It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New Duragesic Patch Design

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #31
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

I've had the new patches now 2 weeks and they are working just fine. In fact the month before this one my pharmacist couldn't get Duragesic in so I had Actavis for the first time. I put one on and the next 2 days were terrible. My husband asked if it was the patch and I said no, it had to be something else. I went back to Duragesic as I still ahd a few at home. About 2 weeks later I put another Actavis on and by the next day I could barely move from pain. So for me, Actavis does not work. I am very happy with the new Duragesic and I love the new design.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #32
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullymom View Post
    I was wondering how the transition from the patch to Kadian was. Was yours an immediate switch to Kadian? Did you find it difficult at all to make the transition? I will probably be getting the new duragesic next time I get my refills and I can't tell you how much I am dreading that. Anything you could share Ex would be appreciated. If this is not the correct thread to ask this question could you please pm me? Thanks for all you do
    Bullymom
    I have three friends who have made the transition to the new design patches, and are having very very few problems. Keep in mind that the change will affect everyone differently, so how you view the change is going to have something to do with how you adjust. If you go into it very nervous and expecting trouble, chances are good that you'll have trouble. I'd go into it with a positive attitude and see how it goes. Let me know how you do. I'm compiling data on the new design and problems people are having - if any - adjusting to the new patch.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 PM   #33
    dave490
    (male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post
    I've had the new patches now 2 weeks and they are working just fine. In fact the month before this one my pharmacist couldn't get Duragesic in so I had Actavis for the first time. I put one on and the next 2 days were terrible. My husband asked if it was the patch and I said no, it had to be something else. I went back to Duragesic as I still ahd a few at home. About 2 weeks later I put another Actavis on and by the next day I could barely move from pain. So for me, Actavis does not work. I am very happy with the new Duragesic and I love the new design.

Melissa
    Hi Mel - I have a feeling much of your lack of difficulty has to do with your positive attitude. As I just posted to bullymom - additude makes a huge difference in how the switch goes. Of course the change affects people differently, but 99% of pain management and meds is attitude and if it's positive like yours, it should go smoothly. Thanks for sharing

Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #34
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    That's great news Melissa. Are the new patches quite a bit smaller? I would imagine so. How do they stick, compared to the previous type? I assume you're using actual Duragesic brand, right?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #35
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

I'm very happy to hear all the positive posts regarding the new duragesic patch. I agree with Dave, attitude is a big part of pain management. I am feeling better about trying the new patch. I had such a horrible experience with the Mylan patch I think I was doing a little too m uch projecting. I will let ya'll know how thing turn out. Thanks,
    Bullymom

Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #36
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Thanks Dave, I try! I do agree that attitude makes a big difference.

Hey Ex, yes it was and is Duragesic. My doc is the one who told me to stop using Mylan and go to Duragesic. He started writing Med. Necessary on the script although my insurance does allow me to pay a higher copay if I want brand. The new ones are about half the size, which I like a lot. Also, I would have issues with the adhesive on the gel style and with this kind it doesn't bother me at all. So overall a great change.

Bully, I really think the Mylan was crappy, my doc said all his patients had issues and I wasn't thrilled with it although it was horrible for me. The new one is much better in my opinion.

Melissa

Old 11-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
    Bully, I really think the Mylan was crappy, my doc said all his patients had issues and I wasn't thrilled with it although it was horrible for me. The new one is much better in my opinion.
    Same here Melissa....When I was on the patch, my Doc actually gave me a pretty strong lecture about not using Mylan. He said that if i used it and had trouble, to not call and want a new script because he was warning me up front. Like your Doc Melissa, my Doc also said that feedback from his patients was negative. I was scared to try them.

If one types "Mylan patch" into the search bar and researches old posts / threads, the feedback is not good. In fact, one is hard pressed to find much positive at all. I think patient testimonials are huge, IMHO.

Unfortunately, the Mylan's are stocked in just about every pharmacy because they are so cheap. Thus, pharmacies make more money on them when they sell them (vs other brands). BTW, Watsons are the most expensive generic while Sandoz is in between Watson and Mylan.

Glad to hear the new Duragesics are smaller and stick better. Sounds like an improvement all the way around.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
    upnmytree
    (male)

upnmytree HB User

i'm blown away by what i've been reading. i just got my new duragesic patches today and they were different so i decided to google it to see what was up. so i'm new to all of this message board stuff. i've been on the patch for almost 5 years now...every brand everyone has named. i've had problems with rash, problems where the patch didn't last as long as it was supposed to, having it fall off...probably all the same stuff everyone else has had.

now i'm reading all this and it's like a "eureka" moment for me. i was on the generic versions of the patch for 4 years. last december i qualified for patient assistance and got put on the name brand duragesic. it was a big difference going from sandoz to duragesic. i had been on and off mylan and sandoz before being that i had to switch pharmacies numerous times do to some just not wanting to carry the meds i needed. but, the name brand really helped iron out a lot of issues i had with the other brands. i really had no idea anyone talked about this stuff online tho.

now i'm reading about this 20% thing and then reading more to find out what it is...and everything starts to make so much sense. i just put the new patch on a few hour ago and seems to be ok. i do feel a little heat from it...not quite burning, but warming. hopefully i don't get the rash like the mylan ones gave me.

also...was anyone else on actiq, then taken off by ur insurance company? just wondering...cuz anthem took me off it after 3 years, stating it was only going to be covered for cancer. this transition has sucked. i have chronic pancreatitis and get what they call "flair ups" everyday. actiq really helped when that whole other level of pain kicked in. now i'm on hydrocodone...which doesn't help at all...but when taken with my phenergan, it helps knock me out. which is what i want at that point anyway. but the loss of actiq has taken away many daily activities that i used to do.

thanks for all the info on here.

shawn

Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #39
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by upnmytree View Post
    i'm blown away by what i've been reading. i just got my new duragesic patches today and they were different so i decided to google it to see what was up. so i'm new to all of this message board stuff..............

........now i'm reading all this and it's like a "eureka" moment for me.
    Welcome to Healthboards Shawn. Many here have lots of experiences, thus, they can offer lots of support and guidance. This is a great site and I hope you find your time here helpful. I know I have.

Quote:
    now i'm reading about this 20% thing and then reading more to find out what it is...and everything starts to make so much sense.
    Yes, it's amazing how few people know about this 20% concept. I've found that even some pharmacists don't know. Docs know, however, but they don't talk about it much (unless asked) because it's a very complicated topic and most patients just wouldn't understand. The moral of the story is don't jump around between brands of any med because they're all at different intervals. Pick one and stay with it.

Quote:
    also...was anyone else on actiq, then taken off by ur insurance company? just wondering...cuz anthem took me off it after 3 years, stating it was only going to be covered for cancer.
    Yes, I have heard about this quite a bit actually. It seems that many of the carriers have all decided to drop coverage because it's so expensive. Retail price is about $600 a box of 30. The maker of the sticks, Cephalon, has been constantly raising the price over the last couple of years and it's become outrageous. Not long ago, it was only about $2 a dose, and now it's over $20.

I have read where many people who have lost coverage are now using a compounding pharmacy. Some compounders won't make it because it involves fentanyl, but many will. You have to get a slightly different dosage than what's commercially available...It's against the patent to make the exact same dosages as the patent holder. So, if one is on a 400 mcg dose for example, the compounder makes them in 500mcg or maybe even 450...Something like that. You may want to talk to your Doc about this.

I'm surprised you're able to go from fentanyl to hydrocodone...A huge difference in narcotic strength. Did you experience any withdrawals? Also, what strength are you on? From what I hear, it's a great med and works very well for a lot of people. It's too bad that it's become so expensive and thus, unavailable to most patients in need.

Best of luck to you and glad to hear that this information has been helpful.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #40
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey Shawn, I hope you have good luck with the new patch. I am definately staying with Brand no matter what. There currently is a study going on where they are trying to get Fentora approved for chronic pain not just cancer pain. Fentora is just like the actiq, but instead of a pop with sugar in it it is like an effervescence. You put in between cheek and gum and it dissolves. Tastes terrible! But if the study shows it works, which it should maybe it will be approved for chronic pain. Unfortunately they don't say how long before it may be available. I know the last time I looked, they were still taking people for the study so it may be awhile.

Melissa

Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #41
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    There currently is a study going on where they are trying to get Fentora approved for chronic pain not just cancer pain. Fentora is just like the actiq, but instead of a pop with sugar in it it is like an effervescence. You put in between cheek and gum and it dissolves. Tastes terrible! But if the study shows it works, which it should maybe it will be approved for chronic pain. Unfortunately they don't say how long before it may be available. I know the last time I looked, they were still taking people for the study so it may be awhile.
    Melissa is correct. I've followed Cephalon's quarterly conf. calls to analysts and I've heard the Cephalon executives talk about that the were pushing for a broader label. Not sure if it's gonna happen or not because it's fent. It's not much cheaper than Actiq and I'm not so sure that even if it gets approved, that it will be insurance friendly.

The irony of all this is that even though Actiq & Fentora are only approved for Cancer pain, they've been covered by many insurance policies for quite some time. However, now that many layers of cost increases have gone through, it's suddenly been pulled from insurance formularies. It's not a "cancer pain" issue, but a cost issue. The carriers use the approval as an excuse to not cover the med because it's so expensive. Even if a drug is "approved", nothing says they have to cover it under their formulary. That's the big misconception about insurance. Many think that because they have insurance, they are covered. In reality, when you have insurance, you are covered for whatever that particular policy pays for.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #42
    dennis45
    (male)

dennis45 HB User

Hi all, haven't posted in a while until I seen the message on the new patches. I've been on the new Duragesic patches for about 2 weeks and they are working about as well as the Mylan patches did a fewyears ago. Meaning hardly at all. After about 36hrs the pains start coming back and back hard. Before on the old ones I could sometimes leave them on for up to 4 days. Going to have to talk to my Dr. to see if he will at least change them to every 48hrs insted of 72hrs. Hope some of the rest of you have better luck.
    Take care,
    Dennis

Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #43
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Just want to add my 2c's worth regarding the new duragesic matrix design. I use 75 every 48 hrs and now have my second patch on. I was shocked to find that I have had a little trouble keeping this patch on. I had to place a bioclusive cover on both of them. As far as pain control, they have been far superior to the teva generics I was given to try. After about 32 hours of putting on the generic patch, I started to experience some w/d symptoms. I'm not as happy with the matrix as I was with the gel patch, but the pain coverage is adequate and I have not had any problems with withdrawl. Thank Goodness!!

Bullymom

Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #44
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullymom View Post
    I'm not as happy with the matrix as I was with the gel patch, but the pain coverage is adequate and I have not had any problems with withdrawl.
    Sometimes when product changes like this occur.....Or if someone transitions between "brand" and "generic", Docs will bump them up to the next dosage strength to compensate for the difference. It's important to note that when this happens, the patient isn't really increasing the strength, or moving up in dosage, but rather offsetting the difference.

I had to do this once when my insurance forced me from brand to generic on one of my BT meds. The generic was much weaker (remember the thread on the 20% rule), and when I mentioned it to my Doc, he bumped me up a strength. I told him that I was a bit concerned about increasing the strength and therefore my tolerance and he was very adamant that it was very close to an equal tradeoff.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #45
    turtletm
    (male)

turtletm HB User

*Mylan's matrix patch is NOTHING like the BRAND DURAGESIC MATRIX patch. Mylan was HORRIBLE!!! BRAND DURAGESIC IS WONDERFUL and superior in every way(sticks on till you take it off, feels skin like)

I have to personally say that the New Duragesic Patch design is by far the best. I had been using the generic watson one's and was, for the most part, happy with them. I am on the 75 patch. I always had to use a tegraderm cover, otherwise the gel patch was surely not going to last the 72 hours. Before my PM doc moved me to fentanyl, I had been using oxycontin, even though it was long lasting, it isnt constant like the patch, so my mood could heavily be influenced by AM, PM, and sometimes mid-day regiment. Im sure everyone who is dealing with legitiment chronic pain, knows how hard it can be to have to plan your day around a heavy narcotic pill.
    The patch has been a gift. I feel that I got my life back. My pain is under control, and and my mood is stable, and I no longer have to plan my day around pills, it truly gave me my life back. So I would talk to your PM about fentanyl if your unhappy with your current PM.
    Now to the new Duragesic patch matrix design. Like i mentioned before, I used the watson brand, but it was ackword when people hugged you(the krinkle of the gel patch), and it was a hassle to use the tegraderm patch, but it I needed it in order for it to stay on(they would come off durring showering, swimming, and occasionally my girlfriend would accidently tear it off durring intimate times). My PM doc also warned me about the Mylan brand, but luckily he wrote me a new script when they didnt work for me. So I went back to the watson brand untill my insurance recently covered the brand name at no cost to me. Imagine my excitment when I found out I could get the actual brand Duragesic Patches.
    It should be noted that I love the Duragesic Brand patch, more importantly, people should not be scared because they resemble the Mylan patch. They have a completly different matrix then the Mylan brand. They are superior to any other patch I've ever used. I would recomend the Brand Duragesic Patch if you can offord it, otherwise it would be the generic watson, but its a distant second. My girlfriend hardly notices the patch on me. It sticks till you take it off. $615.99 for a months supply is exspensive, so I would push your insurance company to pay for them, have your PM doc work with them, or try applying for Rx assistance programs, because now that i've been using the Brand Duragesic for a little over 2 weeks now, I would not go back to anything else.

Closed Thread