at all. I am going to talk to my doc in October about using this for my pain issues. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

I tried the Nucynta two nights ago after I had my epidural to get rid of my headache. It did mask 95% of the headache, but I did not have any real pain to test it on since I had just received the epidural that day. I tried it just to see how I would react to them. Something that did happen that never occurred on the Percs, I felt drowsy for about 2 hours, 2-4 hours after taking it. Drowsy enough that I would not have driven my car. The Percs never effected me that way - they just got rid of the pain.

So, I'm in a waiting game for the pain to return so I can give them a real test. The epidurals seem to stop the pain any where from 3 days to a few months depending on what is causing the problem this time (i.e., bulging disc pushing on spine or spinal stenosis clamping nerve). When the pain returns, I'll try it again.

Note: I'm from the addiction & dependency board originally, where I went thru horrible w/d's when I came off of the opiates. So, I'm not eager to start popping pills and go through that all over again. So, now, I take the pills when I really need them. If the pain increases to where I need them everyday, then I'll start taking them, but in the meantime I take them on an as-needed-basis. Withdrawals suck!!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by denon View Post

Note: I'm from the addiction & dependency board originally, where I went thru horrible w/d's when I came off of the opiates. So, I'm not eager to start popping pills and go through that all over again. So, now, I take the pills when I really need them. If the pain increases to where I need them everyday, then I'll start taking them, but in the meantime I take them on an as-needed-basis. Withdrawals suck!!
    Please let me say "Welcome" again. I have read many of your posts from that board and I must say that you are an inspiration to many. Great job.

We are glad to have you as part of this board.

Take care,

Ex

Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
    CaliGirl
    (female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

I have been on Nucynta for about 5 weeks now. The Percocet I was previously taking was changed abruptly to this after I called in for a routine refill. I was expecting the worst after I read a few posts on the internet about Nucynta. However, it seems to work very well for pain I have which is localized to my right SI joint. Better than the Percocet was doing the job. It does not take away this strong ache I get sometimes in the very center of my back. Percocet took away this aching well but did not touch the joint pain. Now I have the opposite. So, I guess that Percocet + Nucynta = the perfect drug (for me). Somehow, I doubt that I will emerge from my appt next week with prescriptions for both :-) Please le me know how it works for you and best of luck. Lisa

Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
    jbuster
    (male)

jbuster HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rita27 View Post
    My doctor just prescribed a new pain medicine called Nucinta. It's brand new. Wondering if anyone has used it or knows anything about it. I have a very sensitive stomach and I get nervous to try anything, but my pain is getting unbearable.
    ivebeen on it for a month for chronic back pain and have found it to be fairly ineffective compared to methadone.seem it has minimal severe pain releif.no side effects

Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
    elykoj
    (male)

elykoj HB User

Did nothing for me, i tried it for 2 months. very disappointed

Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
    martin55
    (female)

martin55 HB User

my husband has taken every narcotic pain medication and now takes Nucynta! He loves it! Trust me...give it a try! They say not to chew it?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
    pickupscripts
    (male)

pickupscripts HB User

Not to be a jerk, but it is not an ssri derivative. SSRI's do not include a norepee componet. It's more like I trycyiclic antidepressent, but does not have the two compents on an ssri. a tricyclic antidepressant has the same 2 reuptake inhibitors as a a ssri , but tyclics have Norepenephrine reuptake.inhibiters. I have been trycyclics for awhile now and IMO they are MUCH more effective in managing pain that acetamenophen. all of this acetmenophine is ruining our livers............Okay so about 30 min have passed since my first dose of nucynta....and after only 30 mnutes since taking my first nucynta I can tell you THIS IS NO TRAMADOL OR ULTRAM! I"m guessing that this drug after time wil take over the percocet/hydro/opiates (opioids) with tyle From my persectie 350mg of Mucynta is equivilate to 120 mg of oxy. but I just took it and so I'lll be back.... so far this is a great brekthru pain med because it kicks in so fast.

Sorry, but I couldn't find spellcheck
    Sorry about the sloopy post but I just took my first ever Nucycnta about 20 mutes ago

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deb53 View Post
    Hi Rita,
    Someone just told me about this..it is Nucynta...look online. It is a combination of a an SSRI antidepressant and pain med. I am on Savella and pain meds now and they are not doing very well. I am going to ask my doc about this when I go in a few weeks. Keep us posted on how this works for you. Good luck!

Deb

Last edited by pickupscripts; 06-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Closed Thread