HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   New Duragesic Patch Design (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/715364-new-duragesic-patch-design.html)

Executor 10-01-2009 09:44 AM

New Duragesic Patch Design

Thought I would throw this out there in case anyone doesn't know yet. Unfortunately, when product changes like this occur, people usually don't find out until they pick up their meds.:(

Apparently, the new Duragesic patch is flatter and the fentanyl is combined with the adhesive....Sounds like it's similar to the Mylan brand. Duragesic is touting that this new design prevents accidental exposure to gel. I'm sure the design change is in response to potential abuse and the many recalls due to accidental slit reservoirs.

I will also assume this design change effects Sandoz as Janssen (maker of Duragesic) makes those patches as well.

Regards,

Ex

Boxerluver 10-01-2009 07:54 PM

Re: New Duragesic Patch Design

I had heard this and I was excited to try it as I like that kind better as long as they work. I found that the Mylan brand did not cover my pain like Duragesic. I went to get my meds and my pharmacist wasn't able to get Duragesic at all so I got actavis. Never tried that kind before and my hubby said it made me cranky!!:D He told me to never get that kind again<hehe>. Hopefully she'll have the new Duragesic next month.

dave490 10-01-2009 07:58 PM

Sandoz hasn't changed yet. I just refilled my 50mcg/hr patches, and they're the original design. I hope they do change it though, and prehaps make the patch itself a little smaller. Mine feels like a body wrap lol

Executor 10-02-2009 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=daveseavy;4091085]

Sandoz hasn't changed yet. I just refilled my 50mcg/hr patches, and they're the original design. [/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is probably quite a bit of existing product in the channel pipeline. When things like this happen, it's hit or miss on what areas get them first & etc.

Regards,

Ex

Boxerluver 10-02-2009 04:39 PM

Dave, me too!! What I did like about the Mylan was the size, it didn't look so big and I could hide it better. I hope the Duragesic are small like that!

Melissa

Executor 10-02-2009 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=Boxerluver;4091677]

I hope the Duragesic are small like that![/QUOTE]

I'm going to be [U]very interested[/U] to hear the feedback on this new design. When I was on the patch, my PM Doc absolutely forbid me from using Mylan due to the matrix design....He said that because the glue and fentanyl were all mixed together, that the release of the med was very inconsistent and that sometimes the glue got in the way & etc. He said the reservoir system employed by Duragesic was far superior.

However, I feel quite sure the issue of abuse and the many recalls have now trumped the potential advantage of the previous design.

Actually, I was permitted to get the Mylan, but he told me that if I had problems, not to ask for any type of replacement script, so I was afraid to fill my Rx with them. I used either Sandoz or Duragesic. I could tell a big difference between the two as the Duragesic were much more potent (probably due to the 20% thing).

Regards,

Ex

Boxerluver 10-02-2009 06:57 PM

Hey Ex, I assumed as well that a lot had to do with the 20% thing. My doc began putting Brand necessary years ago so I mostly have been with Duragesic. I was sure hoping that it being the brand that the new matrix would be OK, but like you said we will see. I have decided to get most of my meds as Brand after reading all about the 20% difference. Most will only be a little bit more copay and I think it's worth it.

Melissa

Executor 10-02-2009 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Boxerluver;4091732]

My doc began putting Brand necessary years ago so I mostly have been with Duragesic. [/QUOTE]

Melissa- What did your Doc have to say about the 20% concept? Did he ask you where you learned about it? I assume he was ok with the brand since he wrote "brand necessary" on the script.

[QUOTE][i]
I have decided to get most of my meds as Brand after reading all about the 20% difference. Most will only be a little bit more copay and I think it's worth it.[/QUOTE][/i]

Have you been able to tell a difference? My experience has been that it's very noticeable. In fact, because the difference was so profound, I started doing research on the subject and that's when I found the Hatch-Waxman Act.

No Doc has ever told me on his own about the 20% difference. However, when I bring it up, they all nod their head in agreement. I guess they know all about it, but don't want to either alarm their patients, or they think that the concept is over most of their patient's heads, so they only discuss it when asked.

Regards,

Ex

dave490 10-02-2009 10:18 PM

I hope they do change it - if I end up on 100mcg/hr eventually, the current one would be like a body wrap lol.

Boxerluver 10-03-2009 04:06 PM

Ex, my doc said all the patients of his who were on the patch said they had issues with Mylan not covering the pain. He actually specifically said he did not want me to use it.

As for my other meds I have noticed a fairly big difference with the generics and after reading the stuff you posted about the Hatch-Waxman Act, I decided paying the extra was worth it.

From my experience, docs used to never feel generics were an issue but I am finding that now they are seeing the same thing we are with the generics just not cutting it. I just cannot believe they get away with a 20% difference!

Melissa

Executor 10-03-2009 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Boxerluver;4092177]

Ex, my doc said all the patients of his who were on the patch said they had issues with Mylan not covering the pain. [/QUOTE]

I've never tried it due to what my Doc told me and I was scared that if I did and something happened, that I'd have a really bad month and I'd be stuck. My pharmacist told me something that I found very interesting...He said that he doesn't have any scientific proof on which meds take advantage of the 20% leeway, but when person after person all tells him the same thing, something is going on....And this is what he said was happening with Mylan....That most had issues.

Now, if one started the patch on Mylan, and had never used fentanyl before, then I could see where it would not be a problem at all.

As for my other meds I have noticed a fairly big difference with the generics and after reading the stuff you posted about the Hatch-Waxman Act, I decided paying the extra was worth it.[/QUOTE]

I have as well, and like you, I pay the penalty. To me, it's worth it.

I just cannot believe they get away with a 20% difference![/QUOTE]

According to the studies, 20% less has the same therapuetic level. That may be true for allergy meds, birth control, antibiotics, and etc......But, for pain meds, 20% is enough to cause mini WDs.

My Pharmacist told me something you'll find interesting....He said that when a Doctor's family member (or the Doc himself) has something serious going on, they almost always get brand only. To me, that says it all right there.

Regards,

Ex

bullymom 10-17-2009 12:48 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these new patches yet?? What do you think of them? I'm not looking forward to this change:( Any idea as to when we can expect this changeover to occur??
Bullymom:wave:

dave490 10-17-2009 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=Executor;4091429]I'm sure there is probably quite a bit of existing product in the channel pipeline. When things like this happen, it's hit or miss on what areas get them first & etc.

Regards,

Ex[/QUOTE]

Nope - my pharmacist told me they haven't changed yet.

dave490 10-17-2009 01:37 PM

I changed from Mylan to Sandoz because of the inconsistent and sometimes almost non-existent pain coverage of the Mylan, and I like the results I'm getting from Sandoz, but I'm finding that I have a skin sensativity to the adhesive on the Sandoz. If anybody else breaks out with a rash at the site that you've applied a Sandoz, I found the Benadryl cream works to stop the itch. I use the Equate version, which is Walmart's version of Benadryl and it works well. Be sure not to place a patch on any area that has the rash (I know that sounds obvious but it's important to stress.) Apparently Duragesic used the same adhesive in the original design, so I'm hopeful the new design works out okay for me. I'm going to try the branded patch next month with the new design to see how it works out. The professionals I've talked to have said, and I tend to agree, that the matrix system isn't the problem as far as pain coverage in Mylan, but that Mylan - being generic - was scrimping a little on the fentanyl mix. I'll let you all know how the new Duragesic works for me. It'll also be interesting to see what kind of price-hike will be involved with the new design v. the original design. I'll know Monday what the price of the new patch will be and either it's going to be significantly higher, or lower to compete with Mylan.

bullymom 10-17-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks for the post Dave. I tried to use the matrix type by mylan once. Had to cut up an entire 90 days supply of them. I am a duragesic gal. I hope the pain coverage is better with the brand, or I will attempt to go to Sandoz. I use mail pharmacy and the only generic they carry is mylan. Keep us posted, Thanks