It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• Pharmacy Problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
    Pharmacy Problem

Here is my situation: My meds run out Saturday. My PM won't do refills on Fridays so I put in a refill request yesterday so they could authorize the refill today. I am leaving to go out of town (another state) tomorrow morning. When I went to pick up the script I was told "too early to refill". I explained the situation to the clerk who went and talked to the pharmacist. The pharmacist never talked to me but the clerk came back and suggested that I call the doctor tomorrow. I explained that the doctor's office will not refill on Fridays and that I was leaving early. She then checked on my picking up the script at the pharmacy in the town where I am going.
    I was told that you can't cross state lines with controlled substance refills. (this is Hydro 7.5) So, I basically had no options but to wait until I return on Sunday.

I was furious as I was not asking for a refill weeks or even days early. It was 30 HOURS. I have been getting scripts for the same med from this pharmacy for going on four years. I have NEVER filled early and in fact 15 day scripts have often lasted me 1-2 months. Not these days but my point is my history clearly shows that I have never abused my meds. I was furious. Am I out of line? Doesn't the pharmacist have the authority to release the script if the doctor has authorized it? Or maybe my doctor said I couldn't have it until Saturday?

What do you guys do when you are going to run out on a weekend? I am new to PM so don't know how to handle this. Luckily my husband has some Lortab 5's left over from a recent knee surgery so I can take 1 and 1/2 of those until Sunday but what if I didn't have that option?

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
    pmtest
    (female)

pmtest HB User
    Re: Pharmacy Problem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
    Here is my situation: My meds run out Saturday. My PM won't do refills on Fridays so I put in a refill request yesterday so they could authorize the refill today.emmie
    Is the dr not there on Friday's or they just dont do refills? I would call them in the morning, even if you are no longer in town, just to explain to them what happened. And then you could find out if it was the dr or the pharamicist.

Quote:
    I was told that you can't cross state lines with controlled substance refills. (this is Hydro 7.5) So, I basically had no options but to wait until I return on Sunday. emmie
    It seems like if this was the case, then they would not have looked in to getting your refill out of state. I have never heard of this, but that does not mean its not the case.

Quote:
    Doesn't the pharmacist have the authority to release the script if the doctor has authorized it? Or maybe my doctor said I couldn't have it until Saturday?emmie
    YES the pharmacist can do this, they can refuse to fill your script their if they really wanted to. Maybe you should have asked if your dr ok'd it and you would know for sure and then that way you would know before calling the dr. Was this filed on your insurance? If so this could also have something to do with it.

i really do hate that this happened to you. That goodness you have somewhat of a back up plan

Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
    emmie54
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I'm not sure if the doctor is there on Fridays or not. I know there is a big sign saying they don't do refills on Friday and it was in the contract as well. I don't think I will call since I have a back up plan but I will ask them about it at my next visit.

I really didn't think about insurance possibly being the issue. I know I didn't ask enough questions. I was caught off guard and really didn't know what to do or what the options were.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited by emmie54; 09-24-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I doubt it's the insurance per se, declining the refill....They usually permit a couple days early on all meds....For exactly these type of reasons.

Thus, it's probably the pharmacist being extra strict. I would try again to refill it tomorrow. Chances are you'll get a different tech and / or a different pharmacist. Plus, it will be one day later, which may make a difference in their eyes. When you went to fill it on Thursday, it was two days early. On Friday, it will only be a day early.

It's all about the pharmacist.

Hope this works out for you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
    Leo123
    Veteran
    (male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I actualy think it might be you insurance saying refill is too early, cause otheriwse if you were just paying cash I honsetly think you would have got the script.

Maybe you should just offer to pay cash.

Ask the Clerk if its not being filled because insurance is not paying because it is too early and then just say that you are willing to pay cash because you are going out of town and don;t want to run out of supply. Hydro is very cheap and it sound like you are taking a fairly low quantity so maybe it would cost you about $20.00 - $30.00 or less for cash.

Second as far as Hydro is concerned I'm pretty sure you can get the script filled across statelines. So that is tru maybe you can just take the script with you or find a Pharmacy in the town you are going to and call and ask them to transfer one of the refills.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
    sophie56
    Veteran
    (female)

sophie56 HB User

Again, look at your contract. I am only allowed to use one pharmacy.
    BTW, they would not let me fill hydro in another state...it may vary from state to state.
    Sophie 56

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
    LuvMyPittie
    (female)

LuvMyPittie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sophie56 View Post
    Again, look at your contract. I am only allowed to use one pharmacy.
    BTW, they would not let me fill hydro in another state...it may vary from state to state.
    Sophie 56
    ...Must be state to state...A couple of years ago , I was able to transfer my scripts ( on time mind you) but to another pharmacy in another state, same chain, for a refill...I was only out of state for that time frame, and returned to the original next refill...

Last edited by LuvMyPittie; 09-25-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added another state

Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post

Second as far as Hydro is concerned I'm pretty sure you can get the script filled across statelines.
    It all depends on which two states are involved. It comes down to whether or not the state you are going to recognizes or accepts the DEA license of your Doc. Each state is different. Some states will recognize neighboring states, but not other states. Some states (like Virginia) will recognize many states.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 09-25-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
    ThreeBadDiscs
    (female)

ThreeBadDiscs HB User

I agree w/ LuvMyPittie - I tried to get a refill for Hydro once whle on vacation in Michigan. They said no. Then we went to drive home and spent the night in Ohio. Went to a Walgreens there and asked and they said, "Sure, no problem." So it definitely is state to state, which is annoying. Conformity is good, people!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
    demid30
    (male)

demid30 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    I actualy think it might be you insurance saying refill is too early, cause otheriwse if you were just paying cash I honsetly think you would have got the script.

Maybe you should just offer to pay cash.

Ask the Clerk if its not being filled because insurance is not paying because it is too early and then just say that you are willing to pay cash because you are going out of town and don;t want to run out of supply. Hydro is very cheap and it sound like you are taking a fairly low quantity so maybe it would cost you about $20.00 - $30.00 or less for cash.

Second as far as Hydro is concerned I'm pretty sure you can get the script filled across statelines. So that is tru maybe you can just take the script with you or find a Pharmacy in the town you are going to and call and ask them to transfer one of the refills.

I know that wallgreens wouldnt let me fill my script once cause they said it was too early and I dont have insurance. It depends on the pharmacy I guess. Usually if your paying cash you can always get it filled. But at a chain pharmacy they will not do it.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
    guy in AU
    (male)

guy in AU HB User

Ask to speak to the pharmacist, rather than let a shop assistant speak to him /her for you.

State your case to the pharmacist as you have here.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:28 AM   #12
    tiggertoo2174
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

If it was 30 hours the insurance most likely would not deny it, almost all insurance will allow you to fill at least a day or two early, mine allows 7 days or the point where you would have 1/4 of the script left.

I guess with the states it must depend on which states and maybe the cities. I live in a major metro area that covers two states. It's very common for someone in the state I live in to have a Dr. in the other state. They must have an agreement to allow across the state line, I know that after I moved from one state to the other I did not change Dr's or dentists for several years. I had to have a root canal and received a vicodan script from the oral surgeon in the other state and filled it here - no problem.

My Dr and pharmacy will certainly let me fill on Friday if my script is due on Saturday - no way to pick it up from the doc if it's on Sat. or Sun., although the pharmacy is open. My pharmacy ((Hy-Vee) has never questioned it and I'm on schedule II meds.

I'd talk to the Dr. about it next time you go in, and I'd also talk to the head pharmacist. It's possible it was a the clerk not knowing what to do and just saying NO to avoid having to do the work to find out. If the head pharmacist says you can't fill on Friday for something due on Sat when you are going out of town, find a new parmacy.

Good luck.

Tigg.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
    mark76
    (male)

mark76 HB User

If you're that close to running out, it seems like you are close to 30 days since your last script. If, so it wouldn't be an early refill (i.e, pretty much all insurance, and for sure all pharmacies would allow you to refill when you have gone through at most 75% or 80% of your last prescription). Glad to hear things went ok this time, however.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My doctor referred me to a pharmacy that specializes in pain medicine and pain management patients. It was been WONDERFUL. Not sure if that's an option in your area.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

All ideas here are valid - it does vary from state to state, but also another factor is the prescription accounting software that the pharmacies use. Sometimes their software is date-conscious and won't even print a label until the time-line has passed. Here in Rochester MN I use Webber-Judd and I know the pharmacists personally, so it helps. Obviously they wouldn't do anything against the rules, but they will work very hard to get my scripts dispensed if I'm a day early. It really pays to get to know your pharmacists and if you go to a distant city frequently, get to know a pharmacist there as well. Once they know you're about business and not trying to hoard drugs, they'll ease up and work well with you.

Closed Thread