It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board

• New Duragesic Patch Design

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #61
    Alyxthemia
    (female)

Alyxthemia HB User
    Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Executor View Post
    Yes, the brand is far superior. By virtue of the Hatch-Waxman Act, generics have the permission to be up to 20% less than the brand in terms of the active ingredient. Congress gave them this exemption as a way to keep costs down for generics.

The brand also has better glue, IMHO.

I think this is the case because some of the fent gets tied up into the glue / mass that's all mixed together. Conversely, with the previous design, the reservoir was a very precise timed release of the fent. Any variability was caused by the temp of one's skin...Fever, sweating, metabolism, and etc., or a patch that was not applied well (i.e not 100% direct contact with the skin).

With the new design, there is no reservoir and all the med, by products, glue and etc is all mixed together as one mass (think of it as a cake mix) and then spread on the patch. This has always been the rub with Mylan....Not enough fent and it gets tied up in the glue and doesn't transfer well, or uniformly.

Great news that the new product is working as good, if not better than the old. I've heard from several that it sticks better also, which will only help the product work as it supposed to.

Regards,

Ex
    Not everyone is having a favorable response to the new Duragesic Matrix patches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #62
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Wink Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

It's funny I have been on the Mylan (matrix design) Fentanyl patch since my PM doctor started me on the patch in August, 2009 and it has worked great since I first started using the patch. Prior to the patch, I would be in so much pain getting up in the morning and would have to wait to take my pain medication to take effect to move comfortably. I knew the patch was working effectively because of the ease of getting of bed (which I hadn't experienced in years). I find they work great adhesive wise with minimal side effects. It could be that I have no basis of comparison (since I have never been on another type). But, I have found the Mylan Matrix design to be very effective.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #63
    kiteflyer2009
    (female)

kiteflyer2009 HB User
    Cool Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

Hi guys.

Have any of you guys in the USA or regions where the Duragesic brand patches are being changed from the reservoir delivery system to the flat matrix system noticed if the spelling on the box has also changed to Dur-O-gesic (Durogesic)? Since starting on them 3 plus years ago I've always been dispensed Janssen-Cilag "Durogesic" Matrix patches no matter the strength. ( Currently 75mcg ). It seems that here in Australia, our National Prescribing Service/TGA passed over the reservoir system altogether and only approved the Matrix Design.
    I'd be interested to know if the spelling on the Janssen ones has changed just for sheer curiosity if anyone doesn't mind answering.
    Cheers
    Kite

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #64
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Alyathemia.....

It looks like your response regarding the new patch design has been added to an old post. I will tell you that Watson still produces the fentanyl patch with the gel resivoir. My sister uses them and her pharmacy orders them for her every month. I do not know if they have plans to switch over. I can't help but think that eventually they will all be going to the matrix style patch. I was like you and I hated all the generics that were matrix and the gel worked better for me too. However, I must say that the new Duragesic brand is working well and has more fentanyl in the new design than the older gel style patch they used to make. Perhaps you could check and see if your pharmacy could order the Watson brand generic patch for you????

To kiteflyer....

I use the brand from Janssen and they still have the spelling "duragesic " on the box here in the USA. I am also on 75mcg.

I hated to hear they were changing the style of the patch as well, but it really has not been that bad. Thank God I am able to still get the brand name, becuase none of the generics work for me either.

Good luck,

Bullymom

Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #65
    Alyxthemia
    (female)

Alyxthemia HB User

Bully Mom...

Sorry, but I can't use the generics AT ALL... I've tried them all and none of them works. I have a box of Watson patches here that does NOTHING [except put me into withdrawals]. To help my pain.

I am going through withdrawals As I type this [ while where a NEW Duragesic 100mcg patch] These matrix designs are WORTHLESS to me.

Worse yet, I am having gut trouble start again because of the spasms the pain causes. It is only going to be a matter of days before I end up in the hospital ... Why did they have to destroy the only thing that helped me have a semi-normal life??

I will make sure if I decide to end it that I have a new patch packet on me with a note on it asking why they had to do this to me....

Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #66
    kiteflyer2009
    (female)

kiteflyer2009 HB User

Hi There Aly,

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Has your Dr considered any of the oral Fentanyl preparations like Cephalons (sp?) Fentora or Actiq to help relieve your ridiculously high pain levels? A friend of mine who was using the Gel patches needed a higher dose of the Matrix patch to help resolve her sudden pain flare after having to change from the Janssen Gels to the Matrix design as like yourself she doesn't seem to do nearly as well on the second. Just a suggestion. I hope you find a resolution soon.
    Much sympathy
    Kite

Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #67
    bullymom
    Veteran
    (female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Aly,

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Kite has a good point about trying actiq but I have a feeling your insurance company will nix that idea as well. Please hang in there.

bullymom

Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #68
    eddowens
    (female)

eddowens HB User

Hi Ex,

I am VERY new at this and wanted to ask you something that I tried to post to one of your replies to 'Perocet Help'...here's what I wrote...

Hi Ex,

You wrote in an earlier post about not wanting to deal with the methadone issues? I am wondering exactly what you were referring to. I am on it and not too happy with it. It does help with the pain, but not as much as I'd hope. I have a long history of back problems (30+ yrs, & I'm 44), pelvic pain and in the last 4 years, hand and arm surguries (2) and pain that has resulted from those failed surguries. My GP had me on Darvocet, Vicodin, Ultram and ONCE when I was dying from the pain, he gave me Percocet. Mostly it was Vicodin and after about 5 years he went to 100mg Fent patch for 3 months (didn't do much) then to the Methadone. Started that at 30mg 2 x daily and went up to where I am now, 120mg 2 x daily. (so 240mg daily for 3 yrs now). I really want to switch back to something different, oxy or something that might let me feel again. Is that what you were talking about? Feeling? Or was there more? I do know that when I have tried to slow it down I have some weird things like very weird, lucid dreams...sometimes they're not too bad, even entertaining, but the lower and longer I go, the worse they get.

Please let me know. I want to talk to my doc. My old doc retired 3 mos ago and the new guy seems pretty good, but I am not sure how to approach him. He's a young guy and seemed pretty thorough when we met for the first time. He did say that he had no problem continuing my Methadone without meeting me right away because of my extensive medical file.

This is the first time I have posted, so I am not sure if I should be posting here or elsewhere, I just liked what you wrote and the Methadone mention of yours caught my eye.

Please let me know what you think...And thanks for any advice you might have for me.

Thx!
    Emily

Last edited by eddowens; 06-18-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the dreams coming off methadone...

Closed Thread